Military Firsts

Historical Events & People

Moderator: NefariousNed

Military Firsts

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm sure this thread can fill up with lots of examples, but this particular one is from today's paper. (I wonder
why the article is hesitant to give her name though?!)
:o

Marines expect to assign woman as infantry officer

WASHINGTON POST

The Marine Corps plans to soon assign a female infantry officer to a combat unit, a historic first, following her
anticipated graduation from the service’s grueling Infantry Officer Course, service officials said Thursday.

The lieutenant and her male colleagues completed a three-week combat exercise that includes live fire at the
service’s training center at Twentynine Palms, California, on Wednesday. That marked the final graded
requirement in the 13-week course, which widely is seen as some of the toughest training in the military, and
typically sees 25 percent washing out.

The woman is the first of three dozen women who have attempted the course to pass. She is expected to lead a
platoon of 40 Marines in a service that is often seen as the most resistant to full gender integration in the military.
It has grappled this year with a scandal in which more than a 1,000 current Marines and veterans were investigated
for sharing photos of nude female colleagues online.

The class will mark its graduation Monday with a “warrior breakfast” in Quantico, Virginia, said three officials with
knowledge of the course. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the graduation hasn’t yet occurred. All
that remains is returning training equipment and a few administrative days, they said.

The historic moment arrives nearly two years after then-Defense Secretary Ash Carter lifted the military’s last
remaining restrictions for women, part of an effort by the Obama administration to make the armed forces fully
inclusive. Officials shared few details about the lieutenant Thursday, and two said it is unlikely that she will agree
to do any interviews, preferring to be a “quiet professional” and just do her job.

The Marines first opened the Infantry Officer Course to women in 2012, allowing them to attempt it as a part of
research across the Defense Department examining how to integrate all-male units. Thirty-two women tried the
course before the research ended in 2015, and none completed it.

Four additional female Marines have attempted the course since the Pentagon opened all jobs to women in December
2015, including the lieutenant expected to graduate Monday. At least one of those four women attempted the course
twice but did not complete it.

The course requires both proficiency as a military officer in the field and the stamina to loads of up to 152 pounds.
The school begins with a day-long endurance test. About 10 percent of students historically fail the first day.
Attachments
Marines-WomanInfantryOfficer.jpg
Marines-WomanInfantryOfficer.jpg (54.44 KiB) Viewed 453 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Re: Military Firsts

Postby Buckshot on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:27 am

Great question, Ned. With regard to the Marine Corps not naming the first female to complete the Infantry Officer Course, it has been a practice for sometime now, that the Marines, for OPSEC, or PERSEC, do not publish names or photos of females, in certain units who might engage in direct combat against radical Islam. ISIS routinely scans the U.S. media for info ref U.S. military females.
Buckshot

Postby warren on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Yes, that was my thought also before I read your post, Buckshot.
warren

Postby Buckshot on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:54 pm

First Ho-Chunk Winnebago NA to receive the Medal of Honor.

On this day 242 years ago, the continental Congress authorized the creation of two battalions of a "landing force" to be known as continental Marines.
Semper Fidelis and happy Marine birthday to Chris, Joe Musso, and any other former Marines on the forum. Semper Fidelis also to the memory of Mitchell Red Cloud, a WW2 Marine who fought in some of the bloodiest battles of that war.
Mitchell Red Cloud.jpg
Mitchell Red Cloud.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 238 times

When the Korean war broke out, Red Cloud enlisted in the army and was a squad leader in the 19th infantry regiment. On 5 November, 1950, with information that a massive group of Chinese enemy were headed directly at his unit, Red Cloud voluntarily moved ahead of his unit to gather information. Attacked by the Chinese, Red Cloud poured a torrent of fire into them with various weapons, including a Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR).
He was last seen, with numerous wounds, standing upright, clinging to a tree, and firing the 21 pound BAR one-handed, into a horde of enemy.
His body was recovered the next day, surrounded by Chinese corpses. Mitchell's parents later traveled to the White House to receive Mitchell's MOH from President Truman.
Semper Fidelis to you, Mitchell. You kept the faith.
Buckshot

Postby jiminnc on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:55 pm

I was looking for some place to put this post when I saw Buckshot's remarks concerning the 242nd anniversary of the founding of the United States Marine Corps. I proudly wore that uniform nearly a half century ago and to this day I still carry one of my dog tags. So to all my fellow Marines Happy Birthday and Semper Fi. To all who have served in any branch I thank you for your service. And a special thank you to the families of those that have served, or are currently serving, as a part of you went with them no matter where they went.

Jim in NC
jiminnc

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 pm

San Antonio Express News, Thursday, January 11, 2018
Attachments
ExpressNewsObitFirstU.S.FemaleGeneral-Jan-11-18.jpg
ExpressNewsObitFirstU.S.FemaleGeneral-Jan-11-18.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 51 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Return to Other Historical Events & People