At The Movies

Discuss Topics About " Movies & Television "

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: At The Movies

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:21 am

For a docu-drama of an incident that is still fresh in people's minds, "Sully" still manages to hold its audience in suspense as the event
unfolds before their eyes. Water landings of an airliner and the subsequent outcome are not something people get a chance to see just everyday.

A real life event that should make for an exciting movie. We know how it ended, of course, but it´ll be interesting to see the landing on the river done in a movie. In these CGI times we live in it´ll probably look awesome.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Seguin wrote:
ConnieFromHaiti wrote:
Seguin wrote:A remake?

Doesn't look like it is. Here is the IMDb page for the 1966 Morgan! with David Warner. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060714/

And here is the IMDb page for the 2016 Morgan. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4520364/?ref_=ttmc_mc_tt

They seem to have totally different plots.

Right! Thanks, for checking it out.

No problem, Hans, it's kind of a knee jerk reaction for me to check things out. Must be the science major in me!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:17 am

ConnieFromHaiti wrote:
Seguin wrote:Right! Thanks, for checking it out.

No problem, Hans, it's kind of a knee jerk reaction for me to check things out. Must be the science major in me!
Or an uncle who continually gets things wrong. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:40 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: ..................... :lol:
cc nolen

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:08 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
ConnieFromHaiti wrote:
Seguin wrote:Right! Thanks, for checking it out.

Or an uncle who continually gets things wrong. ;)

Oh, if only you were the only one! I actually I check out most things that people send me via email and, sadly, things I read in the news... We need an emoji which heaves a deep sigh!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Has anyone seen Mel Gibson's new WWII movie "Hacksaw Ridge" yet? Some critics have been comparing it to his film "The Passion Of The Christ".
I guess they are inferring that it's bloody? Plan on going to see it this week with my brother John.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:26 am

NefariousNed wrote:Has anyone seen Mel Gibson's new WWII movie "Hacksaw Ridge" yet? Some critics have been comparing it to his film "The Passion Of The Christ".
I guess they are inferring that it's bloody? Plan on going to see it this week with my brother John.

Haven't seen it yet, but a few reviews have said it was quite good. One said it was the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan. Also heard that much of the profanity was bleeped out by Gibson.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:04 am

Back from the "ELF" movie Christmas party at The Alamo Drafthouse. Attendees were given a number of props to be used during the movie, namely
scratch and sniff aroma cards (maple syrup, bubble gum, perfume, and mushrooms) a (non-edible) cotton ball, a bell for Santa's sleigh, balloon snow
ball for the snowball fight and bubbles for the shower song duet of "Baby, It's Cold Outside". Drink of the day was a candy cane shake comprised of
peppermint schnapps, crushed candy canes, and vanilla ice cream.

Before the moving screening, three contestants from the audience competed in a spaghetti topped with maple syrup, marshmallow and M&Ms eating
contest, followed by a soda guzzling and burping contest. Many in the the sold-out house crowd were dressed for the part and seemed to know all the
dialogue from the film. Everyone sang "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" at the appropriate moment in the film to help power Santa's sleigh back into
the night sky. All in all, a splendid time was had by all. (And to all, a good night.)
Attachments
Elf Party.jpg
Elf Party.jpg (96.86 KiB) Viewed 708 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:27 am

Nice write up. All that was lacking was a freezer full of snowballs so that the event could end with a snowball fight. Fake snowballs made of (non-edible) cotton don´t hit hard enough. :S
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:12 am

Back from the Alamo Drafthouse's screening of National Lampoon's "CHRISTMAS VACATION". Many in the sold out house dressed for the occasion, while those who didn't were given a tacky Christmas tie to wear. Glow sticks were provided to be waved whenever Clark Griswold got the Christmas lights to go on, and a pine scented car freshener was also provided them whenever the Griswold family Christmas tree was shown.

