Bob Dylan

Discussion & Appreciation Of All Things Music

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Bob Dylan

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:08 am

Rob wrote:So, did all you Dylan fans see his commercial during the Superbowl? It's absolutely amazing what make-up and the proper camera angles can do! I liked it becasue it was Dylan being Dylan...bucking the trend. In today's PC world of International coolness and One World ideology, Dylan goes non-PC and stereotypes Countries (very taboo these days). Let Germany brew your beer, let the Swiss make your watches...let the Japenese assemble your phones...but let America make your cars! I took it as kind of a pot-shot at Dylan fans who USED to drive cool cars back-in-the-day, and are driving Prius's now :o

Watch:

I saw it as one old American Icon saluting another.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 am

I saw it as one old American Icon saluting another.

You could say that. It´s nice of him to help Detroit getting back on its feet because he certainly does´nt need the money. I liked it.

As usual, some people did´nt like it:

Bob Dylan has appeared in a few commercials in the past decade—Victoria’s Secret, Cadillac—and his songs have appeared in many more. (Earlier in the night, a Chobani ad used his song “I Want You” to peddle yogurt.) Each time, people remark about how sad it is to see him shilling for big corporations. It is. The very act of selling things goes against so many of his sharpest, most acerbic lyrics. Hearing Dylan issue some pretty banal pronouncements about what it means to be American-made in this ad (from GlobalHue), and finally promising the audience, “We will build your car”—well, it may have been the most perfect, sad encapsulation of the commercial bloated-ness of the Super Bowl. Still, for this Dylan fan, there was something about seeing him in his late-career duds, shooting pool, and cackle-crooning the words “zoom” and “thrust” that made me want to forgive the whole thing. Almost.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... -half.html

Entertainment Weekly also called the Dyland commercial one of the worst:

Chrysler: “Things Have Changed,” indeed, if Bob Dylan is SELLING something!

Detroit Free Press Business:

With its three Super Bowl commercials, Chrysler once again logged a performance that will be talked about as inspirational and hotly debated.

The company — now called Fiat Chrysler Automobiles — aired a commercial for Maserati in the first quarter, Jeep during halftime and then enlisted legendary folksinger Bob Dylan to cap off its effort with an ad for the Chrysler brand with an argument for why Americans should buy American-built cars.

Ironically, the commercial comes less than two weeks since Italian automaker Fiat became the 100% owner of Chrysler — a fact likely to generate lots of debate when the merit of the ad is discussed in days to come.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140202/B ... er-GM-Ford

The Huffington Post:

Dylan, of course, has been hawking products and singing on behalf of major companies for several years, so it's not as if his Super Bowl ad on behalf of Chrysler was by itself an aberration. But for Dylan to go from a leading voice of the civil rights movement to celebrating sweatshop labor takes corporate crooning to a new level. His pitch came as part of a paeon to the domestic auto industry.

- And the rest of the article is about Asian sweatshops making our phones which is what this quote hints at (Funny expression, "Corporate crooning").
Full article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/0 ... 14874.html

Variety:

Chrysler: “We will build your car” is a powerful message, but A) this looked exactly like the Clint Eastwood spot and B) Bob Dylan strikes me as a rather awkward spokesman to deliver it. Too many people will find themselves thinking, like I did, less about the loving imagery than, “Wow, why would Dylan do this?”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/columns/supe ... 201083337/

CNN:

Bob Dylan Super Bowl commercial draws cries of 'sellout'.

Oh Bob Dylan, how can the life of such a man be in the palm of some advertiser's hand?

Be sure to sing that first line to the tune of Dylan's classic song "Hurricane" and you'll get why it fits. The musical icon stirred a bit of a ruckus on social media Sunday night after he appeared in a Super Bowl commercial for Chrysler while another, for Chobani yogurt, featured his music.

The term of choice: "sellout."

