El Camino Real preservation project

Matters Of Interest Concerning Texas.

Moderator: NefariousNed

El Camino Real preservation project

Postby stimbotdeguerra on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Just up on my radar: A nonprofit group, the El Camino Real de las Tejas National Historic Trail Association (http://www.elcaminorealdelostejas.org) has just started a Kickstarter-style campaign toward buying a newly-available piece of property in East Texas that is crossed by a significant piece of the original trailbed: in this stretch, seven separate swales exist side by side, which I should think were formed when each earlier path got too deep to use in wetter weather. The funding target is surprisingly low, so they may well get there successfully over the next six weeks, and they've got El Camino Real swag for higher donation levels. However, it says it's a "flexible funding" kickstart campaign, meaning your donation gets kept regardless of whether the funding target is met, in which case I suppose it gets kicked into the group's general budget, so take a look at their website and Facebook page and decide whether you think they're doing worthy deeds.

From the look of the video, the eventual resulting historical park should give a strong sense of what Davy Crockett experienced coming down through the woods into Texas, and give another chance to tread in Davy's footsteps, if you can figure out which of the seven swales is the one he used :)

Take a look at the video at the funding campaign link below. I hadn't heard of this group before and I like the idea of some sections in of the original path in different terrain being preserved and open to the public.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/prote ... oric-trail

Stephen Schneider

Edit: First link fixed
stimbotdeguerra

Re: El Camino Real preservation project

Postby stimbotdeguerra on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:41 am

Still a few hours to go on this donation campaign, but offline donations slightly exceeded the visible online ones, and as of this afternoon, they made their goal!!!!!!!

Yee-Hah!!!

Thanks to anyone who donated! Those east Texas woods are part of the story for many Alamo defenders too and a good thing to add to the preservation tally.
stimbotdeguerra

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:48 am

That's fantastic! Sounds like a silent benefactor showed up and wished to remain silent.
RLC-GTT

Postby tomthbomb on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:26 am

Where exactly is the property this portion of the trail lies on or what it is close to?
From the Upper East Side (of Texas, that is).
tomthbomb

Postby stimbotdeguerra on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:36 am

Where exactly is the property this portion of the trail lies on or what it is close to?

Sabine County :|

The organization wasn't saying exactly, probably due to it being a private property deal and all, and I'll wait for their announcement. If you are in East Texas, it looks like there's a fair amount of the original road accessible along SH 21, like old Kings Road that you can drive on, markers still standing from the state's 1916 survey of the old road, trailhead points where the original route crosses SH 21. Looks like a good way to spend a day now that the weather is cooling off, knocking around the remnants of the route. The link below gives a good account of what's there in Sabine County, with old and new photos and mapping. You can even spot some of the original route in Google satellite view if you correlate it with the map of the road, like the Toledo Bend end.

http://www.texascounties.net/articles/e ... sabine.htm
stimbotdeguerra

Postby tomthbomb on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:52 pm

I am very familiar with this part of Deep East Texas. I have driven TX 21 from the state line to Austin a few times. Where the El Camino Real crosses into Texas is close to the crash site of the Space Shuttle Columbia.
From the Upper East Side (of Texas, that is).
tomthbomb

Return to All Things Texas