Before the screening, two volunteers from the audience took part in an egg nog guzzling contest. Both contestants finished the 16 ounce glass at about the same time. What a tummy-ache they must've had!
Attachments
ChristmasVacationParty.jpg
ChristmasVacationParty.jpg (100.07 KiB) Viewed 649 times
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:18 am

I love that movie and all the other Griswold movies too!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:37 pm

hiddenfigures-header-.jpg
hiddenfigures-header-.jpg (50.47 KiB) Viewed 494 times

After seeing one disappointing movie this weekend ( "Live By Night", a Prohibition era gangster film starring Ben Afleck) I followed it with a very
good, uplifting film today, namely "Hidden Figures", the true story of three black female math whizzes who were instrumental in getting the first
US manned space ship into orbit around the earth in the early days of NASA. The women, Katherine G. Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughn
(Octavia Spencer), and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monae'), face many roadblocks in segregated 1961 Virginia. The fact that they are women and black, to
boot, already places two strikes against them. But their determination and courage slowly move them forward in the space program under the guidance
of NASA chief Al Harrison (Kevin Costner). And, while they face triumph on certain levels, the fact that they are black keeps them from garnering any
immediate glory. Their focus however is in getting the job done, as well as proving that they are not only capable, but excel at what they do. The
three women, along with 30 other black females, acted as human computers before the coming of the IBM computer system. It is thanks in great measure
to all of them that John Glenn managed to orbit the earth three times and then return safely in splashdown. It's high time they were recognized for their
achievements beyond the doors of NASA. Nicely acted all around, "Hidden Figures" also accomplishes to show how the women excel at a time where racial
hate, inequty, and the Civil Rights moment are all just a way of life.

The nearly full auditorium of movie-goers clapped at the end and I'll bet you will too.

With a modest budget of 25 million, "Hidden Figures" has already taken in over 55 million at the box office.
NefariousNed

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:21 am

Good. My friend Cheryl saw Hidden Figures and loved it. It is not the type of film her husband normally likes, but she thinks he will this one and she plans to get it when it comes out on DVD. If I can get my act together, I'd like to see it before it leaves the theaters.

This subject was touched on from a different angle for a different mission in the TV series Timeless. So it is obviously a story whose time has come!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:47 am

Got my act together, invited a friend and went to see Hidden Figures this afternoon. Amazing film. Very well done. Moving. Inspiring. Somewhat angering. But over all a joyful, triumphant film. Go see it. The scene of John Glenn's orbiting of the earth is heart stopping, even though you know that he gets home ok!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:09 pm

Finally have a copy of "McIntosh and T.J." Roy Rogers' last movie and it was terrific. Too bad there was no follow up. Nice to see Dean Smith in it. I highly recommend this one from 1975.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:59 pm

"KONG Skull Island" Pretty good. Saw it Friday. Why the "F" word was used I don't understand. Otherwise, I enjoyed it for the type of film it is. Sequel city...O yes!
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:"KONG Skull Island" Pretty good. Saw it Friday. Why the "F" word was used I don't understand. Otherwise, I enjoyed it for the type of film it is. Sequel city...O yes!

I saw it too, Fargo. Also enjoyed it. It is set right after the Vietnam War. So how are they going to tie it in with the last Godzilla film that is set in present day? Next film is supposed to be "King Kong vs Godzilla", where Kong is on the side of Mankind.
NefariousNed

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:30 am

NefariousNed wrote:
Fargo Fenwyck wrote:"KONG Skull Island" Pretty good. Saw it Friday. Why the "F" word was used I don't understand. Otherwise, I enjoyed it for the type of film it is. Sequel city...O yes!

I saw it too, Fargo. Also enjoyed it. It is set right after the Vietnam War. So how are they going to tie it in with the last Godzilla film that is set in present day? Next film is supposed to be "King Kong vs Godzilla", where Kong is on the side of Mankind.

They have several sequels in the works, Ned. The next one is actually another Godzilla movie and will also feature three other monsters, Rodan, Mothra, and Ghiddora. Then that will be followed by Godzilla vs Kong. And more to come with the other monsters I mentioned.
TexianAtHeartII

Previous

Return to Movies & Television