Re: LT Blake

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Sun May 10, 2015 11:46 pm

i checked the cast credits there is no LT blake listed
i just checked mustangs book and he is not listed
and he has a speaking part
whiterabbitt83

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 11, 2015 12:54 am

Good question. I don't know. I'll cue John to this and see if he has an answer.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Mon May 11, 2015 1:52 am

I believe that is correct in that he only appears in one scene but I'd have to look at it again. As for his name, Lt. Blake does not appear in the credits or any other list of character's names I have ever seen. But, having said that, there are a ton of names listed as a "Travis man," so it's possible he is one of those on the list. As I said in my book, I'll always welcome addition information. And, usually, unless I have two or more sources, I question EVERYTHING! That's my anality showing through. :lol: :lol:
MUSTANG

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Mon May 11, 2015 2:12 am

watch the beginning of the movie
bowies men arive at the alamo
travis does the flag raising
then tells LT BLAKE to show bowies men to there quarters
lt blake : U MEN FOLLOW ME
whiterabbitt83

Postby MUSTANG on Mon May 11, 2015 2:32 am

I agree that his name is mentioned. I just indicated it wasn't specifically listed in cast and crew.
MUSTANG

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Mon May 11, 2015 3:57 am

do they show him dieing
whiterabbitt83

Postby MUSTANG on Mon May 11, 2015 4:56 am

Not that I am aware but, as I said, I'd have to take another look at it. Of course, I can't pass up any opportunity to watch the film again. :D
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 11, 2015 5:34 am

Nowadays, with Screen Actors Guild having developed such a tight doctrine of operation, you are absolutely right Whiterabbit. If he spoke one word in the movie, he would have to be given screen credit in the end scroll, and paid union scale. Things were a lot looser in 1959. My guess is Duke just "gave him a plum," as John Ford used to do. Possibly told him, I'll give you a speaking line, but no credit. Just my guess.

Remember too (or perhaps you don't even know) that movies didn't have end scrolls with every single person who got paid a nickel being given credit. That all started in the seventies. The ONLY credits in a movie were the opening credits for the key creators of the movie and the main stars and costars. Sometimes a movie might have a cast of characters at the very end, but no rules to say who and who not. There were none on The Alamo.

That said, with a movie from 56 years ago, no formal listing "on the internet" ever existed. But good catch, although, if John hasn't thus far found out, it is unlikely that it is findable outable. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Mon May 11, 2015 2:52 pm

RLC-GTT have u seen him in any other movies
There are enough Alamo people here, that
someone will remember him, and has seen him in a movie
LT Blake will be found
whiterabbitt83

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Have not. And, after the way he delivered his line, I can understand why.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Mon May 11, 2015 6:24 pm

whiterabbitt83 wrote:do they show him dieing

Seems to me that the first time he tried to bend over with that huge belt buckle would've been the end of him!
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Mon May 11, 2015 6:36 pm

NefariousNed wrote:
whiterabbitt83 wrote:do they show him dieing

Seems to me that the first time he tried to bend over with that huge belt buckle would've been the end of him!

lol lol i am dieing laughing ned, i fell out of my chair busting a gut
that is funnyest thing u ever wrote, u just beat our Davy for comedy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ned u are going to give me a hernia with your humor, u are so funny, u put Davy's humor to shame with that funny line lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
whiterabbitt83

Postby 105ECB on Tue May 12, 2015 1:05 am

The name of the actor that played Lt. Finn was Mickey Finn. I can't find much information about him. I do remember Mickey Finn in several TV shows including "The Rifleman".

Marty
105ECB

Postby cc nolen on Tue May 12, 2015 8:52 am

Lt Finn was played by G. "Big Boy" Williams. He died not too long after the Alamo was filmed. :(
cc nolen

Postby 105ECB on Tue May 12, 2015 11:50 am

Sorry, my fingers tripped over my keyboard. LT. Blake was played by Mickey Finn.
105ECB

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:55 am

It's amazing that Lt. Blake has his own subject category. I've been looking through the 73 pages of Behind the Scenes Photos, and noticed Lt. Blake (identified by 105ECB as Mickey Finn) in a photo in that section's page 62, where he is in costume and sitting next to Frankie Avalon, also in costume. I think Avalon is wearing Smitty's (sp) fringe shirt. I was wondering why those two happened to be sitting next to one another while in costume. Coincidentally, while watching "The Alamo" today, I thought I might have seen those two in the same scene. At night, after most of the Tennesseans have passed out, and Crockett is sitting with Bowie outside the CANTINA, Smitty is shown inside getting Davy's buckskin jacket. He stops to grab a jug off a table where a Tennessean is sleeping with his head down and turned away from the camera. We can't see his face. He's wearing the same colored buckskins as Lt. Blake and is wearing a very wide belt with the same kind of silver studs along its top and the bottom. Smitty is not wearing the same shirt as in that picture, but could that be Lt. Blake AWOL and sleeping head down on the table?
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Now, that's a good eye! Same belt, even has the strap for his possibles bag.
MUSTANG

