Walt Disney's DAVY CROCKETT AT THE ALAMO (1955)

Your Favourite Other Alamo Films.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Walt Disney's DAVY CROCKETT AT THE ALAMO (1955)

Postby MartyB on Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Seguin wrote:Article on the making of Disney´s Davy Crockett:

https://waltdisneyandliveaction.com/201 ... -crockett/

GOOD READ...Think I'll get the book...

"The Making of Walt Disney’s Davy Crockett...Explore the fascinating story behind Walt Disney’s Davy Crockett in Walt Disney and Live Action by John G. West....DECEMBER 2, 2016

In the 1950s, Walt Disney’s television mini-series based on the life and exploits of Davy Crockett ignited a national craze that consumed popular culture. By the time the frenzy fizzled, the iconic frontiersman from Tennessee had helped the Disney Studio sell $300 million worth of merchandise—including 4 million records, over 14 million books, and far too many coonskin caps to count. Davy Crockett had become a topic of conversation everywhere from the local Laundromat to New York City society parties. He had been alternately toasted and roasted in the pages of Time, Look, Harper’s, The New York Times Magazine, and Saturday Review. He even had been eulogized on the floor of the United States Congress.

In Walt Disney and Live Action by Disney historian John G. West, go behind the scenes and explore the fascinating story behind Disney’s Davy Crockett. Learn how the episodes were made, the controversy they provoked, and why Disney brought Davy Crockett back to life after killing him off. Also learn about the making of Disney’s television features highlighting other American heroes, real and fictional, including Zorro, Elfego Baca, Swamp Fox, Texas John Slaughter, and more. In addition, get to see for the first time previously unpublished photos taken during the filming of the lavish recreation of the Battle of the Alamo in the third episode of Davy Crockett..."
Attachments
000_000000_a_0a 0a Al a_0  AIN'T IT SO 0a a 000 (0)a.jpg
000_000000_a_0a 0a Al a_0 AIN'T IT SO 0a a 000 (0)a.jpg (151.66 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
000_000000_a_0a 0a Al a_0  AIN'T IT SO 0a a 000 (0).jpg
000_000000_a_0a 0a Al a_0 AIN'T IT SO 0a a 000 (0).jpg (204.13 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 20, 2017 1:49 am

Well, now you've done it! This is a "must have" for me. Thanks for the heads-up, Marty. Obviously, I missed it the first time.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 20, 2017 1:51 am

And I should say "Thank you, Hans!" So..... THANK YOU, HANS!
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Sat May 20, 2017 3:46 am

RLC-GTT wrote:

And I should say "Thank you, Hans!" So..... THANK YOU, HANS!

You´re welcome, Rich! :D - And thank you to Marty for copying the article and
the photos. I should have thought of that myself.

There´s lots of preview pages and photos on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1683900243/

One of the photos in the preview pages:
Attachments
Disney&Grandson.JPG
Disney&Grandson.JPG (48.69 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Tue May 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Just ordered mine!!!! Thanks
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun May 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Got my book and first thing I looked up was old Davy Crockett. Sadly nothing "NEW" here or for that matter any of the other parts of the book I read. "The Films of Walt Disney" is a MUCH BETTER BOOK.
This new book does cover All the Live action films shot but not much added to what has already been written. There are some photos and a few quotes but that's it. Nothing mentioned about the actors and how they were chosen.
I was greatly disappointed especially with the John Slaughter and Elfago Baca. Not much on Andy Burnett either. Save your money!
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon May 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Pretty much finished book. Several films excluded...."Great Locomotive Chase". "Ten Who Dared" (watched it last night...good movie) "Kidnapped" and a few more.
If this was supposed to be DEFINITIVE book on the LIVE ACTION Films of Walt Disney. it missed the mark. 90% of the material source anyone of us can get for free on line except a few photos. This winter I may start a project.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby fespar on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:56 am

Mr.Fess Parker told me that their outfits were made of cowhide and quite uncomfortable.
fespar

Postby SantaClaus on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:46 pm

fespar wrote:Mr.Fess Parker told me that their outfits were made of cowhide and quite uncomfortable.

