Alamo Art In Pop Culture

For Topics Like Alamo Collectibles,Comics,Toys,Dioramas,Newspaper & The Media,Postcards,Waxworks Etc

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Alamo Art In Pop Culture

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:38 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
cc nolen wrote:Interesting old pic...

Hate this painting. It has been a nemesis for years. Some book labeled it as "The Alamo - 1836," and ever since then it has been popping up in historical publications labeled as such -- from people who ought to know better. It was just some illustration that was done in the early 20th century, when they first saw the Long Barrack without the porches of the Grenet facade. The artist was short on knowledge of the original architecture of the compound and long on imagination. It also gets my snowballs.

Two things jumped out as WRONG for me, and I'm not an expert. The church facade seems to have a half ruined hump, as if the Alamo had a hump before the U.S. Army put one on. There other thing that got my attention was the presence of all those trees around the rear of the church.
I do have a question for you, Rich. You say, "It also gets my snowballs". I understand the ongoing San Antonio snowball fight, but is this now a Curilla-ism? Like some kind of cantankerous old timer, "Dag nab it! That really gets my snowballs!" :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Might be. Others create my legend. :P
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:57 am

Alamo art clipped from a sack of Alamo Flour, c-1911. Nice detail for just an ad. (Though the configuration of the stonework around the niches is wrong.)
Who can see other errors?
Attachments
AlamoFlourSack.jpg
AlamoFlourSack.jpg (217.8 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:55 am

That would be a cool Alamo item to have.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Although wildly inaccurate, this image has haunted me since childhood as it depicts the utter
hopelessness of the fight. This version seems to have been hand-tinted.
Attachments
AlamoHandTinted.jpg
AlamoHandTinted.jpg (79.1 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Yes. It is indeed passionate. I've had the same reaction.
RLC-GTT

Postby HunterMike on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Beckman.JPG
Beckman.JPG (102.92 KiB) Viewed 2262 times

Hey Rich, here's a transcription of an article from The Daily Light, Nov. 19, 1895 regarding the above drawing:
The Alamo 1845
"Mr. John A. Beckman, of this city, has just finished a pen and ink drawing of the historic Alamo as it appeared in 1845.
The picture which, in size, is 18 x 30 inches, was copied from an original pencil sketch made by Mr. Beckman when but
ten years old, and while his father was keeper of the Alamo. Old veterans who have seen the Alamo in it's original state
pronounce it perfect in every detail. John is proud of being the owner of this antiquated relic and has had it copyrighted.
He was around yesterday showing it to all his friends."

Not sure about his father being keeper of the Alamo and veterans pronouncing it perfect in every detail, but it's in print,
so it must be true!
....then on Dec. 9, 1895
"The John C. Beckman pen drawing of the Alamo has been presented to the orphans--Catholic and Protestant, for their
benefit."
Greatness courts failure
HunterMike

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Now this is interesting, HunterMike. Heretofore, many here had imagined that the artist had merely based his Long Barrack look on how
the building appeared after the Hugo & Schmeltzer wooden framework had been removed in 1913. (With all the Honore Grenet cut doors.)
But that the images dates to 1895, suggests otherwise. Perhaps the artist himself was at the Alamo when the Grenet store still covered
the Long Barrack and then merely copied/incorporated the new-cut doors into his artwork, assuming they were part of the original building.
Attachments
LongBarracksRuinsSansGrenet.jpg
LongBarracksRuinsSansGrenet.jpg (84.1 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:33 am

It is certainly possible that Beckman deconstructed the Hugo & Schmeltzer building visually to create his imagined "1845" view, but it is not possible that this is the way the Long Barrack looked in 1845 -- from a ten-year-old's sketch. Far more reliable and professional drawings exist from the period that corroborate one another and refute Beckman's claim. As far as the "perfect in every detail" quote from "old veterans that have seen the Alamo in its original state," what the heck else are they going to say when the spotlight is on them. This last comment in the article also sounds like the kind of fictional color journalists of the late 19th. century added all the time to their writings. What veterans? Tell me who, journalist, so I can evaluate his credibility.

Below are three reliable drawings that corroborate one another and provide the best references on how the Long Barrack looked at the time claimed by Beckman -- or the journalist.

1) The oldest, drawn by Lysander Wells in 1839, has the broadest view of details of the three. I mean that Wells saw and recorded things in front of him that no other contemporary did. (i.e. the broken back wall seen through the open window at the left, the correct alignment of the low wall (Mary Maverick's drawing, which claims to be a year before Wells, shows a white opening where the window is, leading me to believe that Mary Maverick copied hers from him and that one of the dates is wrong.

2) The Jacob Edmond Blake drawing from 1845 is the best representation of what it looked like in....... 1845.

3) The 1848 Edward Everett drawing shows what the Army did in the revamp into the quartermaster's depot.

