Your Favourite John Wayne Movies

Discuss Topics About " Movies & Television "

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Your Favourite John Wayne Movies

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:15 am

whiterabbitt83 wrote:their is a urban Legand the James Dean
was a extra in the movie as a football player

Ha! Really? Certainly possible. Most big stars had walk-on's and bit parts they don't want to talk about.
RLC-GTT

Postby Buckshot on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:44 pm

I would have to say "The Searchers". Pappy had to work hard to push the Duke into another persona, because it is so unlike any other role that Duke played. "Searchers" definitely was different. And the credit goes to Pappy. Duke, often talked about how Pappy would sometimes ridicule him, but I think it was Pappy's way of making sure that it wasn't "John Wayne playing John Wayne".
Lee Marvin, having worked for Pappy, talked about how Pappy would set up a final shoot for the day and have everything in place, the actors keyed up, and then suddenly CUT, and say, "We'll shoot it tomorrow".
lee Marvin said he was thinking all night about what the heck Pappy wanted out of that scene for the next day. I think lee Marvin admired Pappy in the same manner as the Duke.
Buckshot

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:12 am

Jet Pilot has to be my favorite John Wayne movie. It was loaded with snappy dialog, hotter than hot love scenes, an exciting and believable plot, and spectacular jet speed dogfights that had me white knuckled in my movie theater chair. So, realistic that I could almost feel those G forces. I don't know, maybe I love that movie so much because I'm crazy about Paul Fix, and he did such a great job playing John Wayne's daffy side kick. Or, then again, it might just be that today is April 1. ;)
SantaClaus

Postby NefariousNed on Sun May 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Nice music video of the film, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"!
https://youtu.be/XXWpG8xPM10
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby SantaClaus on Mon May 29, 2017 10:37 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Nice music video of the film, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"!
https://youtu.be/XXWpG8xPM10

Thanks, Ned. That was a good one.
There's only one thing that really bothered me about that movie. When Liberty Valance and his two gunmen, played by Lee Van Cleef and Strother Martin, walk into Pete's restaurant, Lee Van Cleef pulls a bottle of whiskey out of his pant's waist. That's always seemed to be an extremely uncomfortable way to carry a bottle of whiskey, sticking it under your belt and into your pants. Unsanitary, too. :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby cc nolen on Wed May 31, 2017 6:46 pm

Jack keeps two or three in his boots! :o - One in his pants, usually in the back, and 2 Half- pints
in his hat!!! :lol: Started all that in the Cub Scouts when he first heard; Be Prepared! :roll:
Attachments
hhd-3.JPG
hhd-3.JPG (89.04 KiB) Viewed 655 times
cc nolen

Postby Sharkman on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:48 am

I always thought the Searchers was one of his best films. The Man who shot Liberty Valance is my second favorite.
Wayne and Stewart did well together fitting he was in his last film, wish they could have worked him into the Alamo somehow. Was he ever considered or asked ?
Sharkman

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:01 am

Sharkman wrote:I always thought the Searchers was one of his best films. The Man who shot Liberty Valance is my second favorite.
Wayne and Stewart did well together fitting he was in his last film, wish they could have worked him into the Alamo somehow. Was he ever considered or asked ?

Of the many Hollywood stars who were at one time or another considered for principle parts in THE ALAMO, I have never heard that Jimmy Stewart was considered. I love Stewart (worked with him in BANDOLERO), but I would not have considered him for any of the three major roles in THE ALAMO. Slightly possibly, he MIGHT have been a good Crockett, considering his role in HOW THE WEST WAS WON, but United Artists (the distributors) insisted that Wayne play the lead.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:41 pm

Jimmy Stewart, John Ford and John Wayne behind the scenes in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".

While "Liberty Valance" being shot in Black & White certainly added to the atmosphere and mood of the film, it also seemed to take
a few years off of Stewart and Wayne. What do you think?
Attachments
StewartFordWayne.jpg
StewartFordWayne.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 479 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Nah! It's just the angle of the sun hitting their faces (at least Jimmy's) that makes them look a tad older than in Clothier's careful lighting of the film, always aimed at glamour closeups in those days.
RLC-GTT

Postby alamonorth on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 am

Just read the new book "Wayne and Ford: The Films, The friendship and the forging of an American Hero" by professor Nancy Schoenberger. There probably isn't too much that hard core fans haven't read before and the book does contain numerous errors. There is a section on The Alamo ,but how can you trust a book ,especially a scholarly one,that does not include John Farkis in its references. The most interesting aspect is that since it is written by a female scholar we find uncommon perspectives such as her comments on the dancing scenes in Fort Apache and My Darling Clementine "Through niceties of social behavior and dancing skill, Ford manages to feminize his manliest characters, rescuing them from stereotype. Or, looked at another way, real men Do dance"
alamonorth

Postby cc nolen on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:44 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Jimmy Stewart, John Ford and John Wayne behind the scenes in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".

