Handy Household Tips, or Others

Items Of General Interest.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Handy Household Tips, or Others

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:57 am

Do you have any handy household tips to share? Maybe even something you've thought up yourself.

Here's an oldie to get the ball rolling...

Concerned about using that fancy, cup, or collectors mug for fear it may develop a crack from the heat?
Before pouring the hot liquid into the cup, place a common teaspoon in it, then pour into the bowl of the
spoon. The metal will absorb the brunt of the heat and make it less likely to crack the cup.

Next...
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Re: Handy Household Tips, or Others

Postby cc nolen on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:13 pm

If Brian and Jack come to stay a couple of days at your house....buy another Fridge!!! LOL! :shock:
No joke, a spoonful of vinegar relieves heartburn.
Got ants? A bowl of hot soapy water will do the trick.
T-shirts shrinking? Only dry for 5 minutes then hang on a hanger.
Chris... ;)
cc nolen

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:49 pm

cc nolen wrote:If Brian and Jack come to stay a couple of days at your house....buy another Fridge!!! LOL! :shock:
No joke, a spoonful of vinegar relieves heartburn.
Got ants? A bowl of hot soapy water will do the trick.
T-shirts shrinking? Only dry for 5 minutes then hang on a hanger.
Chris... ;)

Florida exterminator's trick for ants: mix boric acid and something sweet (he used mint jelly, I've used honey) into a paste and put a dab where you see the ants.

Haitian remedy for laryngitis: roast some whole, peeled ginger root in the coals of a fire, cool, cut in pieces, roll in sea salt and chew. You can swallow the fibers or not, as you like. You can have no voice tonight, do this before bed and have your voice back the next day. Even better, strong ginger tea will help stave off laryngitis AND open you stuffy sinuses!

Strong scent of leftovers in your Tupperware? Just cut a strong onion or garlic? My mother taught me to scrub the container or your hands (and cutting board) with salt and dish liquid to remove the smell.
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:30 pm

Let the Mr. Coffee coffee pot get brown on the inside from old coffee sitting in it, then nobody can see how dirty it is and you won't have to clean it.
RLC-GTT

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:20 pm

:roll: :roll: I still want an emoji that heaves a big sigh!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Got her again!!! ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:23 am

Well, this seems to be a topic of interest!

Burnt food? Think its ruined? Don't throw it away. Remove from heat, then fill sink with cold water. Submerge pan, or pot in water to stop the cooking process.
(Not allowing the water to rise above the edge of the pot, or pan.) If a liquid, like a soup, or stew, carefully ladle the surface portion into a new cooking receptacle,
taking care not to scoop up any of the burnt portion. Add water, or additional broth. If a solid food like a steak, or chop, remove from pan, scrape away the burned
"crust", rinse meat in cold water, then return to new pan for heating. You may have to add additional seasoning to taste. To remove the burnt aroma from the dish,
squeeze a wedge of lemon into or onto it.

If none of this works, just tell your family, guests that you are treating them to a Cajun Blackened Dinner.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:26 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Let the Mr. Coffee coffee pot get brown on the inside from old coffee sitting in it, then nobody can see how dirty it is and you won't have to clean it.

Reminds me of "Ironside" (Raymond Burr) complaining to his associates for having cleaned the coffee pot. "That's where the flavor was", he bemoaned.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:34 pm

There´s numerous household tips on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ehold+tips
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:42 pm

NefariousNed wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:Let the Mr. Coffee coffee pot get brown on the inside from old coffee sitting in it, then nobody can see how dirty it is and you won't have to clean it.

Reminds me of "Ironside" (Raymond Burr) complaining to his associates for having cleaned the coffee pot. "That's where the flavor was", he bemoaned.

A former field director of our mission in Haiti used to hide his coffee cups all over campus to prevent the cooks from washing them! Even years after Charlie was no longer working in Haiti with us, we were finding some of his "well-seasoned" coffee cups in odd places around campus!!!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby K Hale on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Hire a maid.
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby cc nolen on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:06 pm

K Hale wrote:Hire a maid.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: and a cook!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 pm

While out in the garden today in shorts, I rec'd at least 8 mosquito bites.
Falling back on an easy remedy for the bites, I got a damp wash cloth
with soap, then gently dabbed (not rubbed) each bite with the solution.
Results: NO ITCHING. My sister-in-law Martha suggested that rubbing
ice cubes on the bites will result in the same relief.
NefariousNed

Postby K Hale on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 pm

Soap? Interesting, I'll have to try that. My go-to mosquito bite remedy is to run the bite under the hottest water I can humanly stand. This stops the itching... for awhile.
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:32 am

Comet kitchen/bath cleanser for a scorpion sting.
Decades ago, while looking for something under my bed, I had one hand resting on the corner of the box springs, when I felt something touch my wrist. I looked up and just barely caught a glimpse of something before it ducked under the mattress. Thought at first that it was a cockroach. Then, my wrist began to hurt, :? so I lifted the mattress and saw that the intruder was a scorpion, and I realized the scorpion had stung me. :o Ran over to my friend and neighbor's house, where he quickly dampened my wrist and sprinkled Comet (which contains bleach) onto the sting site, and then he added a few drops more of water, forming a paste of Comet over the spot. Within a minute, the pain was gone, because the venom had been neutralized. :D
Then we came back to my house and located the scorpion who was still hiding under the mattress. My friend captured it, putting it into a glass jar. He toyed with it for awhile and finally dumped the scorpion into a fire. Bye-bye, scorpion. :)
Since then, I've read that either bleach or ammonia will neutralize scorpion venom and take away the sting. Just use one or the other, since combining bleach and ammonia can create a deadly poisonous gas. :shock:
SantaClaus

Postby warren on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 pm

I got popped by a scorpion and though it felt no worse than a bad wasp bite, I looked around for something quick to put on it. Only thing I could think of was baking soda and water, so I made a paste and it quit stinging immediately (your mileage may vary).

That's interesting about hot water on a mesquito bite. I get them a lot so I'll try that. I know that hot water, as hot as you can stand, is the remedy for stingray hits. Never had a sting from one, but every old salt along the coast says to stick your bitten leg or arm, etc., under the boat's hot water engine exhaust.

On an old hunting lease, one morning I was up early and on the board fence that surrounded the bunk house a scorpion and tarantula (both big specimens) were heading in each other's direction. Sadly, this was before cell phones and I didn't have a video camera (or any camera). They both reared-up and went at it. Guess who won - tarantula. No contest. The tarantula wrapped itself around the scorpion and the scorpion's stings seemed to have no effect whatsoever on the tarantula.

Household hint - for wood projects, which I screw up regularly, the best glue I have found, by far, for gluing wood to wood is JB's Wood Weld. Its one of those two tubers you mix together. I think most hardware store carry it. Its the best wood glue I've tried out of many. Sets quick, and cures overnight and best bond I've seen.
warren

Return to Off Topic