They used cowhide to save a few bucks. :lol:
Disney learned his lesson when he wasted his doe making "Bambi". :o
Oh, deer! Did I say that? :?
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 pm

You seem to be trying to buck society! Who do you think you are? Lord Venison? :twisted:
RLC-GTT

Postby gh1836 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:51 am

I just read a biography of David Crockett and found out that Farewell to the Mountains was actually written by Crockett. I had always thought it
was a song written for the Disney movie. So Crockett was a talented poet. Who knew?
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby Seguin on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:04 am

gh1836 wrote:I just read a biography of David Crockett and found out that Farewell to the Mountains was actually written by Crockett. I had always thought it
was a song written for the Disney movie. So Crockett was a talented poet. Who knew?

I certainly did´nt. Amazing.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Georgie says to Davy it's the only one you ever writ. Don't you guys remember that????
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby gh1836 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:45 am

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Georgie says to Davy it's the only one you ever writ. Don't you guys remember that????

Yes I remember that...just thought what Georgie had said was just part of the movie and not a lesson in history. :D
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby Seguin on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 am

Right, who would have thought it was for real and not just a fictional part of the movie.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:25 pm

You mean the Movies arn't real? :o
cc nolen

Postby gh1836 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:51 pm

Oh and something else I learned. Crockett knew a fellow named George Russel! I was disappointed to learn Disney's character George Russel was a fictional person. But it appears not! I guess the writer(s) for Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier read this biography and came up with the name for Davy's sidekick. The song lyrics and the name George Russel are historical.
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 am

he was a general's son according to Crockett's autobiography. If you have not read it....it's interesting. He speaks of his second marriage and of the poltiks of the day.
I bought a copy of this years ago at his father's tavern in Tennessee or was it North Carolina.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby gh1836 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 am

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:he was a general's son according to Crockett's autobiography. If you have not read it....it's interesting. He speaks of his second marriage and of the poltiks of the day.
I bought a copy of this years ago at his father's tavern in Tennessee or was it North Carolina.

Was it the biography written for Crockett to set straight an unauthorized biography that he seemed to have angered him?
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:45 am

That is correct. But Crockett wrote it himself -- with help from a fellow Congressman he trusted to correct his worst grammar and help him organize and edit. But it was indeed Crockett's own story. I knew about the song since the sixties when I first read his autobiography, but only recently recalled that George Russell was indeed an officer under Jackson. The character in the screenplay has nothing to do with the real Russell except in name. When the autobiography was republished years later, it was combined with a semi-fictional book titled Davy Crockett's Exploits and Adventures in Texas. This however had some basis in reality. Crockett had apparently written two letters to his publisher after his first book, and the beginning of Exploits and Adventures is based on those letters. Then it goes into a totally fictional ride to the Alamo in which he gathers a colorful group of followers: a gambler, a beekeeper, a preacher, a pirate, an indian.... These are the characters that have been pilfered into both Disney's Davy and John Wayne's The Alamo.
RLC-GTT

Postby bgroneman on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Excerpt from my article "David Crockett - Western Writer"

David Crockett died at the Alamo on March 6, 1836, the most famous participant in the most famous battle of the old Southwest. Surprisingly, his death did not end his literary career. As family, friends, and the country mourned his loss, Carey and Hart faced a different problem – an overstock of Crockett’s Tour to the North and Down East, and a dead author/hero on their hands.
They arrived at a simple solution by hiring Richard Penn Smith to concoct a Crockett “journal,” describing his travels through Texas, and into the Alamo. Carey and Hart provided him with all the books and articles on Texas they could find while the writer worked furiously, producing manuscript pages in the evening, which he delivered to the publisher in the morning. He peopled his story with colorful, but fictional, frontier characters, such as “Thimblerig” the gambler, a beekeeper, and a pirate. He lifted historical material on the Alamo siege directly from the journal of Mexican Colonel Juan N. Almonte, recovered after the battle of San Jacinto, on April 21, 1836, and published in the New York Herald in June. Smith’s book raced along up to a last, breathless journal entry by “Crockett,” for March 5th, in the Alamo. “Pop, pop, pop! Bom, bom, bom! Throughout the day, -- No time for memorandums now. – Go ahead! – Liberty and independence for ever!”

The poem, "Farewell to the Mountains" was written by Richard Penn Smith.
bgroneman

Previous

Return to Other Alamo Related Films.