THE BEATLES

Discussion & Appreciation Of All Things Music

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: THE BEATLES

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:42 pm

A fan photo of John Lennon in Bermuda in 1980 just months before his murder.
Attachments
LennonFanPhotoBermuda1980.jpg
LennonFanPhotoBermuda1980.jpg (55.55 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:26 am

The Story Behind Paul McCartney’s Song: “Let It Be.”

I was going through a really difficult time around the autumn of 1968. It was late in the Beatles’ career and we had begun making a new album, a follow-up to the “White Album.” As a group we were starting to have problems. I think I was sensing the Beatles were breaking up, so I was staying up late at night, drinking, doing drugs, clubbing, the way a lot of people were at the time. I was really living and playing hard.

The other guys were all living out in the country with their partners, but I was still a bachelor in London with my own house in St. John’s Wood. And that was kind of at the back of my mind also, that maybe it was about time I found someone, because it was before I got together with Linda.

So, I was exhausted! Some nights I’d go to bed and my head would just flop on the pillow; and when I’d wake up I’d have difficulty pulling it off, thinking, “Good job I woke up just then or I might have suffocated.”

Then one night, somewhere between deep sleep and insomnia, I had the most comforting dream about my mother, who died when I was only 14. She had been a nurse, my mum, and very hardworking, because she wanted the best for us. We weren’t a well-off family- we didn’t have a car, we just about had a television – so both of my parents went out to work, and Mum contributed a good half to the family income. At night when she came home, she would cook, so we didn’t have a lot of time with each other. But she was just a very comforting presence in my life. And when she died, one of the difficulties I had, as the years went by, was that I couldn’t recall her face so easily. That’s how it is for everyone, I think. As each day goes by, you just can’t bring their face into your mind, you have to use photographs and reminders like that.

So in this dream twelve years later, my mother appeared, and there was her face, completely clear, particularly her eyes, and she said to me very gently, very reassuringly: “Let it be.”

It was lovely. I woke up with a great feeling. It was really like she had visited me at this very difficult point in my life and gave me this message: Be gentle, don’t fight things, just try and go with the flow and it will all work out.

So, being a musician, I went right over to the piano and started writing a song: “When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me”… Mary was my mother’s name… “Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.” There will be an answer, let it be.” It didn’t take long. I wrote the main body of it in one go, and then the subsequent verses developed from there: “When all the broken-hearted people living in the world agree, there will be an answer, let it be.”

I thought it was special, so I played it to the guys and ’round a lot of people, and later it also became the title of the album, because it had so much value to me, and because it just seemed definitive, those three little syllables. Plus, when something happens like that, as if by magic, I think it has a resonance that other people notice too.

Not very long after the dream, I got together with Linda, which was the saving of me. And it was as if my mum had sent her, you could say.

The song is also one of the first things Linda and I ever did together musically. We went over to Abbey Road Studios one day, where the recording sessions were in place. I lived nearby and often used to just drop in when I knew an engineer would be there and do little bits on my own. And I just thought, “Oh it would be good to try harmony in mind, and although Linda wasn’t a professional singer, I’d heard her sing around the house, and knew she could hold a note and sing that high.

So she tried it, and it worked and it stayed on the record. You can hear it to this day.

These days, the song has become almost like a hymn. We sang it at Linda’s memorial service. And after September 11 the radio played it a lot, which made it the obvious choice for me to sing when I did the benefit concert in New York City. Even before September 11th, people used to lean out of cars and trucks and say, “Yo, Paul, let it be.”

So those words are really very special to me, because not only did my mum come to me in a dream and reassure me with them at a very difficult time in my life – and sure enough, things did get better after that – but also, in putting them into a song, and recording it with the Beatles, it became a comforting, healing statement for other people too.

– Paul McCartney

https://mattandjojang.wordpress.com/200 ... let-it-be/
Attachments
Beatles-Paul,Question.jpg
Beatles-Paul,Question.jpg (19.29 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:33 am

Seguin wrote:The Story Behind Paul McCartney’s Song: “Let It Be....”

Wow! What a story! I love the idea of just not resisting and letting go.
DukeCrockett93

Postby Rob on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:05 pm

Jimmie Nicol filled in for Ringo Starr when he had tonsillitis. For 10 days he traveled with The Beatles on tour throughout Australia. Here he is photographed after the tour, departing Melbourne Airport, on the cusp of returning back to his bland, normal life. [1964] 7 of 69Next page Read more at: https://tr.im/0g8Hj Read more at: https://tr.im/0g8Hj
This is it, Crockett, they've breached the North Wall, we gotta'...
Rob

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:15 am

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed or explored but what do you guys prefer: early Beatles, late Beatles or both?
DukeCrockett93

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:27 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:I'm not sure if this has already been discussed or explored but what do you guys prefer: early Beatles, late Beatles or both?