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:57 pm

mustang
when i started the thread on LT Blake
i had no idea it would take on a life
of it's own lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
whiterabbitt83

Postby alamocentral on Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:52 pm

In re Mickey Finn, he appears and receives credit in Anthony Mann's 1957 Western, The Tin Star.
AlamoCentral
alamocentral

Postby Don on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm probably wrong, but I do believe Lt. Blake also rode in with Bowie's men in the scene previous to the one where Travis asks him to see to
the quartering of Bowie's volunteers. It looks like him in the picture below, to me. You can also see him just prior to the volunteers stopping
in front of the Church but I don't have a very clear screen capture of that. Maybe someone else like Ned does and he can confirm or shoot down
my thoughts on this.

Don

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:39 pm

By golly, I think you're right about Lt. Blake riding into the Alamo as one of Bowie's men. You can see him clearly from the back as Bowie's group rides into the frame, about 2 or 3 horses behind Bowie. and there he is still mounted in that screen capture of yours, just before the flag ceremony. The next thing you know, he's afoot and being ordered by Dickenson to see to the quartering of Bowie's men. Despite his size, giant belt and big floppy black hat, he managed to hide pretty well in that mounted group. That's amazing! (amazed yellow face)
SantaClaus

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:01 pm

I've sent a few screen shots to Ned and asked that he post them. Clearly, Blake is shown in the group of Bowie's men as they approach the Alamo. Interestingly, he a part of Bowie's men when they enter; he's ordered by Dickenson to show Bowie's men to their quarters; and he's a part of the Crockett's Tennessean's in the Cantina. Man, this guy doesn't know who he reports to!!! :lol: :lol:
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:49 pm

This was common in those days, and only a problem now that we can freeze frame and study. When I did my up-close extra gig in the bath scene in Bandolero!, it was the first day of filming. The setting was San Antonio. Later, I appear several times in the background of scenes supposedly set in Val Verde, Texas, 150 miles away. I was told, in fact, that they could only use me "in deep background" after that big close shot, and they had to change my hat and I had to get my haircut. For you to pick me out in several places later in the film, I would have to be sitting next to the screen to point to where I am -- and I charge for that service! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:59 pm

Also, I don't think John Wayne (as director) was always thinking of the fact that Clothier was shooting on 65mm film for a 70mm release, with many times the visual clarity of 35mm. In 35, and with selective focus, you can get away with a lot of transgressions in the background. In Todd-AO, however, and with the incredibly deep focus that Clothier was achieving, everything is crystal clear.

Remember another continuity error when you see Jocko leave with Houston troops at the beginning of the film. Another is when Jim Brewer (with his always obvious hatless shock of blond hair) is clearly one of the group of townspeople in Bexar being held back by the Mexican lancers while Lt. Rodriguez (Carlos Arruza) takes his troops up to the Alamo to demand surrender, where Jim is on the walls. Then, of course, Jim is in many scenes as one of the Alamo men. And doesn't Ken Curtis arrive with Houston's men at the beginning only to find Ken Curtis inside the hotel? They just didn't worry about it in this movie. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:08 am

Exactly! When I spoke again to Bill Gilmore, he said they didn't worry about continuity errors. Or using the same shot in several scenes. If it works, use it! He said they knew if something was "wrong," but as the action ran by so fast, no one was going to pick out the errors. An explosion was an explosion was an explosion. In some case, they HAD to use a particular take as other takes for the same scene either weren't acceptable, or they had technical issues or whatever. So, if the lighting was different, shadows were wrong, different personnel, it didn't matter. They did try to make sure to minimize continuity errors in dialog scenes. Of course, when edits were made, it did cause certain issues. But, no one was supposed to notice! It was the tone and message that was important, not the execution!
MUSTANG

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:09 am

Of course, Stuart Gilmore was nominated for Best Editing so he couldn't have done too bad a job. :lol:
MUSTANG

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:22 am

Mustang
did u see a mexican soldier
with a huge belt buckle
and being called El Lt blake Gomez
and after arriveing he tells the mexican
soldiers u muchachos will follow me
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
whiterabbitt83

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:57 am

MUSTANG wrote:Exactly! When I spoke again to Bill Gilmore, he said they didn't worry about continuity errors. Or using the same shot in several scenes. If it works, use it! He said they knew if something was "wrong," but as the action ran by so fast, no one was going to pick out the errors. An explosion was an explosion was an explosion. In some case, they HAD to use a particular take as other takes for the same scene either weren't acceptable, or they had technical issues or whatever. So, if the lighting was different, shadows were wrong, different personnel, it didn't matter. They did try to make sure to minimize continuity errors in dialog scenes. Of course, when edits were made, it did cause certain issues. But, no one was supposed to notice! It was the tone and message that was important, not the execution!

The only place that a dumb editing move tripped me up from the first time I saw the movie was the angle on the south wall and gate where the Texian falls off the wall and then a closer portion of the wall explodes. That's in one battle. Then in the other battle (can't remember which was first), you see the same take from a second camera a little farther back and the same action happens again followed by another explosion closer to the second camera. I turned to my dad and shouted, "Hey! That scene was in the first battle!"
RLC-GTT

Postby Travis247 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:59 pm

Not sure if its Lt. Blake or not, but during one of the assaults there is a cannoneer with a big black floppy hat manning one of the cannon in front of the chapel. His cannon fires as the scene focuses on the courtyard batteries. Takes thinkin' on.

Frank
Travis247
Travis247

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:44 pm

MUSTANG wrote:I've sent a few screen shots to Ned and asked that he post them. Clearly, Blake is shown in the group of Bowie's men as they approach the Alamo.
Interestingly, he a part of Bowie's men when they enter; he's ordered by Dickenson to show Bowie's men to their quarters; and he's a part of the
Crockett's Tennessean's in the Cantina. Man, this guy doesn't know who he reports to!!! :lol: :lol:
Attachments
vlcsnap-2015-07-17-17h47m46s114.png
vlcsnap-2015-07-17-17h47m46s114.png (240.88 KiB) Viewed 9303 times
vlcsnap-2015-07-17-17h46m36s121 (1).png
vlcsnap-2015-07-17-17h46m36s121 (1).png (773.13 KiB) Viewed 9304 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:03 am

Yep, as usual, Rich is correct. (And, I mention this scene in the book! LOL!) In the first use of the scene, Bowie is seen standing over the main gate, a defender is shot, falls backwards off the wall, and hits the ground just as there is an explosion to the defender's right at the base of the wall. Later, still during the first assault, the beginning of this scene is used. In this portion, a bearded, white shirt defender is shot, spins around and falls behind the wall, his hat drifting to the ground. If you notice, Bowie can be seen arriving over the main gate, yet in the previous scene, he was injured trying to assist the wounded Parson. And, the person who falls over the wall to the ground in the first use of this scene can now be seen crouching, then standing up next to the cannon. In the third use of this scene, which now is shown in the second assault, Bowie is again seen standing over the main gate while a defender flips backwards off the wall. The exact same shot as I first mentioned but taken from a different, wider angle. Seconds earlier, Bowie is seen manning the palisade with Crockett!

I had intended to include a list of all historical, continuity, and inconsistency errors as an appendix in the first book and, in fact, almost completed it when forced to pare down the number of pages. This appendix will be in the second book.
MUSTANG

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:20 am

As per Mustang...
Attachments
vlcsnap-2015-07-18-20h41m53s107.png
vlcsnap-2015-07-18-20h41m53s107.png (794.52 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
vlcsnap-2015-07-18-20h34m35s80.png
vlcsnap-2015-07-18-20h34m35s80.png (747.02 KiB) Viewed 9262 times
vlcsnap-2015-07-18-20h25m50s171.png
vlcsnap-2015-07-18-20h25m50s171.png (733.85 KiB) Viewed 9248 times
NefariousNed

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:42 am

Mustang
in the new book are u gonna mention LT BLAKE
whiterabbitt83

Postby gh1836 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:34 am

I agree that I think LT Blake arrives along with Bowies men but you could assume that he just rode in from town with Bowies volunteers and was actually one of Travis' men and therefore told to see to getting Bowies men squared away.
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby AlamoMo on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:12 pm

Here you go

Lt Blake along with Jocko arrive in the Alamo with Bowie and his men

Mo

Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:08 pm

Sure doesn't look like him.
RLC-GTT

Postby alamocentral on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:19 am

Yes, that is Mickey Finn, riding in with Bowie's men. Leroy Johnson, Finn, John Dierkes, Big John Hamilton, and Joe Canutt.
alamocentral

Postby mrbassbone on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:36 am

NefariousNed wrote:As per Mustang...

In these three images posted by Ned notice the top of the flying buttress in the middle one. See the smear....it is not in the top or the bottom image.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:36 pm

It would be unusual for somebody to accidentally smear three photos in the same spot. :lol: :lol:

By the way, just for the architectural record, that isn't a "flying" buttress. It's just a buttress. A flying buttress is like at the granary of Mission San Jose -- it is only pushing against the wall at the top.
RLC-GTT

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )