State Fair of Texas in Dallas

Matters Of Interest Concerning Texas.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Postby K Hale on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:00 am

Just got the mailed results of the State Fair photo judging. My photo, "Alamo After Dark," got an Honorable
Mention in the Buildings/Monuments category!

Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Re: State Fair of Texas in Dallas

Postby Seguin on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:21 am

K Hale wrote:Just got the mailed results of the State Fair photo judging. My photo, "Alamo After Dark," got an Honorable Mention
in the Buildings/Monuments category!

Congratulations, Kristi! That´s way cool, and it really is a great photo of the Alamo after dark.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:35 am

Indeed, congrats, Kristi.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby wconly on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:41 am

Congrats indeed lady-type-person! Now, if you only had submitted a pic of the 'Mo after dark that had been taken on March 6,1836 :shock: you would have walked away with alot more then a trophy :D ! W>
wconly

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 am

Back to the State Fair today for the final day of its 2011 run!
Here are a few pics from the Vertigo ride...

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:42 am

Similar to the Wave Swing except you go waaaaay up.

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:43 am

Going up, up, up...

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:43 am

This is my non-camera hand getting a good grip on the chair. LOL!

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:44 am

It looks like we are just about on a level with the top of the Cotton Bowl.

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:46 am

The midway down below, downtown Dallas in the distance, and the Texas Star Ferris
wheel at left. I'm not a big rides person, but I think I have found a new favorite.

K Hale

Postby Seguin on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:18 am

The midway down below, downtown Dallas in the distance, and the Texas Star Ferris
wheel at left. I'm not a big rides person, but I think I have found a new favorite.

That´s some vertigo ride! Nice view from up there. Glad you found a new favorite, Vertigo Kristi. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:34 pm

You couldn't get ME to go on that ride! Makes my vertigo rise just looking at the photos.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Fred on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:31 pm

Me either. I wouldn't seek that ride out for amusement. What if the securing bar or strap failed? What if the arm broke off at the base while the ride was spinning? I used to be an Iron Worker back before I knew better. I would climb the iron each morning back up to where I'd left off the previous day. That took about 40 minutes or so because it was about 50 stories up from the ground. Walking the iron was mandatory. I wouldn't coon across (scooting along an i-beam on one's butt) unless I only had to move a few inches or feet. I like to think that I didn't fall because I had complete control of my situation and didn't trust my life to anything that I couldn't inspect. That wheel looks scary to me. not being a risk taker or thrill seeker, I'd have to stay on the ground while others more courageous went for a ride. No, I wouldn't bungi jump either.
Fred

Postby K Hale on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:08 am

I totally get where you guys are coming from. I am really the world's biggest chicken when it comes to amusement park rides. I have never ridden a roller coaster, and I refuse to get on anything with excessive speed or where you get flipped upside down. And uh, I'm also subject to motion sickness. :? The only thing I have going for me is that I don't have a problem with heights. All this ride does is lift you into the air and swing you in a circle, so I was fine with that. Yep, it could have flown to pieces, but it didn't. ;)

