Comic Book Festivals.

Discussion On All Aspects Of Books & Literature

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Comic Book Festivals.

Postby Seguin on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:24 am

The guy who owned the house we were in has one of the largest Disney collections in Denmark. Here´s his Donald Duck
weeklies which started over here in 1949 and they´ve all been bound into books. At the bottom left you see 10 black &
white cases. In each case are three large format books, 30 in all. That´s the Carl Barks Library in Danish. He´s the guy
who created Duckburg and most of its inhabitants such as Uncle Scrooge, The Beagle Boys, Gyro Gearloose, Gladstone
Gander, Magica De Spell, etc.etc.

Here´s another one of his bookcases full of Disney comics. The blue ones at the bottom are the American edition of The
Carl Barks Library, which were also published as 10 cases with three large format books in each case. Apart from the
comics, they also contain a huge amount of articles about Disney and Carl Barks written by various scholars.
At the bottom to the left you see some Mickey Mouse books. That´s the first books in a new series of reprinted Mickey
Mouse stories starting with 1931, all drawn by Floyd Gottfredson.

Finally, a bookcase full of non-Disney comics. On the other side of the bookcase are just as many comics. There was also
a room with a lot of individual Disney comic books, stack after stack, but I forgot to photograph them.

Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:35 am

A member trying on a funny Donald Duck cap. The logo on his T-shirt is our Disney Society´s logo drawn by the famous Disney
duck artist, Don Rosa, who lives in Kentucky. As with Carl Barks, his comics have also been collected in a series of hard cover
books.

A member explaining how to list new Disney comics in the Disney comics database on the internet (inducks.org). It´s a world
wide project listing all the Disney comics published all over the world from the very beginning till now. There´s people in all
countries who list their country´s Disney comics.

The group photo:

That´s all folks! :D
Attachments
Comics-That´sAllFolks.jpg
Comics-That´sAllFolks.jpg (39.99 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:02 pm

Great little gathering here, Hans. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see that Alamo buffs (such as yourself) also have other interests outside the Alamo.

I prefer smaller gatherings like this to the mass assemblages of High Holy Days in San Antonio. At smaller gatherings, you can actually mingle and talk
to everyone there, if you like. One of the yearly frustrations of HHDs is that of the 300+ people who show up, a person only gets to see maybe a dozen
of the people they want to see. Sure, we get in large group photos over HHD just to prove we were all there, but that's all. Not much one on one time.

That's a great collection of bound Don Rosa Donald duck comic books. Shoots even my extensive Texana library all to hell.

Looks like everyone present had a good time.

The Donald Duck caps look great. Did you bid on (and win) anything at the auction?)
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:06 am

Thanks, Ned! We did mingle in smaller groups when there was´nt something on our common agenda. That way you get to talk to everybody.

That's a great collection of bound Don Rosa Donald duck comic books. Shoots even my extensive Texana library all to hell.

Right, it´s a pretty large collection. The guy is a completist, so he´s got both the Don Rosa Library and the Carl Barks Library in various languages, plus all the Donald Duck comic books ever printed in Denmark, which he got bound into hard cover books, although he got most of them as individual comic books too, not to mention a bunch of American Disney comics too.

We indeed had a great time. We always have a great time in each other´s company, so much so that that we have members coming all the way from Sweden, Norway and Holland. Last summer we even had two coming from France. One of them created this year´s poster.

People got a nice laugh of the Donald Duck cap that looks like Donald. I did´nt bid on anything this time since I already got most of the Disney comics I´m interested in inc. the Carl Barks Library and Don Rosa ditto. I still need to get some of the Donald Duck comics from the early 1950´s, but they´re not exactly cheap.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:54 am

Good grief! A Brit destroyed comics worth £20.000! :o :shock:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... omics.html
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Ebay is crying over this.....Maybe the statue will bring alot? :roll:
cc nolen

Postby SantaClaus on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:10 pm

cc nolen wrote:Ebay is crying over this.....Maybe the statue will bring alot? :roll:

Just think of what an artist could do with your knife collection? Melt and bend all those blades, break up the handles, and you could create a cool looking modern art statue representing something extremely unimportant and worth hundreds of dollars. ;)
SantaClaus

Postby K Hale on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Seguin wrote:Good grief! A Brit destroyed comics worth £20.000! :o :shock:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... omics.html

There are comic books worth upwards of $25,000?

