The Reconstruction and Restoration of THE ALAMO

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: The Reconstruction and Restoration of THE ALAMO

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:58 pm

gh1836 wrote:Here's some video of a 70mm print being prepared for projection Just thought some of you might be interested. http://filmmakermagazine.com/88196-watc ... FolJfnF-So

Nice, Gary. It also brings back my 16 mm. film editing days with "checking the print" with linen gloves and the finger and thumb feel for torn sprocket holes and bad splices. The effort in checking edited original was to TRY to cause a splice to come apart before sending it to the lab for final printing where, if it fell apart in the printer, would cost hundreds of dollars more. Ahhhh, I can smell the film!!! :cry: (Digital doesn't smell -- except when I get furious with a piece of equipment and fling it across the room and it blows up. :twisted: ).
RLC-GTT

Postby gh1836 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:07 am

Ahhh the smells of film cement and acetate. :)
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Didn't know whether to post this here, or under the film's "Premiere" thread, so I posted under both. ~Ned~

Don't recall if this was discussed in John Farkis' new book, but I was just wondering, for the premiere of THE ALAMO in Japan, was the film dubbed in Japanese, or
close-captioned/subtitled in Japanese? In either case, do any prints of this film yet exist in Japan, particularly the roadshow version? I don't see any reason why
such prints would've been returned to the US after the film's run. What use would they be in the US? But, in the event the prints were returned, then what sort
of editing did they go through for the 1967 re-release? We know that the prints that went to the UK left in a reel showing the return of Juan Seguin with the Gonzales
32. Also included was the birthday party scene. Just want to know if this was looked into and the results. Thanks.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:27 am

My guess is the prints just stayed in Japan at United Artists (pretty sure they would have an office there), and they probably would have gone through the same decisions and changes there -- if there was a second release. On the other side of the coin, I have no idea whether Japan's movie industry goes by the same rules and routines as the U.S. -- and rather doubt it. So, I'm probably all wet.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:02 am

Darn god question, Ned. I'll call Bill Gilmore and ask.
MUSTANG

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:02 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Darn god question, Ned. I'll call Bill Gilmore and ask.

So, any update on this, John?

Another topic I am rehashing because I don't know what thread it's in concerns the UK release of THE ALAMO. After the decision had been made to cut the film down from the roadshow version to general release, somehow, in the UK, reel 9D was neglected. So it was, back in 1985 when I was visiting with Laurence Golbey at his home in England, that I saw for the first time the scenes of the Gonzales men coming in with Juan Seguin and then Aissa's birthday party. The reel begins with "Corporal of the guard! Post number one... there's men on horses moving out there!" to Crockett and Bowie looking over the south wall at all the escalating troop movements. For the first time in the film, Crockett actually appears worried as he mouths almost to himself, "They're buildin' up."

So, what happened to this extended UK version with the extra reel? Are there still any 70 mm prints left out there that could help aid in the restoration of the film by piecing together what we've got from different sources?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:49 am

Two replies.
1). I spoke with Bill awhile ago and forgot to post the answer. Sorry. Bill didn't know.

2). As for the restoration, I recently had contact with Robert Harris and asked for an update. In his words, "It isn't a question of funding. it's a question if MGM wants to do it."
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:06 am

That is basically what Harris said to me a year or more ago, and I think he hit the nail on the head. They've hedged every way they can, and they are not even greasing the wheel anymore because it ain't squeakin'!
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:08 am

Still wouldn't mind seeing a possible extant print of the UK version with the extra reel.
NefariousNed

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )