THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Alamo Village Then & Now.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby NefariousNed on Mon May 23, 2016 2:24 am

Okay, I just watched the above mentioned bootleg of "The Last Command" and it is a very sharp print. Wonder where they got it?
Vibrant colors too, unlike the VHS tape copy I have. I doubt "The Last Command" ever made it to Laser Disc.

It would be nice if, someday a beautiful Blu Ray could be made of this film with some of the extras being those outtakes used in
the Alamo segment of "The Time Tunnel" TV series. Remember Reb Al's amazing screen captures he did from that episode? (Seen
earlier on in this thread.)
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 52380
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 23, 2016 2:57 am

Sounds wonderful. I haven't seen those wonderfully inaccurate bright blue lancer uniforms since the last time I saw the movie in the theater in 1955.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby Buckshot on Mon May 23, 2016 10:40 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Sounds wonderful. I haven't seen those wonderfully inaccurate bright blue lancer uniforms since the last time I saw the movie in the theater in 1955.


Not just bright blue, but also spotlessly clean! They must have skipped the wardrobe part where they put a little wear and tear on the uniform to show some hard use...
Buckshot
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon May 23, 2016 1:25 pm

I mentioned this earlier here on this thread. WWW.Hollywoodscrapheap.com has a nice copy. There are no logos like it was taken from TCM.
User avatar
Fargo Fenwyck
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm
Location: Northwood, Ohio

Re: The Last Command (1955)

Postby AlamoAaron on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:51 pm

NefariousNed wrote:More behind the scenes shots fro THE LAST COMMAND:
Image
(That looks like Sterling Hayden and John Russell leaning up against the station wagon, but who's the guy in the
middle?)


To me, it looks like Ben Cooper.
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:17 am

I've seen a brighter version of this pic. It is Sterling Hayden, Ben Cooper and John Russell.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby SantaClaus on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:30 am

Get that wagon in a circle!
R. McC
User avatar
SantaClaus
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:43 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby Tejas Cowboy on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:00 am

Finally saw The Last Command today on Amazon Prime. A very good movie. The actor playing Crockett was outstanding! Why was he not nominated for an Oscar?????? Mike the Bull was cool. Bowie was good and Travis was ok.

Awesome to see Slim Pickens in it. Our neighbors in Bulverde Tx were friends of his. I was hoping to see ol' Slim while living there but he never came by. So I guess Im only 3 degrees away for Davy and this movie thanks to neighbor and Slim as in "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" :lol:

Also it looks like the river battle scene was filmed on the Nueces. That put a smile on my face since Im from Uvalde and the river is jusssst outside of Uvalde.

So yeah I will be getting a dvd of this movie someday!
No, I'm with you fellers, not above you.
User avatar
Tejas Cowboy
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:31 pm

I agree with you on Arthur Hunnicutt's performance as Crockett. Nominating him for an Academy Award for the performance though would never have happened since he was just a character actor plugged into the role doing exactly the same character he always did in westerns. He was very good and casting him in the part was quite a work of genius. I believe half of the real Crockett was much like that performance -- but it didn't capture the whole man, nor was it intended to.

The battle scenes were indeed shot on the Nueces, and I think at one of the three locations north of Uvalde that Happy took me to once when we were planning a film ourselves. These were Happy's pet locations, and he was the fellow responsible for bringing THE LAST COMMAND to Brackettville. I know he personally took Duke to those locations, and I'm guessing he did the same for THE LAST COMMAND, since he was the only local who could think that way. ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby AlamoAaron on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:17 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Brian Keith was a wonderful Teddy Roosevelt, but less than wonderful Crockett.

Why are we in the "Last Command" thread?


Actually, Ned, Tom Berringer played Teddy Roosevelt--not Keith.
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:28 pm

AlamoAaron wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:Brian Keith was a wonderful Teddy Roosevelt, but less than wonderful Crockett.

Why are we in the "Last Command" thread?


Actually, Ned, Tom Berringer played Teddy Roosevelt--not Keith.

I should've been more specific, Aaron. Brian Keith was Teddy Roosevelt in "The Wind And The Lion".
Attachments
BrianKeithTeddyRooseveltTheWindAndTheLion.jpg
BrianKeithTeddyRooseveltTheWindAndTheLion.jpg (78.65 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 52380
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:57 pm

Keith's Crockett suffered because he didn't give a hoot to do his homework. When he first arrived, Happy was gone and I was asked to greet him and make him feel welcome. I took him into the Cantina and the girl gave him some ice tea. I complimented him on landing the part of Crockett, saying he (Crockett) was one of my heroes. His immediate response was, "Yeah, thanks. I don't know why they cast me in this part. I don't know anything about the man."
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby BexarTom on Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:06 pm

And, he acted like he didn't know or care. I've often wondered why James Arness wasn't given the Crockett role even though he was probably too old by then, too. By the way, Rich, Davy Crockett is one of my all-time hero's, too.
BexarTom
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby AlamoAaron on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:52 pm

NefariousNed wrote:
AlamoAaron wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:Brian Keith was a wonderful Teddy Roosevelt, but less than wonderful Crockett.

