All Things Texas

Matters Of Interest Concerning Texas.

Moderator: NefariousNed

All Things Texas

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:17 pm

This section is dedicated to matters of interest concerning Texas that are not altogether Alamo-related. As quite a few posts in the Off Topic section have concerned Texas in one way, or another they will be moved over into this section. All new topics concerning Texas should henceforth be posted here.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Re: All Things Texas

Postby mrbassbone on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Ned...<my opinion only>, but I think that Davy's San Antonio Memories should go back to the forum it was originally located in. Granted it is humorous and lighthearted BUT in DOES pertain to the Alamo "in spite of Davy's constant messing up of the imagery"...LOL :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:05 pm

Shell, all the topic threads currently in ALL THINGS TEXAS were moved from the OFF TOPIC section where they often went ignored. Some folks who visit an Alamo site are not necessarily interested in browsing OFF TOPIC subjects. But there's something both magical and magnetic about the word "Texas", don't you think?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:06 pm

Dios y Tejas! :mrgreen:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby mrbassbone on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:43 pm

Especially when used in the following context: http://www.texasdebrazil.com

Nefarious wrote:Shell, all the topic threads currently in ALL THINGS TEXAS were moved from the OFF TOPIC section where they often went ignored. Some folks who visit an Alamo site are not necessarily interested in browsing OFF TOPIC subjects. But there's something both magical and magnetic about the word "Texas", don't you think?

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:26 am

Yeah, those Brazillian Barbecue's are really something else. We had one in my hometown back in California and it was a meatlover's dream come true. Mind, don't go tanking up on the neverending salad bar, although you probably could do so and come away satisfied. For, once you are seated, the waiters come around to your table with skewers of fresh broiled meat and then carve it off in slices to your satisfaction. Prime Rib, London Broil, Tri-tip, top sirloin, fillet mignon, beef ribs, beef tail, pork tenderloin and ribs, chicken, duck and rabbit come sizzling and seasoned in that unique Churrascaria style.

There's a wooden flag on your table and once you are served, you flip it over to "red". Anytime you desire more meat, you merely flip it over to "green" and then just watch as the waiters hover around your table, skewers of savoury and succulent manna from heaven at the ready. Some of the cuts of meat are so large that it take two servers to lug them over to you.

Brazillian Barbecue! I understand there is one in San Antonio...
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 am

Nefarious wrote:Yeah, those Brazillian Barbecue's are really something else. We had one in my hometown back in California and it was a meatlover's dream come true. Mind, don't go tanking up on the neverending salad bar, although you probably could do so and come away satisfied. For, once you are seated, the waiters come around to your table with skewers of fresh broiled meat and then carve it off in slices to your satisfaction. Prime Rib, London Broil, Tri-tip, top sirloin, fillet mignon, beef ribs, beef tail, pork tenderloin and ribs, chicken, duck and rabbit come sizzling and seasoned in that unique Churrascaria style.

There's a wooden flag on your table and once you are served, you flip it over to "red". Anytime you desire more meat, you merely flip it over to "green" and then just watch as the waiters hover around your table, skewers of savoury and succulent manna from heaven at the ready. Some of the cuts of meat are so large that it take two servers to lug them over to you.

Brazillian Barbecue! I understand there is one in San Antonio...

In the DFW area they have the Texas de Brazil restaurants of that type ... umm umm .. good eats fer shore! :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby mrbassbone on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:23 am

Barb and I have been eating the the one here in Orlando ever since it first opened. They know that I have traveled extensively throughout South America and Brazil in particular. I told them about some of the Churrascarias that I ate in while in Rio. We no longer pay "full fare" when we go.

The TdB's do not have Flag Poles but two sided disks...RED & GREEN. Green means BRING ON DA MEATS!!!!!! and Red means WHOA NELLIE!!!!!!!

mrbassbone

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:28 am

Local gas prices: $1.91 for regular.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:42 am

Nefarious wrote:Local gas prices: $1.91 for regular.

