AlamoAl

Re: THE ALAMO (1960): The Director's Cut

Postby Seguin on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:55 am

Aw, shucks! :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:02 pm

I am astounded none of you remember "The Chuckawala Swing". Man have we digressed on this one!
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Seguin on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:03 am

Man have we digressed on this one!

Chuck has hijacked the thread. :D

I am astounded none of you remember "The Chuckawala Swing".

Here it is :mrgreen: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY1En0gbI8I
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Re: THE ALAMO (1960) The Director's Cut

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Bumping this one up. Hadn't realized how far off-topic it had gone.

~bump~
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Okay then. I'm a mite cornfused here. There's a Roadshow version and a Director's cut version and then there's the LBX Laser Director's cut version. Which is which and what's the difference????? What about the Japanese DVD that is a director's cut? How's come they got one and the good ol' US of A can't get one??????????????????????????'
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:04 am

I'll let someone who is more knowledgeable than I answer this one more fully, but, as to the Hong Kong (not Japanese) DVD of the Director's cut, it was lifted from the 3 disc laser box set. While the movie itself is intact, there is no Overture, Entr' Acte, or Exit Music. Also no Huberman documentery.

(Oh yeah, the Hong Kong one is also probably a bootleg.)
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 am

Nefarious wrote:I'll let someone who is more knowledgeable than I answer this one more fully, but, as to the Hong Kong (not Japanese) DVD of the Director's cut, it was lifted from the 3 disc laser box set. While the movie itself is intact, there is no Overture, Entr' Acte, or Exit Music. Also no Huberman documentery.

(Oh yeah, the Hong Kong one is also probably a bootleg.)

You're right Ned ... no music, NO DOCUMENTARY, etc. for the oriental version DVD ... I have it. As far as any dvd copy FROM the laser disc .. I think they are all bootleg as far as I know! :o :lol:

DaVY
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Seguin on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:46 am

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Okay then. I'm a mite cornfused here. There's a Roadshow version and a Director's cut version and then there's the LBX Laser Director's cut version. Which is which and what's the difference????? What about the Japanese DVD that is a director's cut? How's come they got one and the good ol' US of A can't get one??????????????????????????'

I believe the Roadshow version was the full version which was shown in various cities before they cut it down by about 30 min. Since some of the audience got "antsy", thinking some scenes were too long or too boring, Wayne decided to cut it down a bit.
Later on a Director´s Cut version was issued on video, which is actually the original full version before it was cut down. So the Roadshow version and the Director´s Cut is one and the same.
At least that´s how I understand it.

I don´t know a thing about the Japanese Director´s Cut, but maybe it was a bootleg (?). What I don´t understand is why the Directors Cut, the original movie, has´nt been issued on DVD. That´s a mystery! It would be easy to transfer the Laser Disc (Director´s Cut) version to DVD.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:39 pm

Rich explained in detail why that could not be done as I think we all posed that question at one time. With all this technical stuff you would think it could be done, but I'm just a simple minded movie buff.
Anyways, Rich has it here somewhere. I gottta feeling that if John Lee Hancock gets his director's cut for his Alamo, maybe ours is not so far off.
That being said I am relieved I have the Laser and for preservation sake have copied it to DVD in two parts for better quality.
If they do a director's cut they'll probably to it in Blu-ray. Then I'll have to buy a machine.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Davy on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Rich explained in detail why that could not be done as I think we all posed that question at one time. With all this technical stuff you would think it could be done, but I'm just a simple minded movie buff.
Anyways, Rich has it here somewhere. I gottta feeling that if John Lee Hancock gets his director's cut for his Alamo, maybe ours is not so far off.
That being said I am relieved I have the Laser and for preservation sake have copied it to DVD in two parts for better quality.
If they do a director's cut they'll probably to it in Blu-ray. Then I'll have to buy a machine.

Me too Ron ... Its allus sumthin ain't it? :o :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Very true. Heck, I went and bought a laser disc player just to be able to see the WAYNAMO box set Director's Cut.
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Nefarious wrote:Very true. Heck, I went and bought a laser disc player just to be able to see the WAYNAMO box set Director's Cut.

