Censorship of Coppini's Littlefield Statues at UT Austin

Matters Of Interest Concerning Texas.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Censorship of Coppini's Littlefield Statues at UT Austin

Postby marklemon on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:28 am

As many here probably know, there is now a court battle ongoing over the proposed removal or portions of Coppini's beautiful statues at the University of Texas at Austin. The main element of the statue grouping depicts Lady Liberty, driving the ship of State through the waters of a fountain, flanked by WWI soldiers in close proximity, and at a greater distance, several well-known Confederate leaders, including Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis. After 82 years, these Confederate statues are suddenly offensive (to a few students) and apparently must be removed.
I have been asked to appear in Austin Texas this week as an expert witness to testify regarding the negative ramifications (moral and artistic) of forever altering and removing various parts of the famous Italian scultor, Pompeo Coppini's "Littlefield Statue" on the campus of UT at Austin (see link). Coppini, as you know, is the same sculptor who created the Alamo's Cenotaph.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlefield_Fountain
"The truth shall set you free...but first it will piss you off!"
marklemon

Re: Censorship of Coppini's Littlefield Statues at UT Austin

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:37 am

Tear 'em up, Mark. Nobody should have the right to alter an artist's work! It is our heritage and speaks to us from the past.
RLC-GTT

Re: Censorship of Coppini's Littlefield Statues at UT Austin

Postby cc nolen on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:35 pm

I swear Mark....I always say; You cant fix Stupid - but if anybody has a chance in doing so, its you.
Good Luck My Friend.
Chris...
(PS: wear your new work shirts - that should scare um good! ) :o
cc nolen

Return to All Things Texas