Why are we in the "Last Command" thread?


Actually, Ned, Tom Berringer played Teddy Roosevelt--not Keith.

I should've been more specific, Aaron. Brian Keith was Teddy Roosevelt in "The Wind And The Lion".


Ah, okay. Didn't know that. "Amazing what a little insight'll do."
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:07 am

BexarTom wrote:And, he acted like he didn't know or care. I've often wondered why James Arness wasn't given the Crockett role even though he was probably too old by then, too. By the way, Rich, Davy Crockett is one of my all-time hero's, too.

They were all too old -- except all the college kids playing frontiersmen. The worst -- and I'm sad to say it because he was a favorite -- was a geriatric and/or medicated Lorne Greene cast as 43 year old Sam Houston.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby AlamoAaron on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:24 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
BexarTom wrote:And, he acted like he didn't know or care. I've often wondered why James Arness wasn't given the Crockett role even though he was probably too old by then, too. By the way, Rich, Davy Crockett is one of my all-time hero's, too.

They were all too old -- except all the college kids playing frontiersmen. The worst -- and I'm sad to say it because he was a favorite -- was a geriatric and/or medicated Lorne Greene cast as 43 year old Sam Houston.


Hey, since they had one Bonanza guy why not all the rest!?

Lorne Greene as Davy Crockett
Dan Blocker as Jim Bowie
Pernell Roberts as William Travis
Michael Landon as James Bonham
:lol:
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:36 am

AlamoAaron wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:
BexarTom wrote:And, he acted like he didn't know or care. I've often wondered why James Arness wasn't given the Crockett role even though he was probably too old by then, too. By the way, Rich, Davy Crockett is one of my all-time hero's, too.

They were all too old -- except all the college kids playing frontiersmen. The worst -- and I'm sad to say it because he was a favorite -- was a geriatric and/or medicated Lorne Greene cast as 43 year old Sam Houston.


Hey, since they had one Bonanza guy why not all the rest!?

Lorne Greene as Davy Crockett
Dan Blocker as Jim Bowie
Pernell Roberts as William Travis
Michael Landon as James Bonham
:lol:

Michael Landon had been seriously considered for James Bowie.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 52380
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:49 am

Where network TV is concerned (the medium that is only there to sell products), casting has very little to do with getting the best actor for the part. Mostly, it is more like "What's the hottest name we can afford. Is he available? Work it out! I don't care for which part." That's TV.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby AlamoAaron on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:34 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Where network TV is concerned (the medium that is only there to sell products), casting has very little to do with getting the best actor for the part. Mostly, it is more like "What's the hottest name we can afford. Is he available? Work it out! I don't care for which part." That's TV.


Sadly so.
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby BexarTom on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:53 am

One more observation on Brian Keith - he was way too old and not very good as President McKinley in "The Rough Riders." A movie I really like, even if I'm a liberal. It's really too bad. He was a tremendous actor - in a certain genre.
BexarTom
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:58 am

I think he just got old and crotchety. And it was always "they" who did things to him -- classically. "I don't know why they cast me as Crockett." Also, he was asked by the producer to give a press interview up in the Alamo -- just to come outside and sit in a chair and let the guy interview him. "Why do they make me do this stuff," was his grumbly comment as he sat down.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby cc nolen on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:37 pm

He was sure a good Cowboy in his early years. BUT, he looked foolish as Crockett. Maybe they was trying to get it across that Crockett was old....but 49 or 50 aint too old anymore! Heck, I'm 63. :o
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10171
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:49 pm

cc nolen wrote:He was sure a good Cowboy in his early years. BUT, he looked foolish as Crockett. Maybe they was trying to get it across that Crockett was old....but 49 or 50 aint too old anymore! Heck, I'm 63. :o

And 63 makes you a kid by my standards -- but still a good target.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby cc nolen on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks...but that brings up a good point. :o Because you are a little thinner :shock: than me, I should be able to throw my snowballs from a closer distance. :D
By the way, is there any chance of snow this year? or is it; BYOS? :lol:
Chris...
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10171
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:10 pm

cc nolen wrote:Thanks...but that brings up a good point. :o Because you are a little thinner :shock: than me, I should be able to throw my snowballs from a closer distance. :D
By the way, is there any chance of snow this year? or is it; BYOS? :lol:
Chris...

