STAR WARS

Discuss Topics About " Movies & Television "

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: STAR WARS

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:34 am

I see numerous places did lightsaber vigils in honor of Carrie Fisher, including the Alamo Drafthouse Theater in Austin.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/carrie-fis ... 50591.html
TexianAtHeartII

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:04 am

Yes, there is even an on-screen tribute to Carrie before the screening of "Rogue One" now.

Back from a screening of "Rogue One". Can't say enough good things about it. I'd place it just behind "The Empire Strikes Back" for the best of series rating.
For its tight, coherent story, likeable characters, suspense, and exciting battle scenes, "Rogue One" will make you feel like you are back in 1976 once more.
Indeed, without giving away too much of the plot it should be safe to say that this movie is a prequel to the original "Star Wars" in that it ties up all the loose
ends and unanswered questions from that film. The sight of many familiar faces from earlier "Star Wars" films may startle you as well as give a little tug at
the heartstrings. Anyhow, go and see "Rogue One". I recommend it.
Attachments
RogueOnePoster.jpg
RogueOnePoster.jpg (73.73 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:08 am

NefariousNed wrote:Yes, there is even an on-screen tribute to Carrie before the screening of "Rogue One" now.

Back from a screening of "Rogue One". Can't say enough good things about it. I'd place it just behind "The Empire Strikes Back" for the best of series rating.
For its tight, coherent story, likeable characters, suspense, and exciting battle scenes, "Rogue One" will make you feel like you are back in 1976 once more.
Indeed, without giving away too much of the plot it should be safe to say that this movie is a prequel to the original "Star Wars" in that it ties up all the loose
ends and unanswered questions from that film. The sight of many familiar faces from earlier "Star Wars" films may startle you as well as give a little tug at
the heartstrings. Anyhow, go and see "Rogue One". I recommend it.

Great review, Ned. I went with my son and grandson to see it the day it came out. Thought it was an outstanding movie and plenty of action. Viewers will not be disappointed. And even nearly a month after it came out, if there's anyone on the site who hasn't seen it, I won't give any spoilers, but I will say this. Darth Vader does make an appearance in roughly a total of 4 minutes and it alone is worth the price of admission. Vader is definitely the ultimate bad guy or badass if you will. And yes, James Earl Jones is his voice once again.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Connie and I went to see it in State College. I liked it, and it did what it was there to do -- introduce an independent, stand-alone Star Wars story with all the same values, qualities and energies of the first series. However, where moving and powerful are concerned, it didn't even approach The Force Awakens. I'm still grooving on that film -- have it on BluRay and play the John Williams score regularly. I probably will have no further need to re-watch Rogue One. The music score was serviceable and provided the John Williams energy, but Michael Giachinno's score had no memorable or moving themes of its own that I experienced. I also found the characters and actors to be unmemorable. J.J. Abrams raised the bar of excellence in his direction of The Force Awakens, and I'm afraid Gareth Edwards didn't clear it.

That said from my perspective, I also believe that a new generation of fans may indeed be created by Rogue One, and, face it, the first Star Wars was not a great work of art, just the right capture at the right moment, and it went up from there.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Yea!!!!! "Chewy is . . . Penn State!!!"

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local- ... a,1471249/

Penn State Alum, Former Basketball Player Is Officially the New Chewbacca

by Geoff Rushton on February 22, 2017 10:54 AM

When the Star Wars franchise was resurrected with the release of The Force Awakens in 2015, British-born actor Peter Mayhew returned to the role of Han Solo's Wookiee sidekick Chewbacca, a part he played in the first three Star Wars movies in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

But Mayhew, now 71, wasn't in the fur suit for every scene. Another actor was needed for the more physical scenes.

That actor was Penn State graduate and former Nittany Lion basketball player Joonas Suotamo. Now the mantle officially has been passed.

A native of Espoo, Finland, Suotamo will take over the part full-time in the untitled Han Solo standalone movie, which is set for a 2018 release. On Tuesday, he posted a heartfelt statement on Twitter announcing that his casting is official.

"Chewbacca is one of the most iconic characters in the history of film, and Peter's development and portrayal of this beloved Wookiee has spread so much joy across the globe," he wrote. "Peter's guidance and kindness have been invaluable gifts which warmed my spirit and prepared me for this journey. I aspire to make Peter proud and bring Star Wars fans the Chewie they know and love.

"See you in a galaxy far, far away... *Wookiee fist bump*"

The 6-foot-11 Suotamo graduated from Penn State in three and a half years, receiving a degree in film and video studies in 2008. An injury early in his basketball career set him back, and he didn't have much impact on the court. He was, though, twice named Academic All-BigTen and went on to play in Europe for his hometown Espoo team from 2011-15 before getting into acting.

He was cast as the stand-in for Mayhew in The Force Awakens, which was directed by J.J. Abrams, the son of Penn State alum and television producer Gerry Abrams.

Suotamo told PennLive.com in 2015 that the elder Abrams actually spoke to one of his film classes in 2007, which J.J. Abrams did not know when he cast the former power forward.

Much more than just a guy in a costume, Suotamo knows that Chewie is a favorite for millions of devoted Star Wars fans.

"I discussed with Peter Mayhew at length how he approached some actions and mannerisms Chewbacca would do," he told PennLive. "I didn't want to be the guy who gave it away, because Chewbacca is so legendary, who fans would know because he seems off."

The untitled Han Solo movie will follow the early years of the smuggler-turned-rebel-hero. Actor Alden Ehrenreich plays the young Han Solo, with Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian. The film also stars Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke and is directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Principal photography just began this week

Connie says: "Chewy bleeds Blue and White!"

