Gunsmoke: The Last Apatche

Alamo Village Then & Now.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Gunsmoke: The Last Apatche

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Rich how much or that movie was filmed at Alamo village
and did they film any of the other Gunsmoke movies at the village?
whiterabbitt83

Re: Gunsmoke: The Last Apatche

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:56 am

Most of it was at Alamo Village. I'd actually have to look at it again to see what wasn't. It was the only Gunsmoke done here -- the second of the feature length films -- and made good use of Michael Learned in that she appeared in the TV series many years before. The movie even has a flashback to scenes from the TV episode as a reference to how Amy Stock-Pointon's character got conceived. That was pretty avant-guard television back then (in the fifties or early sixties) to allude to an illicit relationship between the hero and a girl -- even while Miss Kitty languished back in Dodge. The apology, of course, was that Matt had amnesia and that made it O.K. :lol:

I had the opportunity of giving Amy and her mom and dad a tour of the village when they were here. Very sweet girl and parents too.
RLC-GTT

Postby Rick on Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:54 am

In December 1989 I visited Alamo Village for the first time. This was on a Monday morning. Two days earlier, I was told, they had finished filming this Gunsmoke TV movie at the Village.

Missed getting to watch them film there by two days.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby MartyB on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:16 pm

The 'SHAHAN HOUSE"?????

Seriously.......????
Attachments
000(0)_0_0_1_ aad4d.jpg
000(0)_0_0_1_ aad4d.jpg (90.3 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Hahahaha! We've all gotten commemorated on building sign set decoration for various movies. It's a combination of two goals. First and foremost, it is protection for the production company or studio. If, say, there is a saloon depicted on the set and the set decorator just arbitrarily made up a name like "Bill Jameson's Saloon," when the movie is released, some fellow from Boston named Bill Jameson might sue the company for connecting his name to a saloon. If, on the other hand, the movie company uses the name of someone they know, like Rich Curilla, they can always say, "No, that's Rich Curilla in Brackettville, not Rich Curilla in New Mexico, and we can prove it." Plus, the more attractive reason is just honoring a local and perhaps getting more variety on signs than if they went by Smith or Jones (sorry, Chris and Mo). Set decorators at Alamo Village have used Shahan Hotel, Wardlaw Hotel (named for Lashawn Wardlaw, Happy's granddaughter -- and casting director for extras on several films at the village), Virginia's Hotel (for Happy's wife), Wanek Bros. General Store (a name replacement for our Cantina, named for Jerry Wanek, the set decorator, and his brother who assisted him), and Rich Curilla's Photography.

On the set of The Alamo (2004), Michael Corenblith originally planned to have more signage in the Bexar set until discussions with me and others -- plus a thorough search of Spanish Colonial paintings from the period -- suggested that hardly any signs were used in 1836 Bexar. In his original plan, the building to the right of the Jim Bowie cantina was labeled "Graciela's Bodega" after his daughter Grace. In The Blind Side, he had to come up with a sign for the side of the truck that the main character smashes into by accident right after he got his driver's license. It became "Curilla and Sons Lawn & Landscape." Made my day, when Michael sent me the picture -- and I never knew I had children.
RLC-GTT

Return to Alamo Village Brackettville.