Nature's Wrath

Items Of General Interest.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Nature's Wrath

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:37 pm

I've heard from (and about) my cousins and some friends. All are well, thankfully. They have no power, sadly, but little damage. Thank God Irma diminished in strength quickly. My cousin near Ft Myers even has cell phone and internet service as does a friend in Tampa and one in Orlando.
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby cc nolen on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:25 pm

We heard from Linda's brother, Russell last night. He said it was rouh and trees down all over but he rode it out with the patients who could'nt be moved in the Hospital. Everything okay now, but a mess to clean up.
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby mrbassbone on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:39 am

Good Morning! Sunday evening at 8:42PM, our power went out. Barb slept on her recliner in the living room while I cat napped on our sofa. The eye of the storm passed 40 miles west of our house sometime between 0200-0300. I fell asleep afterwards to awake around 0645. Getting dressed, I went outside. Our BRAND NEW FENCE was still intact! The builder was a Master Carpenter who was a General Contractor in the Miami/Dade area and built it to their standards. Prior to the hurricane, neighbors were giving me "grief" over it. Afterwards...those same neighbors came to me for his name. He is now rebuilding 4 fences in the subdivision...but I digress.

Looking at my house in the back yard, I noticed that some of the soffits and facia had been ripped off. I was also able to see that quite a few shingle had been torn off, many loosened and those that remained looked like they had been sandblasted by the force of the wind. My Solar Water Heater Panel was still intact and on the roof as was my Directv receiver...no power, though. As it was getting lighter, I started to walk the streets of my subdivision. Lots of broken tree limbs in the street which I started to remove to the curb. I was soon joined by several neighbors and we continued to clean up the street of the big pieces. Many trees had been damaged, but fortunately, not many homes. One home had most of its shingles torn off down to the paper and wood of the roof, but that was the worst in our area.

Most of Monday was a general cleanup of the area, My contractor came back and together we cleared broken tree branches from my house that overhung the top of the fence and into my next door neighbor's home. Tuesday, I went back to work. Barb had to hang around the house. Bad for her as I had power and a/c at work. We had no damage at The Amway Center downtown.

Wednesday, I got home from work to find Barb NOT at home. A quick call and I was off to CentraCare where she was being treated for a severe reaction to an insect bite. She was ok, but her left forearm was very swollen and blotched. She was treated for it and sent to get her meds. I went home and to my joy, saw lights on in the subdivision! YES...WE HAD POWER...A/C...HOME SECURITY SYSTEM ONLINE...sort of...lolol. Sadly No internet or home phones as they were integrated by AT&T U-verse. THAT was still offline. Our cell phones were working...sort of. Due to widespread damage, AT&T was barely functioning here. All we could to were send and receive texts. As soon as I left this area, I had service.

Fast Forward to Friday...still no U-verse and to a smaller degree...we find out that our checking account has a ZERO BALANCE! So, it was off to Navy Federal Credit Union where it was discovered that somehow Barb had authorized a second payment to them that had zeroed out our account...yes we have overdraft protection from savings...but our cards were malfunctioning. Once we got that cleared up by NavyFed, it was off to Best Buy, for Barb to pick up her new phone and then to AT&T where our service rep was able to contact Billing and got a refund authorized. It will take 2-3 working days, but hey...the ARE giving us back the money.

So...finally all the errands were done and we came back home to a quiet evening and I crashed knowing that I have a 12 hour work day today. I woke up to find that we were back online and the phones were working!!! HENCE the update.

OUR issues were small in the larger scheme. We awoke Monday morning to no power, some damage BUT ALIVE! That was the best thing possible. Our losses were minimal and we had no injuries. Others STILL have no power or worse...no homes. Many have lost their lives. Some needlessly...all tragic. Mother Nature is a Harsh Mistress and must be treated with respect. That is our story...others have similar or worse or luckily...better.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:17 am

Good to hear that you and yours came through the hurricane with only the minor damage that you described. :D
SantaClaus

Postby AlamoGill on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Thank you for the update Shell

Basically we are really glad you made through safely as such because
some of the Florida aftermath we have seen on our BBC News Channel
over here is heartbreaking to watch.