It may have been discussed some pages back, but what the heck? My favorite Beatles era spans between the albums, "A Hard Day's Night" and "Revolver". Not that they did not do great material before, or since those albums, but it was with "Hard Day's Night" that Beatle music took on a sort of sophistication. Prior to that, they were a very tight garage band looking for their own sound. By "Hard Day's Night", they had found it. And after "Revolver", it was pretty much John, Paul, and George acting as but sidemen to their own individual song efforts. My favorite album is a toss-up between the US/Capitol release of "Rubber Soul" and the UK/Parlourphone release of "Revolver". If a novice to Beatles music had to choose only two albums to get an understanding of their sound, these two albums would certainly fit the bill. In my opinion, anyway.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:50 am

NefariousNed wrote:
DukeCrockett93 wrote:I'm not sure if this has already been discussed or explored but what do you guys prefer: early Beatles, late Beatles or both?

It may have been discussed some pages back, but what the heck? My favorite Beatles era spans between the albums, "A Hard Day's Night" and "Revolver". Not that they did not do great material before, or since those albums, but it was with "Hard Day's Night" that Beatle music took on a sort of sophistication. Prior to that, they were a very tight garage band looking for their own sound. By "Hard Day's Night", they had found it. And after "Revolver", it was pretty much John, Paul, and George acting as but sidemen to their own individual song efforts. My favorite album is a toss-up between the US/Capitol release of "Rubber Soul" and the UK/Parlourphone release of "Revolver". If a novice to Beatles music had to choose only two albums to get an understanding of their sound, these two albums would certainly fit the bill. In my opinion, anyway.

I think "A Hard Day's Night" may be favourite, probably because it was the first album I was introduced to and it got me into their music. Of the two albums you mentioned, my favourite songs would probably be "In My Life", "Tomorrow Never Knows" [this one grew on me the more I listened to it despite not being too big on experimental sounds, it eventually got stuck in my head] and "Eleanor Rigby" [apparently George Martin was inspired by Bernard Hermann's use of violins in "Psycho" for this one].

I remember when the song "FourFiveSeconds" by Rihanna & Kanye West, which featured Paul McCartney, came out and a there was someone who made a comment on YouTube saying how good it was seeing Rihanna & Kanye West inviting "new and unknown" talents into their collaborative process. Little did that person know.
DukeCrockett93

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:19 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:
...I remember when the song "FourFiveSeconds" by Rihanna & Kanye West, which featured Paul McCartney, came out and a there was someone who made a comment on YouTube saying how good it was seeing Rihanna & Kanye West inviting "new and unknown" talents into their collaborative process. Little did that person know.

Could have been an old-timey Beatles fan being facetious. ;)
NefariousNed

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:21 am

NefariousNed wrote:
DukeCrockett93 wrote:
...I remember when the song "FourFiveSeconds" by Rihanna & Kanye West, which featured Paul McCartney, came out and a there was someone who made a comment on YouTube saying how good it was seeing Rihanna & Kanye West inviting "new and unknown" talents into their collaborative process. Little did that person know.

Could have been an old-timey Beatles fan being facetious. ;)

You never know. All I know is that Paul McCartney fella is going places.
DukeCrockett93

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:06 pm

It's amazing what got by the cartoon censors of the early 1960s. I was watching
this episode of the Beatles cartoon show where John Lennon says something
stupid and then ends up being chased by some mad scientist. As he is running,
he says:
Attachments
JohnScared.jpg
JohnScared.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
NefariousNed

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:47 am

I remember reading something similar about how people were surprised that the censors allowed the scene in "A Hard Day's Night" where Lennon
is snorting the top of a Coke bottle.
DukeCrockett93

Postby Seguin on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:24 am

NefariousNed wrote:

"A Hard Day´s Night" and "Help" are classic Beatles albums from the height of Beatlemania, although their later albums were more sophisticated. I don´t think I can pick a favorite album because i love them all, but "Beatles For Sale" is the album I play the least. If I have to single out some of their albums it´ll be "Rubber Soul", "Revolver, "Sgt. Pepper" and the "White Album". For me there´s so much nostalgia involved that I love a song like "She Loves You" just as much as, say, "Revolution".
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:20 am

When The Beatles gave two concerts in Copenhagen in 1964 (Ringo was ill, so Jimmie Nicol played the drums) four elephants had been dressed up to look like The Beatles and placed in the Tivoli Gardens. :D
Attachments
Beatles-ElephantsInTivoli,Copenhagen,1964.jpg
Beatles-ElephantsInTivoli,Copenhagen,1964.jpg (118.94 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Well, you definitely don't see that everyday!

I was recently listening to the instrumental for "And I Love Her" and couldn't help but wonder how much of an awesome James Bond theme it would make, especially towards the second half of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keSItU7DiGg
DukeCrockett93

Postby AlamoGill on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:42 pm

Something of interest to all Beatles fans from an article on our BBC Wales News website
today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-35980267

" Unseen Sir Paul and Linda McCartney Pictures Released "

A celebrity photographer from North Wales has released previously unseen pictures of
Sir Paul McCartney and his late wife Linda, Clive Arrowsmith, who was born in Mancot
and grew up in Mold Flintshire has unearthed the original photos from his loft in London.
Attachments
_89118156_be5e3a60-7cd9-4a43-8da1-3ad41002ac5b.jpg
_89118156_be5e3a60-7cd9-4a43-8da1-3ad41002ac5b.jpg (99.24 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
AlamoGill

Postby Seguin on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:54 am

Ringo in Copenhagen, 1976 (unedited version). At 7:00 Ringo takes a bicycle ride down the pedestrian
street and ends up on top of the Round Tower. Later we see him play billiards with the locals in a pub
in a working class neighborhood.

Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:12 pm

It's almost scary how Ringo hasn't changed much in some 40 years. Call him "Dorian Starr".
Attachments
RingoNow-Then.jpg
RingoNow-Then.jpg (21.96 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
NefariousNed

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:19 am

NefariousNed wrote:It's almost scary how Ringo hasn't changed much in some 40 years. Call him "Dorian Starr".

Well, The Beatles are timeless after all!
DukeCrockett93

Postby Seguin on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:47 am

NefariousNed wrote:It's almost scary how Ringo hasn't changed much in some 40 years. Call him "Dorian Starr".

Right! :D - I lived less than 100 yards from the pub where he played billiards. Had I known, I would´ve visited the pub asking for an autograph. :) The old guy he played billiards with lived about 30 yards from where I lived. He was known as "Black Karl" in the neighborhood. A close friend of my parents lived as a lodger in a room in Black Karl´s apartment. I´ve always known the story about Ringo playing billiards with Black Karl, but I never saw the footage till now, which i found a link to on a Beatles page on Facebook. I guess I must have missed the edited version when it was on TV back then. So, it was pretty cool for me to finally get to see the whole unedited version.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Wed May 11, 2016 12:48 am

Man Who Gave The Beatles Away made Citizen of Honour

Exclusive: Allan Williams and Fab Four's top aide Freda Kelly catch up on Town Hall balcony.

Written by Larry Neild. Tuesday, 10 May 2016 13:05

Two of the surviving key players in the birth of the Beatles had a nostalgic reunion last night
on the balcony of Liverpool Town Hall.

Allan Williams, the self proclaimed Man Who Gave The Beatles Away was at a ceremony to
receive one of the city’s top accolades: Liverpool Citizen of Honour.

The founder of the Jacaranda and the Blue Angel joins an elite group of people deemed to have
played a part in Liverpool’s growth and development.

Now a sprightly 86, Allan was the first ever manager of the Beatles in the early 1960s, way before
the foursome would “shake the world”.

Last night, on the same Town Hall verandah where John, George, Paul and Ringo looked down on
a sea of screaming fans in 1964, Allan swapped memories with Freda Kelly, 71, Brian Epstein and
the Beatles secretary and who, for 10 years, ran the official Beatles Fan Club.

For Allan, who now lives in a care home in the city, the accolade was an official salute to the key
role he played in the rise of the Beatles from Woolton boy band - some might say _ to Hamburg
rockers to global idols.

“It is not only the first honour I have received, it’s the only honour!” he quipped, wit as razor sharp
as the suit and tie he wore for the occasion.

“I’m still in shock,” he told Liverpool Confidential in an exclusive interview: “I don’t know why they
have given this to me, but I am very honoured and pleased.”

Nightclub owner Allan and the Beatles parted their ways in 1961 in a fall-out over some unpaid
commission. He was never exactly airbrushed out of Beatle history, yet his role cannot be
underestimated, delivering, as he did, a very different act back to Liverpool after the raucous days
and nights playing Hamburg.

That act caught the eye of Brian Epstein who took over as manager and sent them on the final push
to stardom.

But not without a warning from the Welsh, one-time opera singer: “Don’t touch them with a fucking
bargepole. They will let you down.”

Allan’s story of those early days was graphically described in his 1975 autobiography, The Man Who
Gave the Beatles Away, endorsed by John Lennon.

In the official citation, the city council said the honour was in recognition of his contribution to the
music industry in the city as the original manager of The Beatles.

“He secured their first bookings in 1960 and their tour of Hamburg in Germany. He played a crucial
role in establishing Beatles tourism in Liverpool – an industry now estimated to be worth £80 million
a year - by organising the first conventions devoted to the band in the 1970s.”

“Of course I remember those days, there was a lot of fun and excitement in the swinging sixties,” he
said.

“But we didn’t know we were creating history, that we were creating world history and the Beatles would
become world famous. That is still a complete shock to me.

“The fact the group is still at the top doesn’t surprise me, having known them for that long. They deserve
it and I can’t see anything topping them.

“Was I miffed at Brian Epstein coming in as their manager? No, not really. I was proud if anything. I more
or less did all the ground work for them.

“When Brian Epstein took over he didn’t discover them. They were going for years before he took over. So
I am really responsible for the most important years, their formative years.

“I don’t hear from Paul or Ringo, nothing at all. I don’t even know where they live.”

Allan says his own hell-raising days are over and now his only brew is a cup of tea: "I can't remember the last
pub I had a drink in," he chuckled ("You never could," was the playful retort from knowing wags within earshot).

He doesn't listen to the Fab Four either but when asked what was his favourite number, he replied "Fool On the
Hill", a title he wryly borrowed for his second autobiography in the 1990s.

“I’m labelled as the man who gave the Beatles away, but I didn’t give them away, they gave me away. Perhaps
I’ll have that engraved on my tomb!”

On hearing the Beatles industry is now worth £80m a year to Liverpool, Allan’s managerial skills went into
overdrive: “I wish I had 10 per cent of it, one per cent, even half a percent … anything.”

“I have many fond memories, going to places where they performed like the Grosvenor Ballroom. I was aware
of many groups in Liverpool, but I knew there was something special about the Beatles. But nobody in their
wildest dreams could have possibly imagined they would become the top group in the world. Nobody could have
forecast that.

“They used to come into my club, The Jacaranda, just to hang out and mess around, and one day they asked me
to be their manager. I thought, why not, it’s something I hadn’t done before.”

Asked if he thought there would ever be another ‘Beatles’, Allan replied “I doubt it and if there is I’m not going
to manage them.”

By Allan’s side last night were friends and family and Freda Kelly, a fan of the Beatles before she became part of
their inner circle at just 17 - one of the band’s true backroom boys.

It was a teenage Freda who was taken to the Cavern by a friend one lunchtime and who became immediately
hooked. She and another girl formed the Beatles fan club and Freda took over the sole responsibility when her
co-founder got a boyfriend and lost interest.

Freda was asked by Brian Epstein if she would like to come and work with him and be the Beatles’ secretary.

She reflected:"There weren’t many women in the music business in those days.

“You didn’t really realise how important it was. I look at it like being in the eye of storm."

Freda was last on the Liverpool Town Hall balcony in July, 1964 when the conquering heroes returned home for
the northern premiere of their first feature film, A Hard Day’s Night.

“When I came to the civic reception on the balcony at the town hall and I looked up Castle Street and heard the
noise and saw 200,000 people, that is when it hit me and how lucky I was.”

While every Beatlemaniac in the land may have envied the young Freda, for her working with the group was a
down to earth experience.

“What you saw was what you got with the Beatles, the were the same. The Cavern was the best place to see them,
particularly at the lunch time sessions," she said.

“As secretary I did everything: wages, contracts diary, just general work and looking after 40,000 fan club members.
It was a fabulous 10 years.”

Roll of honour:

Four others were made Citizens of Honour of Liverpool at the same ceremony, receiving their awards from Lord
Mayor Cllr Tony Conception.

They were Brian Lawless for 40 years of unpaid voluntary service for organisations including Vauxhall Neighbourhood
Council, Rice Lane Community Organisation, Rice Lane City Farm and Walton Advice Centre.

Kwong Ngan (aka Kenny Tam) – for more than 40 years representing the Chinese community, including the longest
standing chairman of the See Yep association and founding the Merseyside School of Tai Chi, the first of its kind in
the UK.

Roger O’Hara in recognition of his campaigning on social issues in the Granby/Toxteth area including chairman of
Toxteth Community Council and the Dingle Housing Regeneration Committee.

Dr Chris Wells for his medical work in the field of neurological pain relief and pioneering new techniques including as
Director of the Walton Centre and as President of The European Pain Federation.

Article with interesting photos, inc. one of the plaque he received:

http://www.liverpoolconfidential.co.uk/ ... -of-honour
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:32 pm

The Beatles "Get Back" mariachi style. I like how they even recreate little scenes from the original video.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:08 pm

Been listening to some Beatles live concert recordings remastered by Giles Martin at Abbey Road Studios. While it must've been an exciting
experience to say you saw The Beatles in concert, they did not put on a very exciting show. The entire concert was over in about 20 minutes,
including all the banter. Many songs were rushed, or abbreviated. Even the stage banter itself seemed awkward and boring. "Hi, how are you?"
"This next song we're gonna do is..." We'd like to carry on with..." blah blah blah.

One of the unwritten rules of a concert performance is to heighten the audience's expectation levels. Always keep them guessing. Launch into a
song and then wait for the roar of recognition. To announce the name of each and every song is a big let-down, like letting air out of a balloon.
A sort of, "Ho hum, we've been doing these songs over and over for months and can't you tell we're bored?" Every performance should seem fresh
like you're doing the song for the very first time. Of course, this didn't keep the multitudes from coming to scream and to experience the experience.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:17 am

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — John Lennon's killer will remain behind bars after being denied parole for the ninth time.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:08 am

Ringo Starr’s copy of The Beatles’ White Album is the most expensive record ever sold

Drummer's vinyl sold for more than double the previous record holder's price.

BY ALEX GALBRAITHON SEPTEMBER 01, 2016, 8:50PM.

As vinyl collecting continues to grow, records surrounding vinyl sales keep right on falling. We now have a new record for the most expensive
LP ever sold, and it has more than doubled the price fetched by the previous record holder.

The new most expensivest record (we need a 2 Chainz listening party ASAP) is Ringo Starr’s copy of The White Album. Copy number 0000001
of The Beatles’ classic album sold for a whopping $790,000 last year to a private bidder. Guinness World Records just confirmed that the sale
makes this particular piece of vinyl the most expensive record ever sold at auction.