For a gallon? We can almost get a liter for that amount over here!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Davy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:29 am

Seguin wrote:

Oh you lucky boy! :D

Davy
Davy

Postby Seguin on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 am

Davy wrote:
Seguin wrote:

Oh you lucky boy! :D

Davy

Yes, indeed! :roll: - a gallon is $45 - that´s about 4.5 liters. I guess that´s why a lot of people use a bike instead of a car over here... :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:04 am

Did you mean Four-Fifty a gallon or Forty-Five dollars a gallon? :o
NefariousNed

Postby The Bear on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:48 am

I would guess it is about $ 4.50/Gallon .......that is what it is in Sweden about now, although, I read that the gas prises is going down there. Remember that the Dollar still has low value compare to the Swedish or Danish crown...(I'm not sure if you still have your own crown or if you turned into Euros, which doesn't matter in this case..smile.)I told everyone that the dollar is going to grow strong after the election...nobody believed in me....hear hear me now..ha ..it has gone up a lot in value just in a week.. :lol:
The Bear

Postby Seguin on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:27 am

Nefarious wrote:Did you mean Four-Fifty a gallon or Forty-Five dollars a gallon? :o

I mean $2 per liter (about 10 Danish crowns), and a gallon is about 4.5 liter, so a gallon is about $9. But now that the dollar has increased it´s value recently, it´s "just" about $1.75 per liter, or about $8 a gallon...
- Sorry about writing $45 - I think I got gallon, liter and price mixed up somehow... :oops:

I just looked up the Dollar value. A dollar is today worth 5.94 Danish crowns (yesterday it was 5.83 Danish crowns). Until recently a dollar had been worth about 5.00 Danish crowns for a long time.

The Bear: Yes, we still have our own crown, just like the Swedes...
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby AlamoAl on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:47 am

Let me get this straight 4.50 a gallon or 4.50 a litter. Now here in Tenn 4.50 a litter means some find coon huntin' dogs. A real bargin considerin the high price of coon dogs. :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Owww! :o Damit Mrs. Crockett I was talkin' bout coon dogs not fryin' pans. :o ;)
AlamoAl

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:03 pm

Al, now we know why Crockett was always off traipsing the wide world, 'stead of being home by the hearth. Too close to them frying pans.
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Nefarious wrote:Al, now we know why Crockett was always off traipsing the wide world, 'stead of being home by the hearth. Too close to them frying pans.

Thim fryin pans make fine whoppers! :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm

One gripe I have about livin' Texican is that you can't find any decent-sized flour tor-tillas in the market. I've been to Wal-Mart, H.E.B. and Handy Andy and all they have to offer are these whimpy little "fajita-sized" tor-tillas. What they call "burrito-sized" wouldn't even answer for a soft taco in Californy. There, the burrito-sized tor-tillas are about the size of trash-can lids. In them Californy tor-tillas, you can pack a full pound of filling and then still be able to wrap your burrito with ease. In these Texican tor-tillas, you're lucky if you get two teaspoons of filling in 'em and, even at that, be prepared to watch them burst when you try and tuck them in. TEXICANS! Learn a lesson from Californy. In regards to tor-tillas, bigger is better.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:23 am

And I who thought everything was bigger in Texas... :o
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:28 am

Seguin wrote:And I who thought everything was bigger in Texas... :o

Ain't it so. :roll:
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:41 am

Seguin wrote:And I who thought everything was bigger in Texas... :o

Tortillers fer breakfast? Well iffin ya would eat em when its do time you
would get some gooduns .. instead of waitin till its too late .. and all tha wimpys ones is left :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby Rick on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby Seguin on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:16 am

Great pics of Hardin´s grave! I´ve never seen it before so it´s interesting to finally get to see some pics from it. Thanks, Rick!

I like your star belt buckle. It has some nice engravings.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Davy on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:31 am

Your just a redneck boy at heart! :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby Seguin on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:01 am

Davy wrote:Your just a redneck boy at heart! :o :lol:

Davy

Ain´t that the truth!... :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby AlamoAl on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:34 pm

Like the belt buckles Rick, which one didn't the PC police like? ;) I once heard or read somwhere "Texan by birth, Southerner by the grace of God." :shock: :D
AlamoAl

Postby Reb_Al on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:36 pm

Great pictures I like the belt buckles. This is the one I usually wear.
Last edited by Reb_Al on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reb_Al

Postby Seguin on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Alex, is that belt buckle of yours a genuine CSA belt buckle from the Civil War or is it a copy?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Cole_blooded on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:38 am

Great Southern belt buckles Rick and Alex! ;)
Cole_blooded

Postby Reb_Al on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:24 pm

Seguin wrote:Alex, is that belt buckle of yours a genuine CSA belt buckle from the Civil War or is it a copy?

I bought it quite a long time ago in England and the advertisement claimed it was part of a batch found in an old warehouse in London probably destined for the Confederacy on one of the blockade runners! Having already seen plenty of these buckles (which were a lot smaller than this due to the brass shortage in the South) in Southern museums I thought it would be fake but I liked it anyway and bought it. It has travelled the length and breadth of the Southern States since then.

There was an article in the Civil War Times several years ago and they had a photo of the exact buckles and they also said they were fakes, people had actually buried several on various battlefilds to try to get them to look as if they were genuine!
Reb_Al

Postby Seguin on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:21 pm

I see! - Well, fake or not, I like it and it obviously have sentimental value to you after having traveled through the Southern States as part of your outfit, and that´s what´s important!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Reb_Al on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:08 pm

Throughout the day and night of January 28, 1863, a heavy snow fell in the Rappahannock Valley and settled into drifts up to several feet deep. At mid-morning of January 29, a large group of First and Fourth Texans pelted the huts of their neighbors, the Fifth Texas with ice balls made from tightly packed wet snow. The outnumbered Fifth Texas managed to drive their assailants back into their camps. There the unified Texans planned a snowball attack on the unsuspecting Third Arkansas. The Arkansans were caught unaware and quickly surrendered their entire encampment to the Texans. Inspired by their success, the Arkansans joined the Texans and plotted to attack the camp of Gen. ``Tige'' Anderson's Georgia Brigade, situated on a hill three-quarters of a mile away across the Massaponax stream. With haversacks full of snowballs, officers in front, battleflags unfurled, and drums and bugles sounding, the 1500-man Texas Brigade moved against the Georgians. The Georgians, forewarned of the impending attack, were ready for the fray. The battle up and down the hillside raged for over an hour. Groans were heard as rocks disguised as snowballs hit their marks. Finally, the Georgians, with both superior numbers and position, drove back the Texans and Arkansans. The Texas Brigade, boosted by reinforcements, rallied and drove the Georgians into their camps, where they gallantly surrendered their forces. The two brigades then combined forces to march against Gen. Lafayette McLaws' Division. Soon 9000 veterans of the Army of Northern Virginia were engaged in a snowball battle royal. Thousands of snowballs were tossed back and forth. At the close of the prolonged struggle, Hood's Division emerged victorious. Thus ended the ``Great Snowball Fight of 1863.'' The Confederate high command was not pleased with the outing. Although only two men were severely injured during the fracas (no doubt the victims of rock-centered snowballs), many soldiers were temporarily laid up with ``black eyes, bloody noses, ragged ears and sadly disfigured physiognomies.'' More important, the noise and mass movement during the fight had caused quite a commotion in the Federal camps across the Rappahannock. Union cavalry, fearing an attack, had become active along the river. Shortly after the fight, Gen. Longstreet issued an order ``prohibiting general snowballing'' in his corps.
Reb_Al

Postby Seguin on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 pm

That was some snowball fight! :mrgreen:
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:26 pm

This sort of reminds me of a scene in the 1992 "Christmas" war film called A MIDNIGHT CLEAR where entrenched U.S. and German soldiers in WWII lay down their arms and engage in a snowball fight. For a few moments, they're all kids again. The atmosphere lightens to the point where they all put up a Christmas tree, sing carols together and exchange "gifts" of their meagre rations. But all too soon Christmas ends and they get back to the business of killing.

(Stars: Peter Berg, Kevin Dillon, Arye Gross, Ethan Hawke, Gary Sinise, Frank Whaley and John C. McGinley)
NefariousNed

Postby marklemon on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:27 pm

My great great grandfather was a participant in this fight, and wrote about it in his post-war manuscript. I'll find the passage and post it here.
Mark
"The truth shall set you free...but first it will piss you off!"
marklemon

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:06 am

Only in Texas. Last night's low was around 70 degrees. Today's high was 81 degrees. Tonight's low is 31 degrees and it's hailing outside.
NefariousNed

Postby Cole_blooded on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:19 am

Nefarious wrote:Only in Texas. Last night's low was around 70 degrees. Today's high was 81 degrees. Tonight's low is 31 degrees and it's hailing outside.

Same here but light hail earlier!

TED COLE....aka....Cold_blooded :D

Austin forecast Tuesday night KVUE ch.3

TONIGHT'S AUSTIN AREA WEATHER FORECAST:
Sleet and snow overnight in Austin. Some may stick to grassy areas, but since roadways are still quite warm from Tuesday's 81 degree high temperature, slick roads are not expected. Precipitation will likely end before sunrise.

LOW: 31°
Cole_blooded

Postby Seguin on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:08 am

It´s a few degrees below the freezing point here in the evening and night. In the daytime it´s a few degrees above. It´s gloves and cap time... :cry:
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:28 pm

As I was driving along today, I ended up behind a LONE STAR BEER truck with this signage: LONE STAR: The National Beer of Texas. :lol:
NefariousNed

Next

Return to All Things Texas