RIP Dublin Dr. Pepper (1891-2012)

Matters Of Interest Concerning Texas.

Moderator: NefariousNed

RIP Dublin Dr. Pepper (1891-2012)

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Buy Up All the Dublin Dr Pepper You Can, Because As of Today It No Longer Exists
By Robert Wilonsky Dallas Observer, Wed., Jan. 11 2012 at 5:00 PM

​If you have but a single can or bottle marked "Dublin Dr Pepper," don't open it. It's a collector's item as of this very moment. That's because as of 5 p.m. today there is no more Dublin Dr Pepper: From here on out, per a settlement agreement just announced in the case filed by Plano-based Dr Pepper Snapple Group in June, the Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Company will now be known as Dublin Bottling Works Inc. And it will no longer manufacture Imperial Pure Cane Sugar Dr Pepper at its bottling plant.

It will continue to manufacture soft drinks with pure-cane sugar: Triple XXX Root Beer, NuGrape and SunCrest among others. But Dr Pepper Snapple Group has purchased from from the Kloster family all of its Dr Pepper-related assets, as well as the right to distribute Dr Pepper in the six-county territory (Comanche, Eastland, Erath, Hood, Hamilton and Bosque) previously served by Dublin Dr Pepper. Corporate says the product sold there and elsewhere will continue to be made with pure-cane sugar at the Temple bottling plant, and that "it will still be bottled and canned in distinct, nostalgic packaging." The only difference, says the announcement, is that "it will not reference Dublin on the label."

Sources also inform Unfair Park that 14 out of Dublin Dr Pepper's 40 employees, who worked in the warehouse, have been let go due to the terms of the settlement agreement.

As you'll recall, Dublin Dr Pepper previously denied violating terms of its licensing agreement with corporate HQ. And, said Dublin's Dallas-based attorney Steve Wolens, it wasn't so long ago that corporate and Dublin, which began bottling the beverage in 1891, had a close-knit relationship -- till, that is, corporate started selling its own version of the throwback beverage made with blended beet sugar and sold in cans looking like the Dublin containers.

"We want to thank our many customers for their support of our family-owned business during the past 120 years, and we want them to know that Dr Pepper is still a big part of Dublin," says Dublin Bottling Works vice president Jeff Kloster in a statement. "We hope customers will continue to visit our town, the W.P. Kloster Museum and Old Doc's Soda Shop, where they can still enjoy Dr Pepper sweetened with cane sugar." To which Rodger L. Collins, president of Packaged Beverages for Dr Pepper Snapple Group, adds this: "Our main focus has always been on protecting the strength and integrity of the Dr Pepper trademark. We're pleased to reach an agreement that accomplishes that while also preserving the history and the special relationship Dr Pepper has with the Dublin community."

I'd been peeking at the case file in recent weeks and noticed that recent filings have been made under seal. Now, says the release:

With the central issues of trademark infringement and territorial selling rights resolved, the federal lawsuit DPS filed in June and Dublin's subsequent countersuit in a Texas state court will both be immediately dismissed. DPS will continue to support the popular 'Dr Pepper, Texas' celebration as well as related '10-2-4k' run held each June in Dublin.

Below, one more time, is Dublin's response to the initial lawsuit. It provides the complete history of a company that's now, well, history.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/62004283/Dubl ... r-Response
Attachments
dublindrpepperinafrostybottle.jpg
dublindrpepperinafrostybottle.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Re: RIP Dublin Dr. Pepper (1891-2012)

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:33 pm

End Of The Line For Bottling "Dublin" Dr. Pepper

Courtesy: Dublin Citizen

DUBLIN (CBSDFW.COM) - After a long legal battle, the doctor has ordered a halt to production
of a distinct Dr Pepper product known to Texans as ‘Dublin’ Dr Pepper.

On Tuesday Plano-based Dr Pepper Snapple Group announced they had purchased the sales and
distribution rights from Dr Pepper Bottling Company of Dublin.

That company had been making a cane sugar version of the popular soft drink for years from
their Erath County facility.

Over the years relations between the bottler and Dr Pepper Snapple Group had become strained
over their use of trademarks and sales outside of a 6-county territory around Central Texas.

The bottling company, which changed their name to Dublin Bottle Works, was the oldest Dr Pepper
producer still in operation. A press release from Dr Pepper Snapple Group says the Dublin plant
will stay open, along with a soda shop and museum that has been part of the facility.

In the release Dr Pepper Snapple Group said a cane sugar-based variation of Dr Pepper would still
be available across Texas.

Business owners near the plant are worried the move will mean a drop in summer business. Miles
Gillman owns Granny Clark’s Restaurant nearby and says taking Dublin Dr Pepper off the shelves
will hurt the town. “To Dublin, Dublin Dr Pepper was like Wal Mart is to the rest of America. You
never imagine it going away.”

The plant said because of the changes 14 people would be losing their jobs.

Dr Pepper Snapple says it will still support the community, and the mayor of Dublin says she looks
forward to working with the new Dublin Bottling Works and Dr Pepper Snapple to maintain tourism.

KRLD’s Matt Thomas Reports:
Attachments
DublinDrPepper.jpg
DublinDrPepper.jpg (27.13 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Back in 2010...
Nefarious wrote:Image
Joan Headley, with her Dublin, TX. Dr. Pepper, the place where it all started. Only Dr. Pepper bottled in the Dublin factory is still made
from natural cane sugar.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Nefarious wrote:Image
Dale Kohler, with a bottle of Dublin Dr. Pepper.
NefariousNed

Postby teresa1971 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:05 pm

I remember the Dr. Pepper Bottle Company where I grew up in Waco, Texas on Franklin Street....
Also in Waco, Texas is the Dr. Pepper Museum!!!
teresa1971

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 am

teresa1971 wrote:I remember the Dr. Pepper Bottle Company where I grew up in Waco, Texas on Franklin Street....
Also in Waco, Texas is the Dr. Pepper Museum!!!

Well, yet another reason to be visiting Waco, Teresa. (I know, three years late with a response.)
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:32 am

It takes an acquired taste to like Dr. Pepper, which is probably
why it never caught on over here, although I´ve seen it in some
Muslim convenience stores in later years (probably imported
from Germany). I´ve tasted it a couple of times and I did´nt
like the taste of it at all and had to throw it away. I´ll take
Coca Cola instead any day. Hell, I´ll even go for Pepsi Cola
instead. :lol:

Any idea what Moxie tasted like?
Attachments
Moxie.jpg
Moxie.jpg (42.15 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby K Hale on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:10 am

Dr Pepper has a sweetish, almost semi-medicinal taste that isn't for everyone. I like it, for example, but it makes Rich gag. I like Coke better, though...
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby Seguin on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:21 am

K Hale wrote:Dr Pepper has a sweetish, almost semi-medicinal taste that isn't for everyone. I like it, for example, but it makes Rich gag. I like Coke better, though...

And the taste is a bit pepperish too, or spicey, maybe. - Right, an acquired taste, just like with tobacco or alcoholic beverages.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Return to All Things Texas