The previous record-holder was an acetate of Elvis Presley’s first recording, a single that had “My Happiness” on Side A and “That’s When
Your Heartache Begins” on the reverse. Jack White (who else?) dropped a cool $300,000 on the collectible back in 2015.

Pharmadouche Martin Shrkeli’s $2 million purchase of Wu-Tang’s Once Upon a Time in Shaolin was not considered by Guinness because the
album was never before sold commercially.

According to Ringo, all the proceeds from the sale went to his Lotus Foundation, a charity established with the goal of “advancing social
welfare” across numerous causes like cancer research and substance abuse programs.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/09/r ... ever-sold/
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:10 pm

John died on my birthday
dec 9th, ill allways remember that day
whiterabbitt83

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:05 am

He did´nt die on Dec.9, but on Dec.8!
Attachments
JohnLennon.JPG
JohnLennon.JPG (54.68 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:03 am

"Well, here's another nice bed-in you've gotten me into!" :D
Attachments
Laurel&Hardy-Bed-In.jpg
Laurel&Hardy-Bed-In.jpg (29.76 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:42 am

A newer Youtube video of my Beatles Tribute song, "She Walks In Sad". This is an earlier take than the
one on my CD "Outside The Alamo" and sounds, I believe, closer to the Beatles sound than the official
release.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:52 am

John Lennon's Letter to Queen Elizabeth Unearthed in Used Record Sleeve

Signed draft of letter singer sent to return his MBE medal in 1969 valued at $72,000.

The draft of a letter John Lennon sent to Queen Elizabeth to return the award he received as a member of the Beatles was unearthed Wednesday at a Fab Four exhibition in Liverpool, CNN reports.

When John Lennon's 'Jesus' Controversy Turned Ugly
How an offhand remark led to protests, death threats and the end of the Beatles' touring career
In the letter, Lennon seriously and playfully mapped out why he was sending back his MBE (Member of the British Empire) medal. "I am returning this MBE in protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against Cold Turkey slipping down the charts," referring to the singer's 1969 single.

Lennon added his signature and credited the letter to "John Lennon of Bag," referring to his and wife Yoko Ono's "bagism" campaign.

The anonymous owner of the letter discovered it within the sleeve of a used record they bought for £10. At the Beatles Story exhibition Wednesday, a memorabilia expert put the value of the letter at roughly $72,000.

The letter is believed to be the first draft of the note Lennon ultimately sent to Queen Elizabeth; it's speculated that because the handwriting on the letter became smudged, Lennon instead sent a more pristine copy.

"You can quite clearly see that the signature in this letter has been smudged. My theory is that John Lennon never sent this draft because of the smeared ink," music memorabilia expert Darren Julien told CNN. "If you're writing to The Queen, you want the letter to look pretty perfect, you don't want the ink to be smudged. This suggests that he wrote a second version of the letter, which was the one that was actually sent to The Queen."

It's unclear whether the letter's owner has plans to sell his discovery.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ve-w447412
Attachments
Beatles-Lennon-QueenLetter.jpg
Beatles-Lennon-QueenLetter.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:47 am

An Amazon package arrived today. I bought "The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years - Special
Edition" (2-DVD).
More here:

https://www.amazon.com/Eight-Days-Week- ... ays+a+week

I also bought, "The Fifth Beatle - The Brian Epstein Story". It´s a hardcover graphic novel at 128 pages.
It´s gotten lots of praise and awards:

- Nr. 1 New York Times bestseller.

- Winner of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Award for Best Reality-Based Work (a very prestigious award!).

- Winner of two Harvey Awards inc. Best Original Graphic Album.

- Lamda Literary Award Finalist for Best LGBT Graphic Novel.

- Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Library and Archives Permanent Collection.

- American Library Association Great Graphic Novel for Teens.

- Winner of the National Cartoonist Society Reuben Award (also a very prestigious award!).

- Winner of Foreword Reviews´ 2013 IndieFab Award, Graphic Novel of the Year.

So, me being a comic book fan and a Beatles fan, I had to buy it even though I don´t like the style of the
drawings, nor the lettering style. Of course, the story is the most important thing. If a story is great you
can live with artwork you don´t like. I´m surprised it´s a bestseller and got all those awards, some of
them even prestigious awards, but maybe it´s The Beatles name that sells. I´m certainly looking forward
to reading it. You can get to read the first five pages at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Beatle-Bri ... fth+beatle
Attachments
FifthBeatle-11-2.jpg
FifthBeatle-11-2.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
FifthBeatle-9.jpg
FifthBeatle-9.jpg (78.07 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
FifthBeatle-4.jpg
FifthBeatle-4.jpg (73.2 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks, Hans.I hope the concert package is not just a rehash of what we have already seen and heard.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:29 am

NefariousNed wrote:Thanks, Hans.I hope the concert package is not just a rehash of what we have already seen and heard.

No doubt, we´ve already seen most of the old Beatles footage before, but the documentary also got some new stuff in it. Here´s what an Amazon reviewer, who gave it 5 stars, said:

The main draw is that here you've got a major Hollywood director's attempt to cut stock footage that, by and large, has already been seen elsewhere in several other doco versions of the Beatles and their lives, into a novel new look at who they were, what they did and what it was like to be them.
...this film is following several other distinguished documentaries on the subject, the amount of new footage that Ron Howard's production has dug up is crucial to its feeling of freshness and originality. For this one they did crowd sourcing and used the Internet to put the word out that they were looking for new snaps, home movies or anything that hadn't yet seen the light of day. They had some limited success with that. It does include, for example, some previously unseen super 8 footage shot by a woman at their last concert in 1966 in Candlestick Park in San Francisco. But welcome as that new footage is, there isn't enough new material to make this doco radically different from previous ones.
One area where this film does score is with the modern interviews with Paul and Ringo, obviously, but also with a variety of current day celebrities who were actual fans during their touring years. There's Sigourney Weaver, Whoopi Goldberg, Richard Curtis and Eddie Izzard. And there's also an interview with a woman who is now an African American professor, and for whom back in the mid sixties, the Beatles Florida concert was her first (temporarily racially desegregated) opportunity to sit alongside white people.
But essentially, unless you're a scholar of the Beatles, this film, even with some significant technical enhancements, some limited new material and added interviews, will look similar to other previous films. If you are a Beatles fan, either from back then or a new generational fan, then you'll love this as I do. But if you know nothing about the Beatles and were born millennially in, say, the last 20 years, then maybe not so much. Who knows? But for me, it's a solid 5 stars.

It´s a 2 hour documentary directed by Ron Howard, plus 1 hour 40 min. of bonus material on disc 2. I have´nt had time to watch the documentary yet, but it´s gotten great reviews by most reviewers and people who bought it

Another 5 star reviewer wrote:

No Beatles' fan should be without this dvd or a chance to see it if it is being shown in their area. Ron Howard's documentary is the best work he has EVER done and he takes viewers on a Magical Mystery Tour (oops - that's 1967) with the Beatles, covering their touring career from 1963 concerts in Europe to the American concerts from 1964 - 1966 with an excerpt of their concert in Japan in 1966.

Here´s Amazon´s product description:

IN 1962 FOUR YOUNG MEN JOHN LENNON, PAUL McCARTNEY, GEORGE HARRISON AND RINGO STARR CAME TOGETHER TO FORM THE 20TH CENTURY MUSICAL PHENOMENON KNOWN AS, “THE BEATLES.”

The band stormed Europe in 1963, and, in 1964, they conquered America. Their groundbreaking world tours changed global youth culture forever and, arguably, invented mass entertainment as we know it today. All the while, the group were composing and recording a series of extraordinarily successful singles and albums. However the relentless pressure of such unprecedented fame, that in 1966 became uncontrollable turmoil, led to the decision to stop touring. In the ensuing years The Beatles were then free to focus on a series of albums that changed the face of recorded music.

Master storyteller and Oscar winner, Ron Howard, explores this incredible journey in his own unique way: How did The Beatles do this? How did they cope with all the fame and pressure? How did they not only survive, but go on to revolutionize popular music? With original interviews, footage, staggering live performances, and the intimate study of character that Ron Howard is known for, he puts us right inside this extraordinary adventure, answering the question everyone always wants to know: What was it like to be there?!!

Featuring a wealth of specially created supplementary material totaling 100 minutes of extras, the deluxe home entertainment editions contain exclusively created featurettes for fans to delve even deeper into the band’s world. Accompanying these are stunning, fully restored full length performances of some of the band’s most iconic tracks including “Twist and Shout” and “She Loves You” recorded at the ABC Theatre, Manchester in 1963 and “Can’t Buy Me Love” at the NME Awards, 1964, in London, bringing the experience of seeing The Beatles in concert fully to life for all fans. A full breakdown is included below.

2-disc Deluxe Collector’s Edition (DVD/BD) includes:
1 x BD/DVD feature disc
+ 1 Bonus Disc (containing approx. 100 minutes of extras, highlighted below)
64 page booklet with an introduction from director Ron Howard, essay by music journalist and author
Jon Savage and rare photos from The Beatles’ private archive

Words & Music (24 mins)
John, Paul, George & Ringo reflect on songwriting and the influence of music from their parents’ generation, Lennon/McCartney writing for other artists, The Beatles as individual musicians, and the band as innovators. Also featuring Howard Goodall, Peter Asher, Simon Schama and Elvis Costello. The interviews with Paul and Ringo are unseen.

Early Clues To A New Direction (18 mins)
A special feature touching on The Beatles as a collective, the importance of humour, the impact of women on their early lives and songwriting, and the band as a musical movement. Featuring John, Paul, George & Ringo, along with Paul Greengrass, Stephen Stark, Peter Asher, Malcolm Gladwell, Sigourney Weaver, Whoopi Goldberg, Richard Curtis, Elvis Costello and Simon Schama. Again the interviews with Paul and Ringo are unseen.

Liverpool (11 mins)
The early days in Liverpool of the late 1950’s and early 1960’s are brought vividly to life by those who worked closely with them at that time including fan club secretary Freda Kelly, Allan Williams an early manager, and Leslie Woodhead multi-award winning documentary film director.