Sum folks niver learn ... do they! :roll: :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:48 pm

Same here Ned. I bought a laser disc player just to watch that movie.
MUSTANG

Postby Don on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:36 am

Yep, sounds like me too. I own one laser disc and I had to find a player too. It was worth it!
Don

Postby findem_killem on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Alamo running time. I have read in the forum how Wayne's movie was edited /cut to allow movie houses to add one more showing a day to promote ticket/concession sales. If that is the case then why didn't they insist on movies like Ben Hur; Lawrence of Arabia (which I tried to watch twice and fell asleep twice) and the Ten Commandments be cut so they could have more showings per day. I don't think anyone has addressed this before. My answer to this would be The Alamo had slow ticket sales and was a (excuse the words) boring movie to most people.
findem_killem

Postby Davy on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:27 pm

findem_killem wrote:Alamo running time. I have read in the forum how Wayne's movie was edited /cut to allow movie houses to add one more showing a day to promote ticket/concession sales. If that is the case then why didn't they insist on movies like Ben Hur; Lawrence of Arabia (which I tried to watch twice and fell asleep twice) and The Ten Commandments be cut so they could have more showings per day. I don't think anyone has addressed this before. My answer to this would be The Alamo had slow ticket sales and was a (excuse the words) boring movie to most people.

Thats an excellent point Larry! But then we ARE dealing with Hollyweird here on this matter ... the same ones that brought the Church up way too close in the last Alamo film ... so go figure. :o :roll: :D

Davy
Davy

Postby quincey morris on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:52 pm

findem_killem wrote:Alamo running time. I have read in the forum how Wayne's movie was edited /cut to allow movie houses to add one more showing a day to promote ticket/concession sales. If that is the case then why didn't they insist on movies like Ben Hur; Lawrence of Arabia (which I tried to watch twice and fell asleep twice) and The Ten Commandments be cut so they could have more showings per day. I don't think anyone has addressed this before. My answer to this would be The Alamo had slow ticket sales and was a (excuse the words) boring movie to most people.

Lawrence of Arabia was cut from 222 minutes to 202 minutes because of critisms of length and to increase number of showings.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby findem_killem on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:04 am

Has the twenty minutes of Lawrence ever been restored?
findem_killem

Postby Davy on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:18 am

findem_killem wrote:Has the twenty minutes of Lawrence ever been restored?

The collectors edition on Amazon claims 226 minutes ... who knows though ... :D

http://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Arabia-C ... 213&sr=8-2

Davy
Davy

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:36 am

Davy wrote:

The collectors edition on Amazon claims 226 minutes ... who knows though ... :D

http://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Arabia-C ... 213&sr=8-2

Davy

Davy, I have a copy of that collectors edition and it says the film itself is 217 minutes(approximately 227 minutes with the Overture, Entr' Acte and, Exit music.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby quincey morris on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Yes.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby AlamoMo on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Here you go Larry this should help you just click
on the link below:

The Restoration of "Lawrence of Arabia"

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2008/lawrence/index.htm
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:51 am

Ok, I need someone to give me the straight facts. Over on dukewayne.com, people over there say they have copies of the 212 minute directors cut of The Alamo, the dual VHS tape version, of course. I always thought it was 202 minutes. Mine says 3 hrs 22 minutes, 202 minutes. I asked them what the other ten minutes was. One said, maybe the 202 minutes was without the Overture, Intr'Acte and, Exit music. But doesn't that music make it 202 minutes? Let me know if I'm right or wrong so, I can set them straight over there.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby ricky.hollis on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:10 am

Is there any word if and when "The Director's CUt" on DVD will be issued?
ricky.hollis

Postby AlamoMo on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi Ricky.

Sadly there is no news on a Directors Cut being issued
in time for the 50th anniversary in October unless they
are keeping it under wraps that is !!!!!!!!!