"I'm sorry. Young Bob Dylan would vomit in the mouth of old Bob Dylan for making car commercials, especially jingoistic ones," said one Twitter user. The Chrysler ad included Dylan asking, "Is there anything more American than America?"

Another tweeted "That Bob Dylan, Chrysler commercial was disappointing and sad on so many levels. Proof that there are very few not willing to sell out."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/03/showb ... ommercial/
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:46 am

"But, like Louise always says..."
Attachments
PeddlerAndCountess.jpg
PeddlerAndCountess.jpg (79.09 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:05 am

NefariousNed wrote:"But, like Louise always says..."

Let them eat cake! :o :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:51 am

Davy wrote:

Davy

"...You can't look at much, can you man?" as she herself prepares for him.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:11 am

Right, Dylan´s famous song, "Visions of Johanna"!

I see you´re in it too :D :

He's sure got a lotta gall
To be so useless and all
Muttering small talk at the wall
While I'm in the hall
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:12 am

You talking about Davy?
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:42 am

Davy wrote:

Davy

Then I´ll have to change the lyrics a bit :D :

Let them eat cake since
They´re so hungry and all
Eating small cakes by the wall
While I'm in the hall
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:42 am

NefariousNed wrote:You talking about Davy?

But he didnt write the letter: You said yourself that iffen he was to write us letter dims the very words he'd use! :roll:
:lol: some reason Hans' lyrics made me think of that??? duhhhh! Well it is Saturday night! :lol:
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:27 am

Dylan going on Stateside tour starting in October. Bypassing Texas. Bah!
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu May 07, 2015 7:25 am

Off to the Bob Dylan concert at the Majestic Theater in San Antonio tonight! The show starts at 8:00 PM.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Thu May 07, 2015 7:53 am

That´s great! I would like to see Dylan myself some time.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Rob on Thu May 07, 2015 10:59 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Off to the Bob Dylan concert at the Majestic Theater in San Antonio tonight! The show starts at 8:00 PM.

Cool! Dylan Tour T-Shirts for Christmas?? :D (I'm a Large) ;) Have a Blast!!!
This is it, Crockett, they've breached the North Wall, we gotta'...
Rob

Postby NefariousNed on Fri May 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Tee-shirts were $40, Rob. I don't like you that much!
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri May 08, 2015 7:27 pm

The Majestic Theater on Houston Street in San Antonio is a beautiful, ornate venue. Built in 1929 in a Spanish Mediterranean style, it has
opera boxes with facades that look like the skyline of a Mediterranean city. The ceiling brags a blue sky with stars and clouds that actually
drift by if you watch them long enough. Gorgeous place and wonderful opportunity for the camera buff. Not at the Dylan concert, however.
While the theater management itself does not discourage photography, read on to see why this is going to be the shortest photo essay I've
ever done on an event...

At 7:00 PM, as the crowd began milling at the doors of the theater to get in, a theater employee warned/advised everyone that there was to
be no photography anywhere in the building whatsoever. Any phones or cameras seen out during the performance would get one warning, then
the person would be ejected from the theater with no refund. The crowd took it seriously and there were no incidents. Just as well, as, when
the band finally took to the stage, the lighting was so poor (mostly backlit) that those onstage looked like silhouettes. You could tell which one
was Dylan only because of that hat he wears now. Why no spotlight on Bob?!

As for my seat, it was great. Front row center, balcony. Actually, in the Majestic, you can not get a bad seat. But, if they'd had lights on and we
had been allowed to take photos, I would've gotten some good ones from there. When I asked a kindly usher why the photo policy, he replied that
the theater doesn't mind, it was rather Dylan's request. The usher added that if I'd wanted to get my souvenir tour book signed to just be one of
the first 15, or so at the side entrance where the tour busses parked. More on that later...

Dylan did 12 songs the first half. The band really cooked and Dylan's voice was in good form. (He used the "Time Out Of Mind" voice.) He never
once strapped on the guitar.
He either just stood there like a Vegas crooner, playing harmonica on about 3 songs in all, or sat at the piano.

