(Other fellas) call me up for a date
But I just sit and wait, I'd rather concentrate
On Johnny Angel (Johnny Angel)

i just heard it on youtube
and i was wrong all these years lol lol
whiterabbitt83

Re: Misheard Song Lyrics

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:02 am

When I was a little kid, I already had a keen awareness that death was part of life.
That's why I disliked the song, "Winter Wonderland". The cheerful Holiday song has
a line that goes, "...Later on we'll conspire as we dream by the fire...". I misheard it
as , "..Later on, we'll expire as we dream by the fire...". I saw nothing particularly
romantic about a couple dying together in front of a fire, hand in hand, or not! And I
certainly did not want to see my parents go like that. Why, I thought, would they like
such a song?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:19 am

The Battle Hymn of the Republic used to confuse me. I always wanted to know what a louya was and why Glory had one!

Unc how about you and the National Anthem!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:59 am

Well, yeah! You already blew my punch line though.

I always thought "donserly" was a type of light, meaning brilliant, shining and the kind you had to shade your eyes from. A teacher told me there was no such word in the dictionary. I KNEW there was, and referred her to the lyrics of the National Anthem. Simple understanding always trumps dictionaries. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby K Hale on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:33 am

"On the Road Again."

REAL LYRICS: "The life I love is making music with my friends."

WHAT I HEARD FOR YEARS: "Looks like my lover's making music with my friends."

I thought that explained why he wanted to get on the road again.
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby Rick on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:43 am

Two come to mind.

In second grade music class, we sang a song called The Swing, the first line of which was:

How do you like to go up in a swing, up in the air so blue?

Well, smart asses Mark Stevens and I used to change one later line in it to:

Over the wall and into a tree . . .

The teacher used to get PO'd at us for that.

The other is the first line of the Beach Boys song Help Me Rhonda. I still don't know what Al Jardine was saying when he sang that line (because I've never bothered to look it up), but humor columnist Dave Barry years ago claimed to have solved it. According to him, Jardine actually is singing:

Well, since you put me down, there've been owls pukin' in my bed.

"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:11 am

Is it "Lucy in the skies with diamonds" or "Lucy in disguise with diamonds?" I still don't know. Either way, it sounds like an acid trip.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:18 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Is it "Lucy in the skies with diamonds" or "Lucy in disguise with diamonds?" I still don't know. Either way, it sounds like an acid trip.

Interesting. John Fred who wrote the 1968 song, "Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)" also thought it was
"Lucy In Disguise With Diamonds". When he found out it wasn't he just had to come up with his own
parody version. Hence, "Judy In Disguise". John Lennon is said to have loved it.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Lucy in the sky with diamonds = LSD.
In the 60s we brought a whole new meaning to: "And lead us not into temptation." 8-)
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 pm

Creedence Clearwater Revival's song, "Bad Moon Rising" has the line, "There's a bad moon on the rise...." However, some folks misheard it
as, "There's a bathroom on the right..."
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:06 pm

"Thy will be done." WHAT will be done? :oops:
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:16 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:"Thy will be done." WHAT will be done? :oops:

My will to smash you with a snowball! :lol: -- little warm for snow, lets sling cow paddys!!! :o
cc nolen

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:13 pm

the most famous one is ABBA
the winner takes it all
the wrong lyrics posted
Always staying low
The game is on again
A lover or a friend
A big thing or a small
The winner takes it all
the real lyrics
Always staying low
The game is not a game
Another hall of fame
A big thing or a small
The winner takes it all
whiterabbitt83

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:10 am

cc nolen wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:"Thy will be done." WHAT will be done? :oops:

My will to smash you with a snowball! :lol: -- little warm for snow, lets sling cow paddys!!! :o

Yeah! And Connie's been having late spring temperatures in normally ice box Pennsylvania!!!! They're ALL against us!!!!
RLC-GTT

Postby Rick on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:40 am

Rich, exactly what did you do to P.O. the Snow Gods?
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:04 am

It isn't a song lyric, but in the movie The Private War of Major Benson, Charlton Heston had occasion to hear a little boy say the Lord's Prayer one night. Our family's favorite line from that movie was the little guy asking the Lord to "deliver us from eagles"!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:13 am

There's even an Alamo tie-in with the movie -- Julie Adams who plays Charlton Heston's love interest in The Private War of Major Benson also played Beth Anders in The Man From the Alamo!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 am

ConnieFromHaiti wrote:It isn't a song lyric, but in the movie The Private War of Major Benson, Charlton Heston had occasion to hear a little boy say the Lord's Prayer one night. Our family's favorite line from that movie was the little guy asking the Lord to "deliver us from eagles"!

I was going to mention this, but I couldn't remember the name of the movie. Hope it's still downstairs. Thanks. And Julie Adams was in a much better movie when she did Major Benson than when she did Man from the Alamo.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:04 am

Sort of reminds me of an incident that took place back in 1980 during the March 6 living history commemorations at the Alamo.
Some of us Texians were in position in front of the church facade and, when Travis hollered, "The Enemy are upon us---Give them
Hell!" we ducked off into the Convento Courtyard out of view of the audience while narrator Henry Guerra continued his talk. We
couldn't hear anything, try as we may. So it was, that when Guerra stated, "Then the bands of Santa Anna struck up the no quarter
tune," and somebody asked, "What's he saying?" somebody else replied, "I think he said, 'Then the bands of Santa Anna struck up
a Cole Porter tune' ".
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:08 pm

When you have time...listen to the old song Louie Louie. I have always wondered just what they was on when they recorded that tune? LOL! :lol: ... 8-)
cc nolen

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:23 pm

cc nolen wrote:When you have time...listen to the old song Louie Louie. I have always wondered just what they was on when they recorded that tune? LOL! :lol: ... 8-)

chris witch version
the original by Paul Revere & the raiders
or the cover
by the kingman
whiterabbitt83

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:16 pm

Actually, the original was written by Richard Berry and recorded in 1957 by him and his band the Pharaohs (according to The New Yorker and to Snopes). The Kingsmen didn't record it till 1963, when Paul Revere and the Raiders also recorded it. But, to your question, Rabbit, I am sure Chris is referring to the Kingsmen version, since that is the only one that is unintelligible! According to The New Yorker (and several other online sources) the reason it is impossible to understand Jack Ely's vocals in the Kingsmen version is that the recording conditions were terrible -- only 3 mics for the whole band and the one for his voice was up in the ceiling! He had to sing with his face stretched up toward the mic and he had to shout over the volume of all the instruments around him. Finally, to top it all off, he apparently had braces on his teeth! All told, a recipe for incomprehensible lyrics. When you listen to other versions, they are really pretty innocuous!

But thanks for bringing up Paul Revere and the Raiders, Rabbit. Watching the YouTube of their Louie, Louie brought back fun childhood memories of their silly performances!
ConnieFromHaiti

Return to Music Appreciation