The Beatles in Concert (12 mins)
Five great but rarely seen full length performances of The Beatles live in concert - Twist and Shout, She Loves You, Can’t Buy Me Love, You Can’t Do That and Help!

Additional features are:
Three Beatles' Fans
Ronnie Spector and The Beatles
Shooting A Hard Day’s Night
The Beatles in Australia
Recollections of Shea Stadium
The Beatles in Japan
An alternative opening for the film
Attachments
Beatles-EightDaysAWeek.jpg
Beatles-EightDaysAWeek.jpg (183.73 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:41 pm

'Magic' Alex Mardas, Sham Technological
'Guru' to the Beatles, Dies at 74

Billboard January 13, 2017
john-lennon-paul-mccartney-magic-alex_011.jpg
john-lennon-paul-mccartney-magic-alex_011.jpg (15.47 KiB) Viewed 2248 times

Alexis Mardas, better known to Beatles fans as "Magic Alex," has died at age 74,
according to multiple news reports, including CNN Greece. He was reportedly
found dead in his apartment of natural causes. News IT reported he had been
dead several days before his body was found.

Mardas was probably one of the more infamous characters from the Beatles
universe. John Lennon was reportedly introduced to him by Brian Jones of The
Rolling Stones after Mardas created a psychedelic light box for them. He was
friendly with John Dunbar, who was a friend of Paul McCartney's and the husband
of Marianne Faithful before she was involved with Mick Jagger.

His strange electronic gadgets were embraced by all of the Beatles, but especially
Lennon, who dubbed him "Magic Alex." Some of his ideas had foresight, like the
phone that dialed by voice recognition and displayed the numbers of callers. But
then there were others, like the electronic brooches that made noise and flashed
in no particular order, the artificial sun using laser beams and the invisible curtain
that used ultrasonic vibrations to screen the Beatles from their fans.

"I invented a large number of electronic devices, none of which had anything to
do with music of the business of the Beatles," he said in a statement to The New
York Times in 2010. "It must be remembered that none of these had even been
thought about by others at the time, although most of them are now in common use,"
citing an electronic camera and a "memory phone" among them.

Lennon thought so much of him that, according to author Philip Norman, he
introduced him at a group meeting as "my new guru." His friendship with the band
was also demonstrated in the fact he went on several holidays with various members
of the group. When Mardas married in 1968, The Beatles attended his wedding. And
when The Beatles began Apple Corps, Mardas was hired to head Apple Electronics,
which author Tony Bramwell in his book Magical Mystery Tours: My Life With The
Beatles called "a waste of time and money." He was also chosen to design lighting
for The Beatles' newly opened Apple Boutique and reportedly tried to help them buy
a Greek island.

John Lennon had Mardas deliver a devastating message to his first wife Cynthia
Lennon when he was about to leave her for Yoko Ono. "I've come with a message
from John," quoted Philip Norman in his book John Lennon: A Life. "He is going
to divorce you, take Julian away from you and send you back to Hoylake," where
she grew up. The message caused Cynthia Lennon to lose her voice and be confined
to bed with a fever.

In 1969, Mardas was chosen to put together a 78-track recording studio for them at
Apple. But instead of the studio, The Beatles found only components from a German
manufacturer still in boxes. When Allen Klein took over as The Beatles' business
manager, Klein pushed Mardas out for good.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:53 pm

Blue Note Ringos Pay Tribute to Beatles’ Final Live Performance SA-Style
Nancy Cook-Monroe - Rivard Report - 9 hours ago

The Blue Note Ringos perform at Sanchos Cantina y Cocina on Saturday, Jan, 28, 2017.

“There was a plan to play live somewhere. We were wondering where we could go – ‘Oh, the Palladium or the Sahara.’
But we would have had to take all the stuff, so we decided, ‘Let’s get up on the roof.’ We had Mal and Neil set the
equipment up on the roof, and we did those tracks. I remember it was cold and windy and damp, but all the people
looking out from offices were really enjoying it.” – Ringo Starr, “Anthology”
BlueNoteRingos1-28-17.jpg
BlueNoteRingos1-28-17.jpg (73.96 KiB) Viewed 2168 times

Five rockers climbed circular metal steps to the roof and picked up their instruments: one sat at the drums, another
at a keyboard. Into a pure blue sky the repetitive beat of “Get Back” exploded and the lead singer chanted, “Jojo
was a man who thought he was a loner, but he knew it wouldn’t last. Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona for some
California grass.”

The drums drove the rocking rhythm. Overhead, a drone flitted from one corner of the roof to the other, shooting
pictures.

“Who is it?” the lead singer called, pointing up.

“The FBI,” a listener proclaimed.

“No, a Beatles fan!” someone else yelled.

As the drone moved closer, several waved their fingers in peace signs.

This obviously wasn’t 1969 London – Jan. 30 to be exact – when the Beatles performed their final live performance on
the roof of their recording studio. It was Jan. 29, 2017, on the rooftop of Sanchos Cantina y Cocina in San Antonio’s
Five Points neighborhood. Other than peeping drones and a few other advances nearly four decades have wrought, the
music and excitement of the rooftop concert held similar emotional power.

The Blue Note Ringos, a local Beatles tribute band, re-enacted the Beatles’ performance at Sanchos one year ago at the
suggestion of one of Sanchos’ owners, Sam Asvestas. This year it was even more crowded with fans who went listened,
drank beer in the sunshine, and grew increasingly chummy.

Listening front and center from a picnic table was a gent resembling “fifth Beatle” George Martin, the band’s genius
producer. This silver-haired fan was Jean Webb of Brownsville, there with daughter Michelle Corbeil.

Like many of the fans, he loved listening to the Beatles in the ’60s, when he was in his twenties, and discovered the Blue
Note Ringos at The Cove, just a half-block away. This consummate, ageless rocker actually had a career as a banker for
30 years.

“I came up with my daughter but I usually come up on my motorcycle,” he said.

Most of the other fans listened to the Beatles growing up, and probably a third were born after 1969.

“By the time I discovered the Beatles and asked my older brothers to take me to a concert, it was 1970 and they had broken
up,” Karen Miller said. “I was so disappointed. But 47 years later, I’m finally at a Beatles concert,” she said as she raised
her longneck.
Julian Arriaga and his mother Samantha Sanchez have been listening to the Beatles for as long as he can remember.

Julian Arriaga and his mother Samantha Sanchez have been listening to the Beatles for as long as he can remember.

Twelve year old Julian Arriaga, wearing a Beatles cartoon shirt, said he used to listen to the Beatles with his mother in the
car and liked their music. Taller fans blocked his view but he could recognize the sounds – “Norwegian Wood,” “Don’t Let Me
Down,” “Love Me Do,” and “All I Want is You.”

Amy Contreras, fresh back from the Women’s March last week in Washington and donning a signature pink hat, sang along to
“Let it Be” and “Revolution” alongside her 13-year-old son. She said her boyfriend had played the Beatles’ “Don’t Let Me Down”
before she underwent heart surgery recently.

“We got to sing it together today,” she said with a smile.

The band has played with different members for five years, said lead singer and guitarist Dee Lusk. The current lineup includes
Patrick Joseph on Fender Stratocaster, Val Cronk on Gretsch bass (the same kind Paul McCartney plays), drummer Jeff Pringle,
and D.G. Lara on keyboard, which Billy Preston played at the original rooftop concert.

Pringle drew a fan club of classmates from the MacArthur High School classes of ’79 through ’82.

“Jeff played snare drums in the marching band,” Terry Miller recalled. “Not cool. Not as cool as he is now.”

Sandy and Andy Mushinski visited with Scott Weitz, the guy with the drone. When confronted, he rushed to say he’s a friend of
the band. So not Big Brother. Groovy.

Cassie and Steve Lewis could have walked from their home in Beacon Hill. “It’s great to have such a cool concert so close to
home,” Cassie said.

As the diehard crowd cheered for more, the Ringos wrapped up with “Hey Jude.” The hypnotic chorus – “nah, nah, nah, NAH nah
nah nah” – was as authentic as the original version performed in London 38 years ago today, where surrounding streets filled with
listeners. No one wanted it to end then, and no one wanted it to end Sanchos on Saturday.

About Nancy Cook-Monroe
Nancy Cook-Monroe is a local freelance writer and Realtor. She has written about San Antonio arts and civic scenes since she could
hold a pencil.

NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:24 am

Cool! I never heard of Blue Note Ringos before.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Fri May 19, 2017 11:42 am

The first official Beatles radio channel started yesterday! There´s several videos on Youtube from the
premiere. Here´s two of them.

Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:49 pm

My brother John Huthmacher's review of the Paul McCartney concert in Omaha, Nebraska in today's Hastings Tribune.
Attachments
Paul1.jpg
Paul1.jpg (117.6 KiB) Viewed 863 times
Paul2.jpg
Paul2.jpg (148.81 KiB) Viewed 863 times
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:20 am

Great review - in parts! Nice Ned got a mention too.

- The review says the rainbow flag was "an awkwardly infused political statement that added nothing to the shows entertainment value". I guess that depends on one´s political standpoint! It´s obvious Paul McCartney thought it added value to the show. I don´t see nothing wrong in Paul McCartney using his fame to make a statement for gay rights. It´s just sad it has to be done (no, I´m not gay). Back when Paul McCartney had his band, Wings, he and his wife, Linda, wore t-shirts on stage with a statement against land mines. That was a political statement too in addition to a humanitarian one. Same thing with him using the rainbow flag now. It´s both a political and a humanitarian statement. I have a hunch the majority of Paul´s fans like to see him stand up for gay rights at his concerts or he would have caught lots of flack for it long ago.

The review also mention a "trashy video of a scantily-clad woman dancing on-stage during one of the newer releases that was both oddly out of place and considerately below the high standard of excellence set for the performance." Why is a video of a dancing "scantily-clad" woman "trashy" and "considerately below the high standard of excellence set for the performance"? We do live in 2017 and not in the 1950´s. I´m sure the majority of the people at the concert don´t agree with the reviewer, but he of course have the right to review the concert as he pleases. Other than that, a very nice review!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Previous

Return to Music Appreciation