It was also announced some time ago that part of this new Star Wars movie is to be filmed in East Texas -- and they need lots of extras!
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:00 pm

From today's San Antonio Express News...
Attachments
STARWARSExpressNews2-23-17.jpg
STARWARSExpressNews2-23-17.jpg (76.09 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks, Ned. I couldn't figure out how to post the photo.
RLC-GTT

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:08 am

Anybody notice a few weeks ago that the finally titles Star Wars VIII. It's call The Last Jedi, and until last week everybody was speculating whether it was aimed at Luke Skywalker or Rey. But last week, Yahoo news had an article showing headlines from different European entertainment media and the way the movie title read in their languages, German, French, Spanish, Italian, etc, The Last Jedi is plural, meaning that it is both Luke and Rey. Only 11 more months till it premieres.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:15 am

A few weeks ago, the title for the next Star Wars movie was finally revealed. It Star Wars: The Last Jedi. since then, many fans have speculated whether it refers to Luke Skywalker, who pretty much is, or is it Rey, who will be Luke's apprentice, or padwan. But last week, several European publications put up the title in their own languages and it shows that The Last Jedi is plural, meaning that there will be more than one. Makes it more interesting to see how that will play out in Ep VIII and even IX. Find out in 11 months.

http://time.com/4676983/star-wars-the-last-jedi-plural/
TexianAtHeartII

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:02 am

Teaser for "The Last Jedi"
NefariousNed

Postby mrbassbone on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 am

NefariousNed wrote:Teaser for "The Last Jedi"

The largest Star Wars Con is being held here in Orlando at the Orange County Convention Center. Unfortunately, I cannot attend. This was released at the show.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:05 pm

https://www.facebook.com/rottentomatoes ... 839157357/
How 'The Force Awakens' SHOULD have ended, according to Mark Hamill.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:51 am

Poor Carry Fisher. :(

Carrie Fisher Had Cocaine, Heroin, Ecstasy in Her System, Autopsy Shows

Gene Maddaus
Senior Media Writer

June 19, 2017 | 09:15AM PT

Carrie Fisher had cocaine, methadone, heroin and ecstasy in her system when she died in December, according to an autopsy report released Monday.

The coroner’s report listed sleep apnea as the primary cause of death, with drug intake as a contributing factor. The report stated that Fisher’s family objected to a full autopsy, and coroner’s investigators had access to limited toxicology specimens. The conclusions were based on toxicology results and an external examination of Fisher’s body.

Fisher died on Dec. 27, four days after going into cardiac arrest on an airplane arriving at LAX from London. The report states that Fisher’s assistant was on the plane with her. The assistant reported that she was awake and normal at the beginning of the flight, but had “multiple apneic episodes, which was her baseline” during the flight. At the end of the flight, she could not be awoken.

“Based on the available toxicological information, we cannot establish the significance of the multiple substances that were detected in Ms. Fisher’s blood and tissue, with regard to the cause of death,” the report states.

According to the report, Fisher may have ingested the cocaine as early as three days before the flight, adding to the uncertainty about the cause of death. The report also notes a likely exposure to heroin, which could have suppressed her breathing as she went into cardiac arrest.

In addition to the illegal drugs, Fisher was also taking Prozac, Abilify and Lamictal under prescription. She was also taking oxycodone without a prescription.

The report also notes that Fisher had a history of bipolar disorder and a long history of drug use.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/carrie ... 202470282/
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:54 pm

https://www.facebook.com/dorkly/videos/ ... VRJ4PWNg_M
STAR WARS vs STAR TREK cartoon video - comedy
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Wow! "STAR WARS: The Last Jedi" tickets have just gone on sale and the local Alamo Drafthouse is going to be showing the movie 24 hours
around the clock December 14, 15, and 16th. I suppose the excitement is just as high at other cinemas around the country. Could this be the
most anticipated movie of all time?! While I certainly enjoyed the last installment, it certainly wasn't the best fantasy movie I've ever seen.
(Enjoyed "Wonder Woman" better, to be honest.) Could it be due to the fact that it is Carrie Fisher's last performance ever as Princess Leia?
NefariousNed

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:47 am

NefariousNed wrote:Wow! "STAR WARS: The Last Jedi" tickets have just gone on sale and the local Alamo Drafthouse is going to be showing the movie 24 hours
around the clock December 14, 15, and 16th. I suppose the excitement is just as high at other cinemas around the country. Could this be the
most anticipated movie of all time?! While I certainly enjoyed the last installment, it certainly wasn't the best fantasy movie I've ever seen.
(Enjoyed "Wonder Woman" better, to be honest.) Could it be due to the fact that it is Carrie Fisher's last performance ever as Princess Leia?

Not just that, Ned. But they want to see more Luke, and they will. See more of Supreme Leader Snoke and find out just who he is and where he came from, but also the biggest question. Will there be a reveal of who Rey's parents are. So much speculation and rumors over that. Some say, she has to be a Skywalker. Others thinking she could be the granddaughter of Obi Wan Kenobi. And the latest is, she could be of the lineage of Emperor Palpatine. It may not even be answered in this movie, but in Ep. IX, in 2019.

There is also two other huge movies coming next month. Marvel's Thor: Ragnarok, which will include Thor's brother, Loki, The Hulk, and Dr. Strange. Also coming is DC's Justice League, which will have Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg, battle Steppenwolf, the son of Darkseid. Plus, they may have help from a certain resurrected Kryptonian.
TexianAtHeartII

Previous

Return to Movies & Television