A skip is a dumpster, correct? So someone intentionally threw this comic book away. The artist found some old comics in a dumpster and used them in his art. Not at all surprising. The bigger question is how did the person who owned this thing not realize what they had? I would expect someone who would have this in their possession would be the type to be aware of what comics are worth.
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby cc nolen on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:33 pm

If he would have run a few on ebay just to test the water, he would have been shocked!
By the way; Richard, I just woke up after your suggestion of melting down my collection! :o :o :o ..........Damn! I'm on the floor again! :shock: :shock: dont tell Rich, he may add that to his list of Chris Weapons! (Melted Knives!) :o .......here I go again!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
cc nolen

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:45 am

Sure makes snowballs seem obsolete. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:38 am

There are comic books worth upwards of $25,000?

You bet, Kristi!

Superman's Action Comics No. 1 sells for record $3.2 million on eBay

Swooping in almost at the last second to win the "holy grail" issue, the top bidder will now own the most expensive comic book in the world.

Superman has soared to new heights.

A "pristine" copy of Action Comics No. 1, the comic book that introduced the Man of Steel to the world in 1938, sold for $3,207,852 on an eBay auction Sunday night following a last-minute round of intense bidding. By far the highest price ever paid for a single comic book, the number flew up, up, and away past the $2,161,000 paid for a less pristine copy that was auctioned in 2011.

The auction started on August 14 with a bid of $1 million and then gradually flew ever higher over the next 10 days, drawing in 13 different bidders with a total of 48 bids. The action truly heated up over the final few minutes as the bidding quickly jumped from $2.5 million to $2.6 million to $2.7 million before shooting up to $3,207,752. But at virtually the last few seconds, the winning bidder automatically soared in with an offer of $3,207,852 to take home the prize collectible.

"This was a record auction for eBay as it was the most expensive comic book ever sold on our marketplace," Gene Cook, general manager of emerging verticals for eBay Marketplaces, said in a statement. "The sale of Action Comics No. 1 is a prime example of how eBay plays a role in popular culture by connecting shoppers to must-have merchandise, including rare and valuable collectibles. This was an extraordinary opportunity to bring a comic -- one that has captured the attention of passionate collectors and casual fans alike."

The Action Comics No. 1 that sold on eBay on Sunday is considered the "holy grail" of comic books not just for its status in history but for its condition. The issue was awarded a grade of 9.0 from the Certified Guaranty Company, the highest grade ever assigned to a copy of Action Comics #1 issue by CGC and a sign that the 76-year-old comic is still in top condition.

"The quality and preservation of this Action No. 1 is astounding," Paul Litch, CGC Primary Grader, said in a statement last month. "The book looks and feels like it just came off the newsstand. It is supple, the colors are deep and rich and the quality of the white pages is amazing for a comic that is 76 years old."

Only around 50 unrestored original copies of Action Comics No. 1 reportedly still exist. The seller, collectibles dealer Darren Adams, described the worth and value of the comic book on the eBay page:

This is THE comic book that started it all. This comic features not only the first appearance of Superman, Clark Kent and Lois Lane, but this comic began the entire superhero genre that has followed during the 76 years since. It is referred to as the Holy Grail of comics and this is the finest graded copy to exist with perfect white pages. This is .... the Mona Lisa of comics and stands alone as the most valuable comic book ever printed.

"I'm proud to have owned the most valuable comic book in the world," Adams said in a statement following the auction. "Working with eBay on this auction allowed me to share this rare treasure with their global community and ensure the next owner is just as passionate about its place in history."

Part of the proceeds of the auction will go toward the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation.

https://www.cnet.com/news/supermans-act ... n-on-ebay/
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 pm

I guess everyone has something they put a high price on. From comic books, to bubble gum cards, to rare stamps.
What's frivolous to one is gold to another.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Previous

Return to Books & Literature