As always our best wishes to you

Gill
AlamoGill

Postby mrbassbone on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Always thankful for your best wishes. There are STILL many without power in the Orlando Area as well as throughout the entire state. This was one for the AGES let alone record books.

AlamoGill wrote:Thank you for the update Shell

Basically we are really glad you made through safely as such because
some of the Florida aftermath we have seen on our BBC News Channel
over here is heartbreaking to watch.

As always our best wishes to you

Gill

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:28 am

As if Hurricane Irma wasn't enough, you still have Jose working it's way to New York and that area and Maria is up to a Cat 4, maybe 5 by now and getting ready to slam the same area Irma blasted through. And the icing on the cake, a 7.1 earthquake hits the Mexico City area and so far, over 100 people confirmed dead.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby mrbassbone on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm

TexianAtHeartII wrote:As if Hurricane Irma wasn't enough, you still have Jose working it's way to New York and that area and Maria is up to a Cat 4, maybe 5 by now and getting ready to slam the same area Irma blasted through. And the icing on the cake, a 7.1 earthquake hits the Mexico City area and so far, over 100 people confirmed dead.

Maria just hit the P.R> as a Cat 5 and the eye is just to the SW of San Juan. Not good at all for that city and the island in general. Over 200 dead now and the toll will still climb for that 7.1 quake.

mrbassbone

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:27 am

And a 6.1 earthquake hits about 180 miles west of the Japanese coast, though it doesn't appear to be threatening Japan like the 2011 one did.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby SantaClaus on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:And a 6.1 earthquake hits about 180 miles west of the Japanese coast, though it doesn't appear to be threatening Japan like the 2011 one did.

Maybe that earthquake west of Japan was caused by Kim Jong-un jumping up and down in celebration of his newest ICBM or nuclear warhead. ;)
SantaClaus

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote: ...a 7.1 earthquake hits the Mexico City area and so far, over 100 people confirmed dead.

At least 230 people, including 21 schoolchildren, are dead after a magnitude 7.1 earthquake rocked central Mexico on Tuesday afternoon, hitting on
the 32nd anniversary of the biggest quake to strike the country's capital. The disaster came as Mexico still reels from a powerful tremor that killed
nearly 100 people in the south of the country less than two weeks ago.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:19 am

NefariousNed wrote:
TexianAtHeartII wrote: ...a 7.1 earthquake hits the Mexico City area and so far, over 100 people confirmed dead.

At least 230 people, including 21 schoolchildren, are dead after a magnitude 7.1 earthquake rocked central Mexico on Tuesday afternoon, hitting on
the 32nd anniversary of the biggest quake to strike the country's capital. The disaster came as Mexico still reels from a powerful tremor that killed

I don´t think I´ve heard of an earthquake above 7.1, but there may have been a few slightly worse. :(
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby mrbassbone on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:54 pm

You have not been reading or checking history, then. One of the LARGEST on record is what has been called The Great Alaskan Earthquake...March 27, 1964. The ground started shaking in Anchorage at 5:36 PM and shook for nearly 5 minutes. Originally pegged at 8.6 on the Richter Scale, it was revised to 9.2 on the Moment Magnitude Scale. There have been 5 quakes at 9.0 or fraction of 9 higher.
Seguin wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:

I don´t think I´ve heard of an earthquake above 7.1, but there may have been a few slightly worse. :(

mrbassbone

Postby K Hale on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Seguin wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:

The 1906 San Francisco quake is estimated as having been 7.8.
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:18 pm

And the one in Mexico two weeks ago was 8.something, I think.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:32 pm

My friend Rocio, who is a doctoral student in Anthropology in NYC but from Mexico City and was visiting friends in Brackettville, has been constantly in touch with her mother who still lives there. Mom was driving home when the quake hit and was locked in stand-still traffic for hours without knowing if her house was still standing. When she got home, it was all still there, but the house next door had collapsed and partly into her upstairs. There was (of course) no electricity and no water. In this way, she spent the dark night on a downstairs couch, afraid to stay upstairs. Two relatives were with her and they spent a frightful night in the dark without being able to sleep. Rocio was in touch with Mom constantly by cellphone, but very short conversations due to the fear that the battery would run out. As of yesterday, they got water back but no electricity. As of this morning, the water was off again. Rocio is now at UT in Austin trying to do last minute research before returning to NYC but finding it very difficult to concentrate while fielding issues back home.