Fred, are you OK with planes?
K Hale

Postby Fred on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:46 am

Oh yea, I haven't a problem with flying. The only phobia I have is a recently developed case of claustephobia. I found out about that when the doctor recently tried to slide (squeeze) me up into the cat scan machine or whatever it is. It was a tight fit and I didn't like it. Told them to get me out NOW before I tore their machine up. I believe it went back to when I was once (24 years ago) stuck deep within a very narrow, twisted tube like passage inside of a Belizian cave that'd been used as an ancient Mayan tomb. I hadn't told anybody that I was gong to investigate the narrow tube going up into the wall of the cave and foolishly proceeded. About thirty feet or so into the passage, I became stuck, I tried to back out and my cloths caught and there I was, on my back, one arm pinned to my side and the other trapped in front of me. The rock was just 4 inches away from my face. I yelled, but nobody outside of the cave entrance could hear me or even knew that I was there. Then my light went out. (Aint that the way it allways is?) I was trapped within solid rock for about two hours while everybody else was outside, smoking and joking and not missing me in the least. Buried alive. Two hours later, I finaly inched my way back out of the hole and dropped to the floor of the cave. I have never gone into such a tight spot again. As far as risking my life, I did a lot of stuff when younger that I would have NEVER done had I posessed the 20/20 hind sight that I have now. I've seen men fall and die, I've seen people engulfed in flame, I've seen people crushed, I've allmost died myself well over a dozen times and I get chills thinking about how close I came. Barely catching myself from falling over backwards off of a 400 ft. high ledge when the rock under my feet broke away by catching a snag with one finger nail, being attacked by thousands of African Killer Bees and for over two hours, breathing through my hat while under the surface of a jungle cenote, stopping just 6 inches from putting my foot on top of a HUGE Honking Poisonous Fare De Lance snake (8 feet long) that was coiled and asleep on a Jungle mountainside, allmost getting sucked down a twenty foot wide worl pool inside of a cave where a hole the size of a Volks Wagon at the bottom of the river bed sucked the water down into a subterranian cavern and river system, accidentaly startling and scaring off a jaguar that had crept up to within three feet of me when I suddenly stood up from a squatting position at night when I'd foolishly gone into the jungle to relieve myself. The Jaguar was getting ready to grab me by the back of my head as is their custom, entering a natural gas filled home to shut off an open valve (dogs opened it while chasing the cats I think) on a pipe that'd been blowing gas out for over an hour with seconds to go before the flame from the water heater would set the whole sheebang off. My dogs and cats were inside so I had to go in to open the windows on all three floors after shutting off the gas on a 3/4 inch pipe in the basement. On and on etc, ect. Now, I look both ways when crossing the street and don't do ANYTHING dangerous anymore. I think that I've used up all of my good luck and the Boogyman will be waiting to get me if I don't watch out. :shock:
Fred

Postby K Hale on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:54 am

Now I'm gonna have nightmares!
K Hale

Postby Fred on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:56 am

I do almost every night... :?
Fred

Postby caplock on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Damn, man! A cat only has nine lives. Appears to me you've used up fifteen or twenty! Can't say I blame you for getting cautious
these days. With age comes wisdom, I guess, if youthful foolishness doesn't kill us first.
caplock

Postby Fred on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fred

Postby K Hale on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 am

Well gang, it seems my daring has paid off. I've been entering photos in the Dallas Morning News state fair photo contest. I received a call today from the paper saying -- get this -- one of my Vertigo photos has been chosen as the grand prize winner. :shock: Out of 1,100-some-odd photos submitted, and judged by (according to the website) Pulitzer Prize winning photographers with the News, mine has won. It is not even one of the ones I've posted in this thread. I'll post it in a little while; I'm on my iPod Touch right now and can't copy and paste links. Oh, and the prize is an iPad 2. :o I gotta go downtown tomorrow morning and pick it up, and get interviewed and my picture taken for Friday's edition of the News.

:D
K Hale

Postby Seguin on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:42 am

K Hale wrote:Well gang, it seems my daring has paid off. I've been entering photos in the Dallas Morning News state fair photo contest. I received a call today from the paper saying -- get this -- one of my Vertigo photos has been chosen as the grand prize winner. :shock: Out of 1,100-some-odd photos submitted, and judged by (according to the website) Pulitzer Prize winning photographers with the News, mine has won. It is not even one of the ones I've posted in this thread. I'll post it in a little while; I'm on my iPod Touch right now and can't copy and paste links. Oh, and the prize is an iPad 2. :o I gotta go downtown tomorrow morning and pick it up, and get interviewed and my picture taken for Friday's edition of the News.

:D

Congratulations. Kristi! That´s awesome, to say the least. It looks like you have a talent for shooting great photos. You better enter some more photo contests. ;)
An iPad 2? What a great first prize! Please post both the photo, and your interview on Friday. It´s not everyday one gets to be in the newspaper.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby K Hale on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:48 am

I have NEVER been in the newspaper. Needless to say, I'm pretty mindblown. :shock:
K Hale

Postby gtj222 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:11 am

That is wonderful. I told you you have an artistic talent with the camera. Great!!!!! :D
gtj222

Postby Seguin on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:12 am

I have NEVER been in the newspaper. Needless to say, I'm pretty mindblown. :shock:

Me neither, so I would´ve been mind blown too! :D
Attachments
MindBlown-2.jpg
MindBlown-2.jpg (6.92 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby K Hale on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:00 am

Here it is:

Largely random chance and luck at work here. 8-) I gripped the seat with one hand and
my camera with the other, and just shot away, hoping something would appear in the
frame. :?