While "Liberty Valance" being shot in Black & White certainly added to the atmosphere and mood of the film, it also seemed to take
a few years off of Stewart and Wayne. What do you think?

Just watched it again the other night. I agree..... Not so much on Stewart but IMHO Wayne looked a lot older.
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby SantaClaus on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:16 am

My favorite John Wayne movie is The Alamo.
I could have written this post on The Alamo (1960) thread, but I figured that since it is my favorite that I'd post it here.
To me, it's still a great film. Sure, we can make long lists of what's wrong with it, including historical inaccuracies, technical goofs, script problems, director mistakes, acting flubs, etc., and those may seem to add up to a bad movie. Not to me. While 1960 movie critics squirmed in their seats and grew weary and bored, this 9 year old sat glued to his seat as he experienced one of the most spectacular films ever made. Those mythical screen characters were real to me, and their screen deaths moved me so much that I would fall asleep at night with tears in my eyes as my brother and I would listen to The Alamo music soundtrack on our bedroom record player.
I've enjoyed many and all kinds of movies in my life, but no other one had such an effect as John Wayne's The Alamo. I believe that film led me to get my B.A. in History. Though born in Chicago, I went to college in Texas (University of Dallas) because of the Alamo. It's why I moved to Texas. I would never have met and married Loretta and have had such a wonderful family had it not been for The Alamo. Like many others on this forum, I searched out and found Happy Shahan's Alamo Village, visiting there many times over the decades.
There are a number of movies that I've watched many times and that I call "favorites", and some are better productions, e.g. "Ben Hur" (1959) and "The Magnificent 7" (1960), but none of them has been as important to me as John Wayne's "The Alamo". Warts and all, there's something special about that movie. It's my favorite John Wayne movie, and it's among my top five personal favorites of all movies from any era or genre.
SantaClaus

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:03 pm

ARE YOU SURE :?: :lol: :roll:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby mrbassbone on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Like "SantaClaus", The Alamo is also MY favorite John Wayne movie closely followed by THE QUIET MAN & MCCLINTOCK.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby Seguin on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:41 am

Apart from The Alamo, I would mention, Rio Bravo and North To Alaska as my favorites.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:57 am

I guess I would have to say that, while THE ALAMO remains my all-time favorite film, it is not my favorite John Wayne film.
In my humble opinion, his acting was stilted in THE ALAMO. Not Wayne at his best an an actor.
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:32 pm

:shock: I dont know Ned, his speechafying in the back room of the Cantina - and then down by the River was pretty good....IMHO.
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby Don on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 am

I like Red River and The Searchers plus She Wore A Yellow Ribbon as his better acting jobs, but that's just my opinion. I do like The Alamo as my favourite film though.
Don

Postby SantaClaus on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:53 am

My favorite John Wayne acting moment from any of his movies is in "Island in the Sky", when Wayne and his stranded crew become jubilant at the sound and sight of their fellow pilots approaching their downed aircraft. They think they're about to be rescued from their frozen plight, but the searching pilots and crews don't see Wayne and his crew cheering below, and the rescue planes fly past them and out of sight. The look on John Wayne's face as he goes from relieved joy to sudden panic and then despair is authentic in its sudden change of emotions. You can almost see the color drain from his face (if it wasn't in black & white) as he slowly and weakly stutters out in frozen words, "I guess it's hard for them to see us down here." (or something to that effect)
I can't recall any other movie where John Wayne has a scene and a line like that where he seems absolutely deflated as if he, for a moment, seems to give up.
SantaClaus

Postby Seguin on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:14 am

NefariousNed wrote:I guess I would have to say that, while THE ALAMO remains my all-time favorite film, it is not my favorite John Wayne film.
In my humble opinion, his acting was stilted in THE ALAMO. Not Wayne at his best an an actor.

He played better in The Searchers and in True Grit, I think.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Previous

Return to Movies & Television