The opening song was "Things Have Changed". The second song was supposed to be "She Belongs To Me" (She's got everything she needs, she's
an artist, she don't look back) but Dylan had altered it so much that it was halfway thru before anyone recognized it. Songs 3 thru 9 were other
songs from the 2000's, that I was not that familiar with. #10 was a really slowed down version of "Tangled Up In Blue" in which Dylan changed most
of the lyrics. # 12 was a rather good version of "Love Sick".

Second half opened with a Frank Sinatra ballad that Dylan should've left to Frank. Second song was an unrecognizable version of "Simple Twist Of
Fate" where again, he changed the lyrics. Songs 3 thru 10, I wasn't familar with. Seemed Dylan was concentrating on his song-bag from the New
Millennium, while forsaking his hits from the 1960's and 1970's that most of the people in the theater had come to hear. People were really getting
antsy, calling out their requests for the old tunes in vain. Some people in their exasperation began walking out early. Band then left the stage.
Song 11, the first encore, was an unrecognizable version of "Blowing In The Wind". Different tune, different tempo, everything. People did not
even know what he was singing until he said the words, "Blowin' In The Wind". Second encore was another slow Sinatra song ", Autumn Leaves".
Exit. What an incredible let-down. 24 songs performed and I knew 5 by name only. And there was not an exciting moment in the show. Not a one.

To make matters worse, Dylan had no rapport with the audience whatsoever. The only time he spoke was at the close of the first half when he said,
"We'll be back later." And he didn't even take the time to introduce the members of the band! Unforgivable and inexcusable.

During the last song, I rushed out the side door as the usher had instructed. About a dozen of us were there waiting for Dylan to come out for
autographs. The theater staff blocked the way, the band and Dylan hurried onto the bus and were gone. Not even a photo op. Can you believe this?

Took some photos of the roadies loading up the truck, then headed back to Alamo Plaza.
NefariousNed

Postby Rob on Fri May 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Sorry to hear that Ned :( Sounds dreadful! I've always felt that performers who have basically performed FOREVER owe one of two things to their audience. One: Be engaging, entertaining! Good stage prescence OR constant intermingling with the fans. -or- Two: Be technically "very good" at performing renditions of the songs the audience paid to hear. Unfortunately, it sounds like Dylan failed on both fronts! And not sticking around to at least sign 8 or 10 autographs is just twisting the knife. :x
This is it, Crockett, they've breached the North Wall, we gotta'...
Rob

Postby Seguin on Sat May 09, 2015 4:12 am

I´m shocked! :shock: I doubt Dylan knows what the word entertainer means. Maybe it´s time for him to retire. Who wants to pay good money for such a concert? It´s ridiculous standing in the dark and not talking to the audience nor presenting the musicians. No autographs either and the songs you love being changed so much you can hardly recognize them. He can´t even play the guitar anymore and a Sinatra-like crooner he´s not although he tries to be. What a sad ending for an icon like Dylan.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sat May 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Dylan's lack of connection with the audience aside, the thing that bugged me the most was the fact that, due to his crippling arthritis in his fingers, he can no longer play the guitar. For a performer who started his career with just an acoustic guitar and harmonica, not seeing Dylan with one just didn't seem right. There was this young couple (maybe in their mid-twenties) sitting next to me who had gone to the last Dylan concert I'd seen in New Braunfels and he'd put on a pretty good show there with acoustic guitar, electric guitar, organ, piano and harmonica. Now here he was just standing like a crooner, holding a mic. The feel was gone. He was no longer the performer he once was. Perhaps unaware of Dylan's crippling arthritis, the couple said they wished he'd come out on stage during the second half with just his acoustic guitar and do the old songs. When he didn't, they walked out. They had come to see the mythological Dylan they'd heard about as children; the lone troubadour. And he no longer existed.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sun May 10, 2015 2:27 am

Aside from the guitar, if only he would sing the good old songs unaltered as we know them. As it is, there´s too many downsides:

1. Performing almost in the dark so that you can´t see him, only his silhouette.

2. No connection with the audience at all.

3. He no longer plays the guitar.

4. He sings his old songs altered beyond recognition.

5. The $20 souvenir tour book consists of old photos and old interviews only.

6. He don´t give out any autographs at all after the concerts.

7. ?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sun May 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Another strange thing is/was that Dylan never advertizes once he is in a city. By that time, people who are going to his concert already
have tickets, so he sees no need. I had checked the front of the Majestic Theater for a poster in the window card displays, but, while
there were ones for other artists performing this month, his name did not appear. Ditto for the list of artists and attractions listed for
the month at the theater. There was a listing before the day he performed and one for the day after he performed, but none for the day
he performed. The only time his name appeared anywhere in advertizement at the theater was on the marquee the day of the concert.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Mon May 11, 2015 2:51 am

It´s strange his name was´nt on the poster since I gather the venue pays for it.

Another strange thing is/was that Dylan never advertizes once he is in a city. By that time, people who are going to his concert already
have tickets, so he sees no need.

Since his concerts are usually sold out, it does´nt make much sense advertising a sold out concert, except for promotion purposes which he apparently don´t need.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Mon May 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Sorry it wasn't a good show Ned....I guess he's getting old and needs the money. Anyway, I saw him at the CenturyTel Arena in Shreveport back in the late 90's and he put on a good show. He talked and went all around the stage. The lighting was good, but I couldn't understand a word he sang :roll:
It was a good time ( I think?)
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Mon May 11, 2015 5:07 pm

You know, I was just thinking how things have not really changed that much over Dylan's career. Back in 1965 when he strapped on the electric guitar, did all new "bizarre" songs and then refused to play any of the old songs because "that's not where he was at" at the moment, the audiences hated him. So Dylan's been used to that. Always managed to attract a new audience though.
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Tue May 12, 2015 12:32 am

NefariousNed wrote:You know, I was just thinking how things have not really changed that much over Dylan's career. Back in 1965 when he strapped on the electric guitar, did all new "bizarre" songs and then refused to play any of the old songs because "that's not where he was at" at the moment, the audiences hated him. So Dylan's been used to that. Always managed to attract a new audience though.

He's the Ernest T Bass of Rock/Folk - :lol:
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:50 pm

Dylan does "Dixie".
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Very Good Ned!........ tough times for all folks. Thanks. Chris...
cc nolen

Postby Seguin on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:31 am

It´s from the soundtrack of a 2003 movie called "Masked And Anonymous" in which Dylan also had a part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masked_and_Anonymous
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Thu May 05, 2016 11:12 pm

ned, chris
give Bob Dylan credit
for trying to change up his act
he started up doing folk music
then he went rock & roll
he went country at one point
in his career, tryed christian music
then did greatest hits,on the oldies tours
he has done it all, unless i am missing something
he is still going out there trying to make music
whiterabbitt83

Postby NefariousNed on Fri May 06, 2016 1:10 am

whiterabbitt83 wrote:he is still going out there trying to make music

Trying is true, Rabbit.

But he has lost touch with his core audience. At this late stage in the game, I doubt Bob is going to gain a fresh, new audience.
Even the young people at the last concert I went to wanted to hear the old hits. It's okay adding a few of the newer songs to the
mix, but to completely ignore an audience that has paid good money to be entertained is inexcusable.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

Dylan turns 75 today!

NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:47 pm

While Dylan at 75 is still out there singing and performing, he could've just rested on his laurels as a songwriter.
Arguably the most influential writer of the 1960s, here a list of just some of the people who did cover versions of
Dylan's works. Most of the below songs charted.

Blowing In The Wind - PETER PAUL & MARY
It Ain't Me, Babe - THE TURTLES
Mr. Tambourine Man - THE BYRDS
Chimes Of Freedom - THE BYRDS
All I Really Want To Do - SONNY & CHER
Tomorrow Is A Long Time - IAN & SYLVIA
The Mighty Quinn - MANFRED MANN
I Shall Be Released - THE BAND
Love Is Just A Four Letter Word - JOAN BAEZ
Too Much Of Nothing -PETER PAUL & MARY
Ring Them Bells - GORDON LIGHTFOOT
If Not For You - GEORGE HARRISON
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - JOHNNY CASH
Percy's Song - FAIRPORT CONVENTION
Just Like A Woman - RITCHIE HAVENS
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere - THE BYRDS
All Along The Watchtower - JIMI HENDRIX
To Ramona - THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS
My Back Pages - THE BYRDS
Too Much Of Nothing - PETER PAUL & MARY
This Wheel's On Fire - THE BAND
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues - JUDY COLLINS
Simple Twist Of Fate - JOAN BAEZ
Most Likely You'll Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine - TODD RUNDGREN
Sign On The Window -MELANIE SAFKA
If You Gotta Go, Go Now - FAIRPORT CONVENTION
I'll Keep It With Mine - MARIANNE FAITHFULL
When The Ship Comes In - ARLO GUTHRIE
She Belongs To Me - RICK NELSON
Positively 4th Street - JOHNNY RIVERS
Like A Rolling Stone - THE ROLLING STONES
Baby You've Been On My Mind - LINDA RONSTADT
Tomorrow Is A Long Time - ROD STEWART
Forever Young - ROD STEWART
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:14 am

Here's a really nice cover version of a Dylan nugget from the 1980s.

"No Time To Think"

In death, you face life with a child and a wife
Who sleep-walks through your dreams into walls.
You're a soldier of mercy, you're cold and you curse,
"He who cannot be trusted must fall."

Loneliness, tenderness, high society, notoriety.
You fight for the throne and you travel alone
Unknown as you slowly sink
And there's no time to think.

In the Federal City you been blown and shown pity,
In secret, for pieces of change.
The empress attracts you but oppression distracts you
And it makes you feel violent and strange.

Memory, ecstasy, tyranny, hypocrisy
Betrayed by a kiss on a cool night of bliss
In the valley of the missing link
And you have no time to think.

Judges will haunt you, the country priestess will want you
Her worst is better than best.
I've seen all these decoys through a set of deep turquoise eyes
And I feel so depressed.

China doll, alcohol, duality, mortality.
Mercury rules you and destiny fools you
Like the plague, with a dangerous wink

Your conscience betrayed you when some tyrant waylaid you
Where the lion lies down with the lamb.
I'd have paid off the traitor and killed him much later
But that's just the way that I am.

Paradise, sacrifice, mortality, reality.
But the magician is quicker and his game
Is much thicker than blood and blacker than ink

Anger and jealousy's all that he sells us,
He's content when you're under his thumb.
Madmen oppose him, but your kindness throws him
To survive it you play deaf and dumb.

Equality, liberty, humility, simplicity.
You glance through the mirror and there's eyes staring clear
At the back of your head as you drink

Warlords of sorrow and queens of tomorrow
Will offer their heads for a prayer.
You can't find no salvation, you have no expectations
Anytime, anyplace, anywhere.

Mercury, gravity, nobility, humility.
You know you can't keep her and the water gets deeper
That is leading you onto the brink
But there's no time to think.

You've murdered your vanity, buried your sanity
For pleasure you must now resist.
Lovers obey you but they cannot sway you
They're not even sure you exist.

Socialism, hypnotism, patriotism, materialism.
Fools making laws for the breaking of jaws
And the sound of the keys as they clink
But there's no time to think.

The bridge that you travel on goes to the Babylon girl
With the rose in her hair.
Starlight in the East and you're finally released
You're stranded but with nothing to share.

Loyalty, unity, epitome, rigidity.
You turn around for one real last glimpse of Camille
'Neath the moon shinin' bloody and pink

Bullets can harm you and death can disarm you
But no, you will not be deceived.
Stripped of all virtue as you crawl through the dirt,
You can give but you cannot receive.

No time to choose when the truth must die,
No time to lose or say goodbye,
No time to prepare for the victim that's there,
No time to suffer or blink
And no time to think.

Songwriters
BOB DYLAN

Published by
Lyrics © SPECIAL RIDER MUSIC
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Dylan mural I saw in an alley on the University of Texas at Austin campus
last evening.
Attachments
DylanMuralAustinTX.jpg
DylanMuralAustinTX.jpg (65.15 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:57 am

NefariousNed wrote:Dylan mural I saw in an alley on the University of Texas at Austin campus
last evening.

Very nice mural, but I´m not sure Andy Anderson would agree with the text. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:38 am

MojoMagazineCover.jpg
MojoMagazineCover.jpg (114.38 KiB) Viewed 3395 times

BlondedOnBlondeMojoCoverAlbumCover.jpg
BlondedOnBlondeMojoCoverAlbumCover.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

BlondedOnBlondeMojoCoveBackAlbumCover.jpg
BlondedOnBlondeMojoCoveBackAlbumCover.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 3386 times

While in California this past July, I spied this Mojo Magazine in the local Barnes & Noble and just had to get it. The
issue is a salute to Bob Dylan and the 50th anniversary of the release of his landmark album "Blonde On Blonde". What
really clinched me getting the magazine though was that it came with a free CD of cover versions of the album's songs
by different artists. Here's a short review of the album.

RAINY DAY WOMEN # 12 & 35---Malcolm Middleton Dylan's opener for the album, "Rainy Day Women", is a sort of
upbeat, Honky Tonk number where Dylan and the band are clearly having a good time. Malcolm Middleton, on the other
hand, has turned it into a distorted space age dirge with Middleton droning out the lyrics in monotone. Hardly the way
to draw the listening audience in. I was almost afraid to continue listening to the album.

PLEDGING MY TIME---My Darling Clementine This group allayed my fears by changing a rather dragged out Blues
throw-away by Dylan into a Mountain Music Melody that would've fit right onto the soundtrack of "Oh Brother, Where Art
Thou?" like a glove. Like it!

VISIONS OF JOHANNA---Steve Gunn A faithful rendition of the album version which still manages to stands on its own.

ONE OF US MUST KNOW (SOONER OR LATER)---Chip Taylor A rather heartfelt, almost spoken word rendition of the song.

I WANT YOU--- Phosphoerscent Another one that remains faithful to the album version. (Perhaps a bit more laid back.)

STUCK INSIDE OF MOBILE WITH THE MEMPHIS BLUES AGAIN---Promised Land Sound A sort of clankety, electronic sounds
version that kind of speeds up the tempo.

LEOPARDSKIN PILLBOX HAT---Michael Chapman Nice, Bluesy, acoustic version. Different!

JUST LIKE A WOMAN---Peter Bruntnell Simple, subdued version that still manages to get the job done.

MOST LIKELY YOU'LL GO YOUR WAY AND I'LL GO MINE---Thomas Cohen Grungy-sounding cover, otherwise faithful to the source material.

TEMPORARILY LIKE ACHILLES---Kevin Morby Perhaps the most Dylan-sounding cover on the album, done acoustic.

ABSOLUTELY SWEET MARIE---Marissa Nadler While Dylan sings/performs this one as almost an anthem, Nadler does it mournfully, and
you can almost feel her sadness. A different take that almost makes it a different song, with a different mood. But I think Bob would approve.
After all, in concert, he's been reworking/reinventing his own songs over the years almost beyond recognition.

FOURTH TIME AROUND---Ryley Walker A sort of rambling version where the artist almost seems to forget the tune at times.

OBVIOUSLY FIVE BELIEVERS---Night Beats Really rollicking, Bluesy cover. Tears it up!

SAD-EYED LADY OF THE LOWLANDS---Jim O'Rourke An almost whispered, simple, stripped down version 14 minutes long that's
kind of hard to listen through to the end. (But then, in all fairness, so is the Dylan version.)
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Don't think twice, it's all right: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Lit
BY KARL RITTER,Associated Press 10 minutes ago

STOCKHOLM (AP) — Singer-songwriter Bob Dylan won the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday, a stunning
announcement that for the first time bestowed the prestigious award on a musician for "having created new
poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

Reporters and others who gathered at the Swedish Academy's headquarters in Stockholm's Old Town reacted with
a loud cheer as his name was read out.

Dylan, 75, is arguably the most iconic poet-musician of his generation. Songs such as "Blowin' in the Wind" and
"The Times They Are A-Changin'" became anthems for the U.S. anti-war and civil rights movements of the 1960s.

Dylan's impact on popular culture was immense and his influence as a lyricist extends to every major music figure
and songwriter of the last 50 years, from the Beatles to Bruce Springsteen and beyond.

But although he had been mentioned in Nobel speculation for years, many experts had ruled him out, thinking the
academy wouldn't extend its more than a century-old award to the world of music.

They were wrong. The academy's permanent secretary, Sara Danius, said while Dylan performs his poetry in the
form of songs, that's no different from the ancient Greeks, whose works were often performed to music.

"Bob Dylan writes poetry for the ear," she said. "But it's perfectly fine to read his works as poetry."

Dylan is the first American winner of the Nobel literature prize since Toni Morrison won in 1993.

Danius told The Associated Press that a "great majority" on the 18-member Nobel panel voted for Dylan. She
said her personal favorites among Dylan's songs include "Chimes of Freedom" and "Visions of Johanna."

Lyrics from scores of Dylan songs, such as "Blowin' in the Wind," ''Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues
Again," ''My Back Pages" and "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)," have worked their way into the public lexicon
over the years, becoming repeated over and over, much in the manner of lines from Shakespearean plays.

Born on May 24, 1941, in Duluth, Minnesota, Dylan grew up in a Jewish middle-class family.

By his early 20s, he had taken the folk music world by storm. From that time on, he would constantly reinvent
himself — often enraging followers in the process — but then later winning them back and adding new admirers.
His career was such a complicated pastiche of elusive, ever-changing styles that it took six actors to portray him
in the 2007 movie based on his life, "I'm Not There."

Although generally described as a rock musician, Dylan has been influenced by numerous musical styles, including
country, gospel, blues, folk, pop, and rhythm and blues. Pursuing them all, sometimes separately and other times
simultaneously, he remains a towering influence over music and popular culture.

He won an Academy Award in 2001 for the song "Things Have Changed" and received a lifetime achievement
award from the Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences in 1991. In 2008, he was awarded a Pulitzer Prize for
his contributions to music and American culture.

Dylan is the most unorthodox Nobel literature prize winner since 1997, when the award went to Italian playwright
Dario Fo, whose works some say also need to be performed to be fully appreciated. By a sad coincidence, Fo died
Thursday at age 90.

The literature award was the last of this year's Nobel Prizes to be announced. The six awards will be handed out
on Dec. 10, the anniversary of prize founder Alfred Nobel's death in 1896.

___

Associated Press writer Keith Moore in Stockholm contributed to this report.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bob-dylan-wi ... 21880.html
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 pm

San Antonio Express News, Monday, November13, 2017
Attachments
DylanExpressNews11-13-17.jpg
DylanExpressNews11-13-17.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 216 times
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:18 am

Some price! I´ll bet even his old worn out shoes would fetch a nice price. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Previous

Return to Music Appreciation