In all cases, the first two openings from the S.W. corner are (going right to left) a square doorway and a round archway (which is the window to the right of the arched Porteria entrance to the courtyard). In the Blake and Wells drawings, we see the Porteria in its original round arch form. In the Everett however the arch has been filled in by the army and a small square doorway pierced through it. All this matches the details of the original facade openings exposed by the removal of the H&S front. Beckman's fictional view simply made up the lower level "look" while keeping the doors of the upper balcony. "Cut! Print! Check the gate. We're moving on."
Attachments
1. Lysander Wells.JPG
1. Lysander Wells.JPG (193.05 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
2. Jacob Edmond Blake 1845.jpg
2. Jacob Edmond Blake 1845.jpg (72.2 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
3. Edward Everett.jpg
3. Edward Everett.jpg (51.65 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
RLC-GTT

Postby HunterMike on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:08 am

Uh...I really don't think this is what the Alamo looked like. I was just transcribing what the article said. I am confused, however, about the artist. John A. supposedly did the sketch (his name is on it, anyway), while the orphans received the John C. artwork "for their benefit", according to the paper. Probably a typo. John C. was the father and John A. was one of his sons. So it wasn't just some random artist, passing through Bexar and happened to sketch the Alamo. He lived right behind it. The way in which it was sketched it is beyond me.

John C., according to the TSHA, moved to Texas in 1846 and was "employed by the United States Govt. to set up three forges in the Alamo for blacksmith work for the army and for renovation of the Alamo. His first home, built in 1849, was behind the Alamo on Crockett Street." The math doesn't work for either of them being 10 yrs old when the sketch was done. My guess is that John C., the father, did the sketch and John A., the son, copied it years later with his own embellishments. That being said, John C. certainly had a visual knowledge of the Alamo, pre-Grenet, that he unfortunately, failed to capture for our benefit. John A's. rendition just confused the matter, with the assumed Grenet additions.
I'm sure Chaska has a lot more info on the Beckmann's that he could share.
Greatness courts failure
HunterMike

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks, Mike. Far more insight than I had, and I agree completely about the inaccuracy of the drawing and also lament his inability to remember what the heck it looked like.
RLC-GTT

Postby marklemon on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:33 am

Popping on just long enough to post this illustration done last year, depicting Crockett in captivity after the
battle, being brought before Santa Anna. As I have noted before, I sometimes spend a lot of time in the car
line waiting to pick up my daughter from school, and so at those moments, I draw and sketch. This image
was drawn completely start to finish, over a week or so, while waiting in the car.
Attachments
crockettcapturedred1.jpg
crockettcapturedred1.jpg (249.7 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
"The truth shall set you free...but first it will piss you off!"
marklemon

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:19 am

Very nice, Mark! And it's good to see you posting again. Nice "long lens" effect, making us viewing this from a distance. Didn't know you were a cinematographer.
RLC-GTT

Postby marklemon on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Very nice, Mark! And it's good to see you posting again. Nice "long lens" effect, making us viewing this from a distance. Didn't know you were a cinematographer.

Thank you buddy....don't get here much anymore, since my hands are chock full of real life challenges. I am working on a number of paintings at this time, first of which is Chris Nolen's Travis piece.
I'll post a few random things here and there, which I have done over the last year or so, and hopefully, when my personal life settles down a bit, many more.
marklemon

Postby marklemon on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:47 am

Not sure if I posted this before...A melancholy Mexican soldier, soon after the battle, contemplating a captured Texian knife.
Attachments
alamoelsoldadomelancolia.jpg
alamoelsoldadomelancolia.jpg (18.37 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
marklemon

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:36 am

marklemon wrote:Not sure if I posted this before...A melancholy Mexican soldier, soon after the battle, contemplating a captured Texian knife.

Never saw it before. Unique moment.
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:13 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
marklemon wrote:Not sure if I posted this before...A melancholy Mexican soldier, soon after the battle, contemplating a captured Texian knife.

I'll bet he's thinking; Damn, I made it!.......... :shock:
cc nolen

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:17 pm

cc nolen wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:

I'll bet he's thinking; Damn, I made it!.......... :shock:

On the other hand, he might be thinking "Carumba! What have I just done?"
RLC-GTT

Postby MartyB on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Per Ned's request...

'The Alamo in the 1860s by renowned landscape and military artist Ogden Minton Pleissner (1905-1983)... The original oil-on-
canvas work was commissioned for the Texas State Capitol in 1965 and is based on some of the earliest known photographs
of the Alamo mission and plaza in downtown San Antonio... It depicts the Alamo during its years as a frontier supply depot
for the United States Army...'
Attachments
000_00A000(0) A 000 a A a09 Alamo Artwork By artist Ogden Minton Pleissner2.jpg
000_00A000(0) A 000 a A a09 Alamo Artwork By artist Ogden Minton Pleissner2.jpg (175.12 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 am

Here's one I hadn't seen before. "General Castrillon Taking Prisoners" by Alberto Ramirez Jr..
Attachments
GeneralCastrillonTakingPrisonersAlbertoRamirezJr..jpg
GeneralCastrillonTakingPrisonersAlbertoRamirezJr..jpg (84.45 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Here's one I hadn't seen before. "General Castrillon Taking Prisoners" by Alberto Ramirez Jr..

