Fort Clark

Alamo Village Then & Now.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Fort Clark

Postby Tejas Cowboy on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:42 am

Yep thats Ft. Inge.

The reason I bring up Ft. Inge:

"The United States Army regarrisoned the fort until March 19, 1869, when the garrison was transferred to Fort McKavett. The army recovered materials from the site to use for additions to nearby Fort Clark. Fort Inge then saw use as a camp by the Texas Rangers until 1884."

Quote is from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Inge

So some of the buildings at Ft. Clark could still have material from Ft. Inge. :)

It be great to have a thread to talk about Ft. Inge and show photo staken there. Can I make thread or Ned or Mo could?

Ft. Inge hospital:

No, I'm with you fellers, not above you.
Tejas Cowboy

Postby Tejas Cowboy on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:47 am

This should be where the hospital was at Ft. Inge. Same outline of foundation as in Ned's photo.

No, I'm with you fellers, not above you.
Tejas Cowboy

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:18 am

Perfect! And that is the hill in the background where Seth Eastman sat to draw the picture I've posted below. "Encampment on the Leona from the Mound - Texas - May 18, 1849" This would be the encampment that preceded the fort. As per Wikipedia: "Fort Inge was a frontier fort in Uvalde County, Texas, United States. Established as Camp Leona on March 13, 1849 . . ."
Attachments
Encampment on the Leona - Eastman_2.JPG
Encampment on the Leona - Eastman_2.JPG (153.5 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Tue May 10, 2016 8:14 pm

I was sitting here the other day, kind of brain dead, and the movie in progress on TV was Arrowhead, which I had forgotten was filmed in Brackettville. After a couple of prairie scenes of Cavalry vs Indians, mounted troops are shown returning to their fort, riding through the gateway of a stone wall. Within seconds I perk up at the sight of the barracks and other stone buildings surrounding the parade ground. Is that Fort Clark, I wonder, or did a lot of old forts look the same? Then I see that the stone columns on each side of the gate have FORT CLARK clearly engraved on them. I jumped up and simultaneously hit myself in the head and kicked myself in the butt.
Since Arrowhead used Hobbs Ranch just as The Last Command did, rather than Happys ranch where John Wayne built AV, it brought to mind a question Ive been meaning to ask for a long time. Driving to Alamo Village from Brackettville, I have often noticed a nearby ranch entrance with an H or Circle H above the gate. What does that H stand for?
Richard McClory
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue May 10, 2016 9:43 pm

The scenes you saw were indeed really Fort Clark -- the gate and Commissary building are still there. The Magazine that the Indians rob was... the Commisary... just up the hill and on the left from the main entrance from the highway. The Louis Hobbs Ranch was 5 miles south of Brackettville. The gate on the right before you get to the A.V. gate is the Circle-H ranch -- H for Harold Byrd from Dallas who owns the ranch which used to be the westernmost pasture of Happy's until he sold it to Harold in the seventies. Col. Louis Hobbs was the magic key that opened the first door when Happy was hitting the Hollywood studios in an attempt to bring films to Brackettville in 1952. Hobbs just happened to have been the commanding officer of Harry Templeton (Paramount producer of Arrowhead) in the Air Force years before. When Templeton got a call from Disney's secretary Alpha Steinman to tell him there was a man in her office (Happy) who had the perfect location for Templeton's movie. When he learned Happy was from Brackettville -- and close friends with Hobbs -- the previously closed gates of Paramount Studios opened to Happy Shahan, and they made a deal to film in Brackettville. Happy did not wish to do any movies on the Shahan Angus Ranch, as it was then.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:31 am

Farkis at Fort Clark! Be there!
Attachments
14666120_10207427164868508_4099818010985104609_n.jpg
14666120_10207427164868508_4099818010985104609_n.jpg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:03 pm

RLC-GTT wrote: ...When Templeton got a call from Disney's secretary Alpha Steinman to tell him there was a man in her office (Happy) who had the perfect location for Templeton's movie. When he learned Happy was from Brackettville -- and close friends with Hobbs -- the previously closed gates of Paramount Studios opened to Happy Shahan, and they made a deal to film in Brackettville. Happy did not wish to do any movies on the Shahan Angus Ranch, as it was then.