It happened in 1895. IT CAN HAPPEN AGAIN! :twisted:
Attachments
Snow on Alamo Plaza.JPG
Snow on Alamo Plaza.JPG (192.9 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:43 pm

I guess it won't do much good to remind folks that there is an entire thread dedicated to, "The Great San Antonio Snow Ball Fight".
But here it is, just the same: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1600
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 52380
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby K Hale on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:34 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Where network TV is concerned (the medium that is only there to sell products), casting has very little to do with getting the best actor for the part. Mostly, it is more like "What's the hottest name we can afford. Is he available? Work it out! I don't care for which part." That's TV.

Isn't that how Frankie Avalon came to be wearing a skunk on his head? It's not anything specific to TV, that's just marketing. Every business is in the business of selling something.
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
User avatar
K Hale
 
Posts: 9104
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:17 pm
Location: Texas

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 pm

NefariousNed wrote:I guess it won't do much good to remind folks that there is an entire thread dedicated to, "The Great San Antonio Snow Ball Fight".
But here it is, just the same: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1600


No. ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby BexarTom on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:26 am

One of my friends moved from Racine, Wisconsin to San Antonio in 1981. When she returned for a visit, she told us of one of the infrequent "dustings" in San Antonio. No accumulation, yet, schools closed, cars were in ditches and, according to her, San Antonio used ground up gravel for traction. Still, in January, I'd rather be in San Antonio, or, better yet, Brackettville, than northern Wisconsin!
BexarTom
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby BigJake1979 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:13 am

AlamoAaron wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:
BexarTom wrote:And, he acted like he didn't know or care. I've often wondered why James Arness wasn't given the Crockett role even though he was probably too old by then, too. By the way, Rich, Davy Crockett is one of my all-time hero's, too.

They were all too old -- except all the college kids playing frontiersmen. The worst -- and I'm sad to say it because he was a favorite -- was a geriatric and/or medicated Lorne Greene cast as 43 year old Sam Houston.


Hey, since they had one Bonanza guy why not all the rest!?

Lorne Greene as Davy Crockett
Dan Blocker as Jim Bowie
Pernell Roberts as William Travis
Michael Landon as James Bonham
:lol:

Dan Blocker passed away in 1972 so that wouldn't have worked.
BigJake1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby AlamoAaron on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:01 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Image
Bowie meets Austin


Actually, I think this is when he meets Mike for the first time....
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:34 am

AlamoAaron wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:Image
Bowie meets Austin


Actually, I think this is when he meets Mike for the first time....

The man Bowie is talking to is Senor de Casada (actor Edward Franz). Yes, he met Mike Radin (Ernest Borgnine) in this scene.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17677
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby BigJake1979 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:05 pm

Is it a coincidence there is a character named Parson in TLC and The Alamo?
BigJake1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:03 pm

BigJake1979 wrote:Is it a coincidence there is a character named Parson in TLC and The Alamo?

Nope. "Last Command" was Wayne's script, but when he left Republic because Herb Yates wanted to make it a B Picture,
the script stayed with Yates. When James Edward Grant wrote his script, much of it reflected scenes from "The Last
Command". (Crockett torching the powder magazine for one.) And it's Dickinson, not Crockett who gets pinned to the door
of the chapel in "Last Command".
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 52380
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby BigJake1979 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Yeah I kinda figured that I was kinda kidding. :)
BigJake1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby BigJake1979 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 am

Ok riddle me this, why is there a thimblerig in Disney's Davy Crockett?
BigJake1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:47 am

BigJake1979 wrote:Ok riddle me this, why is there a thimblerig in Disney's Davy Crockett?

Because, like Wayne did later on, Disney relied on the "Colonel Crockett's Exploits and Adventure s in Texas" novel (1836) for the characters of The Bee Hunter, Thimblerig and The Indian. Purported at the time it was published to be Crockett's actual diary found at San Jacinto, it wasn't until 1885 that it was found to have been written by Richard Penn Smith, one of Crockett's editors. Smith had had access to Crockett himself, Crockett's letters, as well as other articles and firsthand writings, so it gave his novel the genuine Crockett treatment, content, as well as dialogue-wise. And, even though it is but a work of fiction, it still manages to give one of the best accounts of what it must've been like to have been in the Alamo under siege.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 52380
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: THE LAST COMMAND (1955)

Postby BigJake1979 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:56 am

I see that's interesting, Thanks!
BigJake1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Previous

Return to Alamo Village Brackettville.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest