Dioramas & Models.

For Topics Like Alamo Collectibles,Comics,Toys,Dioramas,Newspaper & The Media,Postcards,Waxworks Etc

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Dioramas & Models.

Postby Seguin on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:11 am

NefariousNed wrote:Image
Sand sculpture Alamo I acquired back in the 1990's. (At Cost Plus?)

Nice! It must be very compressed sand not to fall apart, or maybe they gave it a lacquer coating.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby jrboddie on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:57 pm

This is a test of a new workflow for making animations. The scene has about 300 soldados marching in the Main Plaza (February 23, 1836). There are many opportunities for improvements here, but I am excited to get this little project through the pipeline.
jrboddie

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Excellent!!!!! I want to raise a white flag!

Why "Evens and Company"? Anglo names would not have appeared on buildings until years later, and I don't recall that name. Hopefully, you have found a photo that I don't know about. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Bravo! That was a nice show...I am glad you shared it with us. Many Thanks.
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby jrboddie on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks guys. It is a "first draft" just to see if I could do the whole thing. Much more to do on setting up the scene properly, more soldado types, more animation, better textures and lighting. The new animation tool should allow me to render huge crowds of soldiers (think north wall on March 6)!

Rich, here is where I got the notion about Evans and Co.
San_Antonio_Plaza.jpg
San_Antonio_Plaza.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 246 times
jrboddie

Postby jrboddie on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 pm

And another one. I guess they are both post-revolution depictions. I'll fix in the next version.

[Picture deleted]
Last edited by jrboddie on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrboddie

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Yes, if they were Tex revolution period images, then Evans would've probably blown up the building before retiring to the Alamo.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:24 am

I see. I never noticed the name in the Seth Eastman drawing -- or more likely just ignored it since the drawing was done in March 1849 -- long after Anglo and German businessmen began to establish businesses. In 1836, it is highly unlikely that any Yankee other than Nat Lewis had a business let alone a sign. I have even wondered if Bexarenos had signs for their minimum number of businesses. "Cantina" may have been an exception. LOL. Michael Corenblith and I had this same conversation in 2003 when he was building the sets for THE ALAMO. He actually had a building named after his daughter Grace -- Hotel Graciela -- just to the right of Bowie's cantina, but finally painted out all names. The Bexarenos knew where the few businesses were, and the Anglos weren't there yet.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:30 am

I am very impressed and excited about your advances with animation. Wow, Jim. This is getting very fun-filled. Keep up the good work. By the way, who did the second painting (or is it modern)? I've never seen it before. Looks like somebody tried to combine Eastman's work with Samuel's.
RLC-GTT

Postby jrboddie on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Rich, I'm sorry to say that I am pretty terrible at recording the sources of my reference images. I seem to recall that the second image is a more recent work and borrows from the earlier paintings. It may be a cropped image of a mural that was sent to me by someone a few years ago or something I found in a "deep dive" into an online collection that is not searchable by google. I am going to remove it from my post because of potential copyright issues.
jrboddie

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:30 am

Oooops. I didn't mean for you to remove it. But, if there is a risk, then perhaps it's for the best. It was interesting and I was curious why I'd never come across it before.. I was pretty sure it is of recent origin.
RLC-GTT

Postby gh1836 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:21 am

Enjoyed the animation Jim! More please!
Gary Heck
gh1836

Previous

Return to The Alamo In Popular Culture