Also, I just took my car to the garage here in Brackett, and Jose, the mechanic who drove me home, is from Puerto Rico and very concerned about their situation. The whole Island is without power after this last hurricane and probably won't get it back for several months!
RLC-GTT

Postby warren on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:11 pm

They say were not even getting good feed showing the catastrophic damage (Puerto Rico) because the news people can't power up their equipment.
warren

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:50 pm

And that would be the truth. It was even true for Houston during the hurricane and flooding for a few days.
RLC-GTT

Postby mrbassbone on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:25 am

mrbassbone

Postby warren on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:56 pm

I heard Pudge Rodriquez, former catcher for the Texas Rangers on the radio this morning (Sat.) and he has been in communication with Puerto Rico's governor, since Pudge has organized a relief effort. He said the Gov. told him they are transmitting from the highest antennae on the island, and the generator which powers it is due to run out of diesel fuel this afternoon, almost completely cutting off the island from any form of electronic communication.
warren

Postby Seguin on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:21 am

I don´t think I´ve heard of an earthquake above 7.1, but there may have been a few slightly worse.

The 1906 San Francisco quake is estimated as having been 7.8.

I stand corrected. I never researched the subject but commented from what I could remember. Even a 6. something is horrific. I read about such a one in Caracas, Venezuela, in the 60´s which destroyed houses.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:13 am

Napa, Sonoma Wine Country wildfires in California in today's Express News.
Attachments
NapaSonomaFiresNYTimes-ExpressNews 10-11-17.jpg
NapaSonomaFiresNYTimes-ExpressNews 10-11-17.jpg (115.39 KiB) Viewed 215 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Wildfire Burns Home of ‘Peanuts’ Creator Charles Schulz

By Associated Press
October 12, 2017

The home of Peanuts creator Charles Schulz burned to the ground in the deadly California wildfires but his widow
escaped, her stepson said Thursday.

Jean Schulz, 78, evacuated before flames engulfed her hillside home Monday and is staying with a daughter,
Monte Schulz said.

The Schulzes built the California split-level home in the 1970s and the cartoonist lived there until his death in 2000.

“It’s the house he died in. All of their memorabilia and everything is all gone,” Monte Schulz said.

He had not heard from his stepmother and learned about the disaster from his brother, Craig Schulz, who also lost
his Santa Rosa home in the fire.

“The fire came by at, like, two in the morning,” Monte Schulz said. “Everything’s gone.”

Fires in the Northern California wine country have killed at least 26 people since they began Sunday.

Monte Schulz said he had not visited his stepmother’s home in recent years because he lives more than 300 miles
away in Santa Barbara. He wasn’t sure what might have burned.

“Obviously stuff from my dad and their life together, all gone,” he said.

Schulz usually worked at an outside studio and most of his original artwork and memorabilia are at the Charles M.
Schulz Museum and Research Center in Santa Rosa, which escaped the flames.

But the loss of the house itself is painful, Monte Schulz said.

“I had memories of being in that house. I never lived there but I visited all the time,” he said. “That time of our
lives is now completely erased.”

Schulz had long ties to Santa Rosa and to Sonoma County. He and his first wife, Joyce, built a home in the city of
Sebastopol in 1958. The airport in Santa Rosa Airport is officially titled the Charles M. Schulz-Sonoma County
Airport and features bronze sculptures of the Peanuts characters. Its logo is Snoopy flying on top of his doghouse.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 pm

More devastating wildfires for California.
Attachments
CaliforniaWildfires12-7-17.jpg
CaliforniaWildfires12-7-17.jpg (76.55 KiB) Viewed 56 times
CaliforniaWildfires12-7-17-2.jpg
CaliforniaWildfires12-7-17-2.jpg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 56 times
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:56 am

What a disaster! I hope nobody dies, not that losing your home is´nt bad enough. :(
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby AlamoGill on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

It is awful to watch on our news channels over here in the UK

Our hearts go out to everyone who have lost so much and one
must praise all those brave firefighters

I hope Larry and Jerry are safe where they live????

Gill
AlamoGill

Previous

Return to Off Topic