I've NEVER seen this! It's excellent! Do you know when it was painted?
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:10 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:Here's one I hadn't seen before. "General Castrillon Taking Prisoners" by Alberto Ramirez Jr..

I've NEVER seen this! It's excellent! Do you know when it was painted?

General Castrillon Takes Prisoners. 3'x5' Acrylic on Masonite. Alberto Ramirez Jr., 2002.

He has an art website: http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVi6c ... erkb6wH6Q-
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks. I like it.
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 am

Very nice, even though it´s a modern painting.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby marklemon on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 pm

"Bloody Dawn: The Pyrrhic Victory" This is a piece I painted in 2010, and sold to a local San Antonio attorney, John Cerna. Through
the help of friend Bob O'Campo, I finally obtained a photographic image of the original, which I used to make prints. New prints
will be available very soon About a week). Size is 20" by 28", with titled, white border, all signed and numbered in a very limited
edition of 30 prints only. Depicts the victorious (for the moment) Mexican Army soon after the fall of the Alamo. Price is $100,
plus $5 shipping. Pre-order NOW, and choose a low-numbered print. A very LOW number of Artist's Proof Prints (3) are available
for $150, and free shipping. Email me at mark.lemon@att.net to order.
Attachments
bloodydawn.jpg
bloodydawn.jpg (64.53 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
marklemon

Postby cc nolen on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Dangit Mark! I love this painting...I am out of room * (when the Travis Painting is done) ---> I asked Linda if I could cover the hall,
but she told me to go back to my room! :roll:
Hadn't had the new house but a year and already need an addition!....... * and a bigger Bar if Brian keeps bringing Jack over! :o
Mighty nice, Amigo!
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Gulfpride Oil Magazine ad, 1948
Attachments
GulfprideOilAd1948.jpg
GulfprideOilAd1948.jpg (73.12 KiB) Viewed 675 times
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 am

NefariousNed wrote:Gulfpride Oil Magazine ad, 1948

Funny, how the Alamo was/is used for selling just about everything, even alcohol. The only thing I have´nt seen yet is cigarettes. Alcohol, yes - cigarettes, no. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:11 am

I have seen a cigarette ad, but I don't remember which brand.
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:31 am

RLC-GTT wrote:I have seen a cigarette ad, but I don't remember which brand.

It looks like I was mistaken. This is probably the ad you saw.
Attachments
AlamoAd.jpg
AlamoAd.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:05 pm

This painting, which appeared in my 7th grade history book, shows the Alamo as it looked after it had
been restored in 1850. Bowie, Crockett, and Travis are all represented. (Note the Texans firing from
the upper statue niches!)
Attachments
AlamoGetty.jpg
AlamoGetty.jpg (385.23 KiB) Viewed 450 times
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:06 am

NefariousNed wrote:This painting, which appeared in my 7th grade history book, shows the Alamo as it looked after it had
been restored in 1850. Bowie, Crockett, and Travis are all represented. (Note the Texans firing from
the upper statue niches!)

And Crockett has become an exalted hightail, or maybe the Junior Woodchucks got the idea from Crockett. :D
Attachments
Donald-ExaltedHightails-2.jpg
Donald-ExaltedHightails-2.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby gtj222 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:30 pm

I received this letter from the Mystic Stamp Company and two coins of their new Texas War of Independence Coin Collection. I provided the art for the "Battle at the Low Wall of the Alamo".
Attachments
23559760_1764732913558071_1216848712608869218_n.jpg
23559760_1764732913558071_1216848712608869218_n.jpg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 326 times
gtj222

Postby gtj222 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Here is the picture side of the uncirculated fifty cent pieces used.
Attachments
23722369_1764733270224702_8398119376490551410_n.jpg
23722369_1764733270224702_8398119376490551410_n.jpg (82.09 KiB) Viewed 323 times
gtj222

Postby gtj222 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:34 pm

And of course, the backs of the half dollars.
Attachments
23561632_1764733920224637_646555493146122645_n.jpg
23561632_1764733920224637_646555493146122645_n.jpg (94.27 KiB) Viewed 320 times
gtj222

Postby Seguin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 am

That´s just awesome, GT! Congratulations. Your artwork will survive among coin collectors for ages.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Good Lord Tom, that is great! Congrats!
Chris...
PS: I need to buy a small print of this for my HHDs display....The hatchet. :D I will email ya.
cc nolen

Postby gtj222 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Sure thing Chris.
gtj222

Previous

Return to The Alamo In Popular Culture