Classic TV Shows

Discuss Topics About " Movies & Television "

Moderator: NefariousNed

Classic TV Shows

Postby Rick on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:23 am

Here are a pair of Youtube things I found. The first is the opening/closing of the old Tales of the Texas Rangers TV show.
Never forgot that theme song and that Jace Pearson was one of my first heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2F4K7nbcgs

Second is a panel featuring four former child actors from the old Fury and My Friend Flicka TV shows. I never missed Fury on Saturday mornings -- can still recognize Bobby Diamond.

And I've often wondered whatever happened to Roger Mobley, who I remember in Emil and the Detectives and from the Gallagher serials on the Wonderful World of Color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GMrUWHzAjU
Last edited by Rick on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Re: Classic TV Shows

Postby SantaClaus on Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Rick wrote:[b]Here are a pair of Youtube things I found. The first is the opening/closing of the old Tales of the Texas Rangers TV show.

"His partner Clay is right beside him..."
Yep, I used to watch that every Saturday morning. Sponsored by Tootsie Rolls. "Always go straight, straight to every candy counter and buy Tootsie Rolls."
A couple of decades ago in Phoenix, my brother Tom came across a sidewalk art display and market. Tom recognized one of the artists, Harry Lauter A.K.A. Clay. Tom walked up and said, "Well, I haven't seen you since Tales of Texas Rangers" (though we had seen him in many other shows and movies), and Harry was delighted that he had been recognized. Tom and Harry Lauter spoke for some time, with Tom asking what Willard Parker was doing. Harry said that Willard wasn't doing so well, so I guess this chance meeting happened shortly before Willard Parker's death. That's kind of neat when you happen to come across a "star" that you had watched as a kid.
I remember seeing Harry Lauter in so many things, from movies to TV. A few that stick in my mind are:
"Earth vs. Flying Saucers" I think he's manning a giant ray gun mounted on a truck, shooting down saucers, until he and the whole truck are vaporized. :shock:
Playing an outlaw on Gene Autrey's show. Gene questions him at the sheriff's office. GENE: You're under arrest for robbery unless you have an alibi." Harry responds, "Oh yah? Well here's my alibi." and he slugs Gene, which sets off a good ol' knock'em-sock'em fight that even includes Harry falling back against the pot belly stove and yelling as butt burns. :o
In "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" Harry is one of the police radio operators grinning while Spencer Tracy's Captain Culpepper is convinced by Alan Carney not to let people out of the locked hardware store basement, because "It ain't fair". :lol:
Saw Harry Lauter in "Barquero", as one of the townspeople who help bargeman Lee Van Cleef keep Warren Oates's outlaw gang from crossing the river. Oates screaming from the other bank, "I'll dam this river with your stinking bodies!" :roll:
Harry Lauter was one of those actors who seemed to be everywhere. :D
Richard
SantaClaus

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:39 am

Rick wrote:Here are a pair of Youtube things I found. The first is the opening/closing of the old Tales of the Texas Rangers TV show.

Second is a panel featuring four former child actors from the old Fury and My Friend Flicka TV shows. I never missed Fury
on Saturday mornings -- can still recognize Bobby Diamond.

And I've often wondered whatever happened to Roger Mobley, who I remember in Emil and the Detectives and from the Gallagher
serials on the Wonderful World of Color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GMrUWHzAjU

Used to watch Tales Of The Texas Rangers all the time. I think each week they alternated between time periods, the early days and current days. Loved the way they dressed, uniform style with a great looking 2 gun rig..
TexianAtHeartII

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:05 pm

I remember Willard Parker as Jace Pearson would introduce each episode while sitting at a desk and opening one of two books as he said, Tales of Texas Rangers, Volume 1, or Volume 2 depending on whether it was an Old West story or a modern one in which they drove a car pulling a horse trailer. I guess Volume 3 is called Walker Texas Ranger. :lol:
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Classic TV Shows

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:27 am

Dragnet.jpg
Dragnet.jpg (24.11 KiB) Viewed 3210 times

DRAGNET, with Jack Webb and Harry Morgan

JOE FRIDAY: How was your weekend, Bill?
BILL GANNON: Fine, Joe. Lost one of the kids.
JOE FRIDAY: Really? How did it happen?
BILL GANNON: Playing with matches.
JOE FRIDAY: That'll do it every time.
BILL GANNON: Yeah, every time.
JOE FRIDAY: So, what do you want to do for lunch?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:30 am

Dum-de-dump-dump.
Dum-de-dump-dump-duhhhh!
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:54 pm

I use to love the old Westerns - Wanted Dead or Alive - Bonanza - Wyatt Earp - Maverick and many more, because they never had to take a bath. I know this cause they wore the same clothes all the time.
They also rode the same horse every show! :lol:
cc nolen

Postby TexasMarine on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Mentioning the old Westerns made me think of my two old favorites...Branded and F-Troop. OK. So F-Troop wasn't what you would call your classic Western, but it was fun! :lol:
They say Virginia is the mother of Texas. We never knew who the father was, but we kinda suspected Tennessee.
--- Tex Ritter
TexasMarine

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:51 pm

My favorite was "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp". My wife says that she and her brother misunderstood the lyrics to the theme and thought the guy (Tony the Tiger) was singing "brave courageous and BALD".
My older brother had to correct me as I referred to Wyatt's "Buttline Special". :lol:
I didn't understand the Ballad of Davy Crockett's "When he come home, his POLITICIN' done...". That word was not in my vocabulary, so my brain made some automatic substitute lyrics. His wife's name was Polly, so I sang, "When he come home, his Polly's chicken done...". I just figure that his wife had dinner ready for him when he got home. Makes sense when you're 4 or 5.
Anybody else get mixed up on words to a western song?
Richard McClory
SantaClaus

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Was watching an episode of The Big Valley and saw a few things that reminded me of The Alamo (1960). It was supposed to be taking place in Mexico, and Lee Majors, wanted by the local commandant, was hiding in the bell tower of the Spanish padre's church. The facade of the church was a studio lot church, but the inside was clearly a real church. The funny thing about that is that the bell tower was where you would expect it to be, to the left of the entrance door. Yet, every time somebody went inside to access the bell tower, they walked down the aisle, passed the altar, and through a sacristy door. :?:
The garrison wore uniforms just like the lancers wore in The Alamo, except they had tall hats. My guess is that those light blue tops and gray pants really were the same ones that the lancers wore.
There was also a scene where the good guys find a hidden stash of gun powder in barrels labeled in white paint, "polvera negra". The "negra" was in slightly different print and fresher white, as if someone had added "negra" later. I expected Peter Breck to say, "I'd sure like to see that soldier-boy's face when we bring this in". :lol:
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Was watching a Bonanza episode in which Hoss stays at the house of a rancher from whom he plans to buy some horses. It's all indoor sets, even the outside of the house, which is typical for Bonanza. Then, I started noticing that both the inside and outside of that house looked quite familiar. It's the same house set used in "The High Chaparral", the future house of Linda Cristal (everything's connected to The Alamo). Another funny thing was that some of the soft tender background music was a slow tempo version of what later became the theme to "The High Chaparral".
:o Good golly, Miss Molly! Just as I was typing this, "The Rifleman" was on TV, and Dan Blocker made an entrance, wearing a big bushy mustache.
Dad gummit, dad burn it, what's next?
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:50 am

But the High Chaparral set (for the exterior, anyway) was at Old Tucson. It was outdoors. I've been there.
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:17 pm

It was in pretty good shape when I was there. When the Cannons had to go to town it wasn't very far to Tucson. Great movie location. Spent the day there and had fun with the stunt guys. I think there was about ten people visiting so e got some special treatment after they realized I wasn't a "TOURIST". Got the same treatment at Alamo Village my first visit. My sets ROCK!!!!
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby SantaClaus on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:26 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:But the High Chaparral set (for the exterior, anyway) was at Old Tucson. It was outdoors. I've been there.

I knew that the outdoor set was at Old Tuscon. I was guessing that house interiors were shot on a sound stage and that there was a partial exterior on the sound stage as well. In the Bonanza episode I spoke of above, they didn't have long shots of the house exterior, just a couple of scenes outside the front door. Since the Cartwright's Ponderosa house was an obvious sound stage, I figured that's what this future Cannon house was, especially for the close up night time front door scenes.
Was the High Chaparral house complete with interiors used for filming, or were the interiors filmed on a sound stage?
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Postby Rick on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:46 pm

A guy in Yuma built himself a replica of the Cannon ranch house:

http://www.thehighchaparral.com/ronnie1.htm
Rick

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 am

SantaClaus wrote:Was watching a Bonanza episode in which Hoss stays at the house of a rancher from whom he plans to buy some horses. It's all indoor sets, even the outside of the house, which is typical for Bonanza. Then, I started noticing that both the inside and outside of that house looked quite familiar. It's the same house set used in "The High Chaparral", the future house of Linda Cristal (everything's connected to The Alamo). Another funny thing was that some of the soft tender background music was a slow tempo version of what later became the theme to "The High Chaparral".
:o Good golly, Miss Molly! Just as I was typing this, "The Rifleman" was on TV, and Dan Blocker made an entrance, wearing a big bushy mustache.
Richard McC

Is it possible the Bonanza episode was sort of a pilot for High Chaparral? Who played the ranch owner and other members of that household?
TexianAtHeartII

Postby SantaClaus on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:42 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
SantaClaus wrote:Was watching a Bonanza episode in which Hoss stays at the house of a rancher from whom he plans to buy some horses. It's all indoor sets, even the outside of the house, which is typical for Bonanza. Then, I started noticing that both the inside and outside of that house looked quite familiar. It's the same house set used in "The High Chaparral", the future house of Linda Cristal (everything's connected to The Alamo). Another funny thing was that some of the soft tender background music was a slow tempo version of what later became the theme to "The High Chaparral".
Richard McC

Is it possible the Bonanza episode was sort of a pilot for High Chaparral? Who played the ranch owner and other members of that household?

Not a pilot. Nothing similar in story or characters. Googled it earlier, not sure if I remember right. Think it was Bonanza season 8, episode 26(?). Hoss went to buy horses, and the rancher was a drunk, blaming himself for the death of his little boy. Hoss plays Pa to the other two kids and comforts the neglected wife. Familiar character actors, but nobody from the High Chaparral. The High Chaparral may have already premiered by then. I had the impression that this Bonanza episode was just borrowing the sets. I haven't watched The High Chaparral for a long time. I know they used the ranch set near Old Tuscon, but did they ever use a false exterior on a sound stage? Maybe I'm all wrong and it was just a similar set.
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Postby cc nolen on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Slipping away from the good ole westerns....It will always be hard to beat the early Andy Griffith Shows. Of course Barney is everyone's all time favorite, but I sure like Floyd the Barber and Otis Campbell. Pure comedy!
Chris... :lol:
cc nolen

Postby SantaClaus on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:04 am

cc nolen wrote:Slipping away from the good ole westerns....It will always be hard to beat the early Andy Griffith Shows. Of course Barney is everyone's all time favorite, but I sure like Floyd the Barber and Otis Campbell. Pure comedy!

Speaking of Mayberry, we were watching Star Trek (Original Series) episode "Miri", which begins with Kirk and Co. beaming down into a trashed out town. I came to life and yelled, "Loretta, That's Mayberry!" :o The obvious clue was the two columns in front of Andy's courthouse office. Shazzaam! 8-)
Richard McClory
SantaClaus

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:27 am

cc nolen wrote:Slipping away from the good ole westerns....It will always be hard to beat the early Andy Griffith Shows. Of course Barney is everyone's all time favorite, but I sure like Floyd the Barber and Otis Campbell. Pure comedy!

I sorta liked Thelma Lou.
Attachments
ThelmaLouBettyLynn.jpg
ThelmaLouBettyLynn.jpg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Can you find your favorite?
Attachments
west.JPG
west.JPG (154.05 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
cc nolen

Postby Rick on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks for posting this photo. I remember watching this program when it aired. It's viewable on YouTube.

Think the caption above flipped Mark Slade and Darby Hinton.
Rick

Postby cc nolen on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Old Tucson and High Chaparral
Attachments
hc 1.JPG
hc 1.JPG (81.74 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
cc nolen

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Betty Lynn played the 2nd wife of Texas John Slaughter. Also from Andy Griffith Gail Davis (Annie Oakley) did a guest appearance. We've been watching 'Father Knows Best". Get TV has a lot of detective and westerns from late 50's to early 60's. I bought some Jack Benny programs. Hilarious!!!!
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Just finished watching an episode of Gunsmoke, and am now watching an episode of Bonanza. Both shows, back to back, take place under unusually hot drought conditions. One thing that drives me crazy is that no matter how hot it seems to be and no matter how much people are sweating, many of the characters continue to wear their leather vests. I've only seen one guy who's bothered to take off his vest and long sleeved shirt, wearing a short sleeved undershirt in public. Everybody else is dresses like it's 60-70 F. Makes me sweat just to watch them. :?
SantaClaus

Postby Seguin on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:46 am

SantaClaus wrote:Just finished watching an episode of Gunsmoke, and am now watching an episode of Bonanza. Both shows, back to back, take place under unusually hot drought conditions. One thing that drives me crazy is that no matter how hot it seems to be and no matter how much people are sweating, many of the characters continue to wear their leather vests. I've only seen one guy who's bothered to take off his vest and long sleeved shirt, wearing a short sleeved undershirt in public. Everybody else is dresses like it's 60-70 F. Makes me sweat just to watch them. :?

Same thing in most old westerns. They´re always well dressed, clean and clean shaven no matter how long they´ve been out in the wilderness. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby GQMP on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbpc-NJHcZ8
The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson 1969
Guests Dean Martin, Bob Hope and George Gobel.
The best there ever was, Classic Comedy at its best.
The real A Troups.
Attachments
4e407529f68dca41c42aeab0cf68e024--johnny-carson-heres-johnny.jpg
4e407529f68dca41c42aeab0cf68e024--johnny-carson-heres-johnny.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 315 times
GQMP

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 am

GQMP wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbpc-NJHcZ8
The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson 1969
Guests Dean Martin, Bob Hope and George Gobel.
The best there ever was, Classic Comedy at its best.
The real A Troups.

I think this is the show where George Gobel delivered his famous quote. With all those superstars sitting there, Gobel says to Carson, do you ever feel that everybody is a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes.
TexianAtHeartII

Return to Movies & Television