When I think of all the photos I carefully composed and considered lighting and angle and
such, and then they decide this one was best... LOL
K Hale

Postby Seguin on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:38 am

It really is a great photo! It´s like a moment frozen in time. I think they liked the spontaneity of it, instead of the more carefully planned photos
. Getting the shoes in the shot is a nice details that adds a lot to the photo, i think. Same thing with the angle. A "proper" angle would´nt have
made the photo as interesting as it is now, where you get the impression of movement. Getting the Ferris wheel into the photo too, also adds
to it, I think.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:09 am

Congrats, Kristi. I've always said you have a great photographic eye.
NefariousNed

Postby Rick on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:26 am

Well done, Kristi! And very well deserved!
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby Fred on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:30 am

Wow! I really like your photo Kristie! I can see why they picked it. It's spontaneous and yet it shows so much that's going on!
Everything about it is wonderful! I'm so glad for you! :D
Fred

Postby K Hale on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks guys!! I am just beside myself!
K Hale

Postby wconly on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:52 am

K Hale wrote:I have NEVER been in the newspaper. Needless to say, I'm pretty mindblown. :shock:

Now, now, now Kristi -- you remember that time you were arrested in.......... :lol: ! Just kidding! Congratulations! Great shot! Well deserved!
Enjoy your 'fifteen minutes in the spotlight' for a long and deserved time :) ! W>
wconly

Postby K Hale on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:54 am

wconly wrote:
K Hale wrote:I have NEVER been in the newspaper. Needless to say, I'm pretty mindblown. :shock:

Now, now, now Kristi -- you remember that time you were arrested in.......... :lol: ! Just kidding! Congratulations! Great shot! Well deserved!
Enjoy your 'fifteen minutes in the spotlight' for a long and deserved time :) ! W>

Thanks! I'm totally going to have the most famous purple sneakers in the Metroplex come Friday. :lol:
K Hale

Postby K Hale on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:58 am

So, I went downtown to the newspaper this morning and was met by three very nice folks, two editors and a photographer.
I was going to dress up, but then I decided to wear jeans and the Chucks. This was a good decision. One editor said,
"The first thing I have to ask is: Are they hi-tops or low-tops?" So when I pulled up one pant leg to display the low-tops,
the photographer got all excited and said, "Do that again!" And then she took eight or nine shots of my feet. I am not
making this up. Then they posed me with the iPad in its box in front of the glass doors inside the lobby, and then they
took me outside and I sat on the sign that says Dallas Morning News while they took another picture. They specifically
said they wanted my shoes in the shot. The editor told me there were 1,180 photos entered, and 35 made the final round.
As he put it, "No one else submitted a shot like this." :) They interviewed me a little and then told me the photo will
"run big" in the NeighborsGo insert in Friday's paper, and then also in the News itself on either Friday or Saturday. It was
an amazing experience.
K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:13 am

Nefarious wrote:Now, let's all get set for Kristi's amazing State Fair photos. Drum roll, please.

As promised: A lovely day at the fair! Poured rain Saturday, and into Sunday morning, but then cleared off
and was gorgeous.

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 am

HOWW DEE FOLKS! Messing around with filters here.

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:15 am

Very nice entry in the photo contest. (I entered two photos, but didn't win. The entries this year were pretty mindblowing.)

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:16 am

This shot of Espada won the Buildings/Monuments/Architecture class.

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:17 am

The Marine Drum & Bugle Corps plays every Sunday at 4pm. In the museum in the background is
an exhibit Bowie would've liked: Mexican silver!

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:18 am

The Texas Star ferris wheel, and the giant gator & croc exhibit.

K Hale

Postby K Hale on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:19 am

Milk gets a lift.

K Hale

Next

Return to All Things Texas