Disney's secretary? What's the connection there?
What was the reason for not wanting to use the Shahan ranch?
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:15 pm

ERROR MESSAGE -- A CURILLIAN FOXPASS:
RLC-GTT wrote:The Magazine that the Indians rob was... the Commisary... just up the hill and on the left from the main entrance from the highway.

I meant to say, "The Magazine that the Indians rob was... the Magazine (of the real Fort Clark)... just up the hill and on the left from the main entrance from the highway." ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote: ...When Templeton got a call from Disney's secretary Alpha Steinman to tell him there was a man in her office (Happy) who had the perfect location for Templeton's movie. When he learned Happy was from Brackettville -- and close friends with Hobbs -- the previously closed gates of Paramount Studios opened to Happy Shahan, and they made a deal to film in Brackettville. Happy did not wish to do any movies on the Shahan Angus Ranch, as it was then.

Disney's secretary? What's the connection there?

Happy had tried to get into every movie studio in Hollywood in the ten days he spent there and could never get in the front gate without a reference. Disney Studios were less like a medieval fort and more like an open college campus. Nobody kept him out. He went in the first office building he saw and talked to (he thought) the receptionist, Alpha Steinman. In reality, she was Walt Disney's personal secretary and just relieving the real receptionist for a few minutes. When she saw Happy's photo album of the location he was pitching (Fort Clark and all its original buildings and terrain), she called Harry Templeton, who was the producer (at Paramount) planning Arrowhead, and got Happy in to see him. Happy didn't know who she was until Templeton finally asked him how he met her. Happy was simply at the right place, at the right time, with the right material, talking to the right person -- who wouldn't have been there ten minutes later. The Disney secretary was the key that opened the door to Paramount and landing their production in Brackettville.

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:What was the reason for not wanting to use the Shahan ranch?

As I said above, "Happy did not wish to do any movies on the Shahan Angus Ranch, as it was then." He ran a cattle ranch and didn't want movies out there on his private land. His goal (as mayor of Brackettville with a vision none others had) was simply to bring movies to Brackettville using the remarkable and original buildings at Fort Clark as the lure. Or, as he put it, "All you have to do is cover the streets with some dirt, hide electrical lines, and you have an 1800's frontier fort."
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:28 pm

I watched enough of "Arrowhead' the other day and was amazed at the changes from that film to "The Alamo". The bridge looks different and so does the creek. Might be camera angels. The biggest difference I noticed was Rudy's studio. When was that built and how did he manage that?
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:The biggest difference I noticed was Rudy's studio. When was that built and how did he manage that?

What are you referring to? What am I missing?
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Didn't you tell me that was Rudy's studio on the road to the bridge? I got some cactus from that house. It almost flooded there from the creek. Did I miss something???
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:01 pm

The only possible thing you could be talking about is my friend Rocco's recording studio, which used to be directly overlooking the bridge. The house is still there, with the big glass front, but Rocco's studio is now an apartment. Don't know what you mean by Rudy's studio. I thought you were talking about Rudy Robbins who never had a studio or anything at Fort Clark. Yeah, you missed (or are missing) something. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:47 pm

If you remember for some reason I keep calling Rocco "RUDY". That should clear up you confusion. I doesn't have to call him Johnson!
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:04 pm

It just explains the confusion -- doesn't clear it up. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:18 pm

I've got it straight in my head :P
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:20 am

You guys lost me at the bakery. :roll:
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:32 am

Not surprising since we were lost at the bakery.
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:15 pm

There's a bakery? I was in the pool getting young :roll:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby NefariousNed on Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 pm

This essay contest winner was in this year's Battle of Flowers program.
Attachments
FortClarkEssay.jpg
FortClarkEssay.jpg (500.09 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby SantaClaus on Tue May 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks for posting the essay, "Blood on the Prairie", above. It is a very interesting and concise read. I realize that we all make typos and grammatical errors, so I won't dwell upon those in the essay.
I do have a question for all you historians out there. What was Ranald Mackenzie's rank when he went on his cross-border raid? On TV, Richard Carlson played Colonel Ranald Mackenzie in "Mackenzie's Raiders". The essay above refers to him as "General Mackenzie". Did television writers demote him, or did the essayist promote him. Or, is this similar to George Custer who was a general during the Civil War, but held the rank of colonel (or lt. colonel) at the time of his death at Little Big Horn?
SantaClaus

Previous

Return to Alamo Village Brackettville.