Regards

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Lightcloud on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Well worth every penny, and as an extra the "Spirit of the Alamo" documentary. now that would be a perfect dvd
Lightcloud

Postby findem_killem on Tue May 04, 2010 5:20 am

I guess I've seen it all. I have DISH Network and their HD programs. They have an HD Channel that is called "RETRO" It shows older movies. Well today this station advertised that tonight 7:15 Pacific Time they were going to show "The Alamo" 1960. I thought wow The Alamo in HD and Digital Sound on my 65"TV. It finally happened, I died and went to heaven.
Well at 7:15 it came on and I discovered the following...

1. It was the short version
2. It was pan and scan (only the opening scence was widescreen)
3. It was not in 1080p HD. It must have been in 720. The picture was blurry.
4. the sound was Pro Logic not digital.

Did anyone else see this desecration? It was terrible and for the life of me why would anyone show this in pan and scan
I look forward to your comments.
findem_killem

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue May 04, 2010 7:47 am

I wouldn't have made it through Houston's ride-in. The TV screen might have even been in jeopardy, even though it had
nothing to do with it.
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:32 am

Yo my friends

Nice Alamo article on the 70mm film website this month:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/carthay/index.htm
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby gtj222 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:02 am

That is OUTSTANDING for a change!!! :o
gtj222

Postby caplock on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:05 am

AlamoMo wrote:Yo my friends

Nice Alamo article on the 70mm film website this month:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/carthay/index.htm

Yep, it's a nice one, all right. thanks for sharing, Mo.
caplock

Postby Davy on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:03 am

Ok I was asked a question ... so I will put it to the Alamo panel here ... what are the main differences (size, time, width
of screen, & other differences) between the Laser disk, vhs dir cut, and regular versions of the Alamo film? :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby Colonel Davy on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:09 pm

I'll try to fill in information regarding the home video product which, of course, includes the laserdisc.
When preparing for the October 8th screening, I drew up a timing sheet in order to remind myself what needed to be done and when. The lasedisc clocked in at 202min. 20sec. The disc purportedly has an aspect ratio of 2:20 x1. This is the same ratio as the 70MM TODD-AO print but I'm not sure the disc is as wide as the actual print. The early VHS release of the director's cut was not as wide as the laserdisc. I believe that was rerectified in subsequent video tape releases.
The disc was projected through a multi-media player and we were able to get an image of approximately 20hx30w without sacrificing too much color loss. The director's cut on video is truly a cut and paste job. Using the elements from existing short prints(161min.) and seamlessly integrating the missing footage into the whole, MGM/UA was able to give us an adequate video edition of the road show release. Of course the TODD-AO credit is missing. Someone evidently forgot to "seamlessly" edit it back in when mastering the video product. The film was slightly damaged on its journey from Canada to California and a splice occurs in the pyro- technics speech between Bowie and Crockett at the base of Travis' headquarters. In an email discussion with Robert Harris, he told this amounts to two frames. I was lucky that my laser had very few noise anamolies.
Colonel Davy

Laser Disk vice VHS Road Show

Postby alanhufffines on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:20 pm

I am sorry if this has been covered before. I just viewed the Laserdisk. Maybe it is just me, but the transfer seemed brighter and with a bit more screen on the left side. Am I imagining this? What (if any) are the differences?
COL (R) Alan C. Huffines
Buffalo Gap
Cameron's Colony
Republic of Texas

"Take off your shoes for you are on holy ground."
Branch T. Archer
San Felipe
alanhufffines

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:37 pm

The 3 disc laser box set of THE ALAMO includes a four page pamphlet that Davy was kind enough to
scan for us. Thanks, Davy.
Attachments
LaserBox1.jpg
LaserBox1.jpg (128.01 KiB) Viewed 6291 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Attachments
LaserBox2.jpg
LaserBox2.jpg (132.89 KiB) Viewed 6288 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:39 pm

Attachments
LaserBox3.jpg
LaserBox3.jpg (126.35 KiB) Viewed 6284 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Attachments
LaserBox4.jpg
LaserBox4.jpg (117.65 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
NefariousNed

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )