James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Alamo Village Then & Now.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby AlamoAl on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:25 pm

I enjoyed the film as well :D but yeah it was a little to long. :shock: I am sure the Benjamin Bratt character was based on someone if not one person then a composite of many banditos that plauged Texas during it's republic period. ;)
AlamoAl
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:46 pm

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:28 pm

That's how Michener's books always worked -- John Ford movies too -- not to mention Lonesome Dove. ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby alamonorth on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:44 pm

This film is being released on dvd on May 7.
alamonorth
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:25 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 am

Is this a new dvd? I have mine from Artisian. Oh yeah it should have been done in at least two episodes or better three like the Lonesome Dove films.
User avatar
Fargo Fenwyck
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm
Location: Northwood, Ohio

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm

The problem is basically trying to do a 2-part miniseries (I think it was only two) from a 1096 page novel. Remember the excellent Centennial miniseries that was done form Michener's similar-length novel? That was eleven episodes, thus somewhere north of 20 hours of TV. The Texas miniseries only focused on the revolution and the Republic period. The book covered everything from the Spanish entradas of the 16th. century to the present (1985). Characters in the mini- had to be altered or eliminated in some cases since, without the rest of the backstory, they lost their significance. And, of course, a stupid love triangle had to be added between Benjamin Bratt, Chelsea Field and Patrick Duffy -- because TV's a wasteland. "Theater is life; cinema is art; television is furniture."
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Is this a new dvd? I have mine from Artisian. Oh yeah it should have been done in at least two episodes or better three like the Lonesome Dove films.

Lonesome Dove was actually four episodes, Fenny, and that seems to me to be about the best length. I would truly like to see a genuine Texas Revolution story done in a four-episode format.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby K Hale on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 am

RLC-GTT wrote:And, of course, a stupid love triangle had to be added between Benjamin Bratt, Chelsea Field and Patrick Duffy -- because TV's a wasteland. "Theater is life; cinema is art; television is furniture."

Is she in that? I knew her in California. Her dad, Will Botfield, trained Saddlebred horses at the barn in Burbank where we kept my horse. She came out to ride now and then. Nice lady and a good rider too. IIRC, she also had a sister? It's been a while...
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
User avatar
K Hale
 
Posts: 9171
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:17 pm
Location: Texas

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:56 am

K Hale wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:And, of course, a stupid love triangle had to be added between Benjamin Bratt, Chelsea Field and Patrick Duffy -- because TV's a wasteland. "Theater is life; cinema is art; television is furniture."

Is she in that? I knew her in California. Her dad, Will Botfield, trained Saddlebred horses at the barn in Burbank where we kept my horse. She came out to ride now and then. Nice lady and a good rider too. IIRC, she also had a sister? It's been a while...

She did well in the mini and was quite pleasant on set, for what I saw. She played Mattie Quimper and ran a ferry (Quimper's Ferry) on (I suppose) the Brazos River. Her son in the film was played well as a disgusting character by Anthony Michael Hall. We were eight towns and a cave interior in the film.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby K Hale on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:59 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
K Hale wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:And, of course, a stupid love triangle had to be added between Benjamin Bratt, Chelsea Field and Patrick Duffy -- because TV's a wasteland. "Theater is life; cinema is art; television is furniture."

Is she in that? I knew her in California. Her dad, Will Botfield, trained Saddlebred horses at the barn in Burbank where we kept my horse. She came out to ride now and then. Nice lady and a good rider too. IIRC, she also had a sister? It's been a while...

She did well in the mini and was quite pleasant on set, for what I saw. She played Mattie Quimper and ran a ferry (Quimper's Ferry) on (I suppose) the Brazos River. Her son in the film was played well as a disgusting character by Anthony Michael Hall. We were eight towns and a cave interior in the film.

How was the cave interior done?
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
User avatar
K Hale
 
Posts: 9171
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:17 pm
Location: Texas

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 am

The exterior of the cave was filmed on Sycamore Creek on Bill Moody's Ranch or on a ranch up on the lower Devils River above Del Rio (not sure which, but I think Moody's). You see Benjamin Brat and Chelsea Field making entrances and exits there, probably all shot on one day. The company built the interior of the cave (their make-shift home) in our make-shift soundstage at Alamo Village (MelRoy Building -- the second two-story across from the Cantina where our current hotel lobby set is). It was all blown and molded Styrofoam with wild walls and only the suggestion of a top, open for lighting instruments. Set decorator Carla Curry (The Alamo '04) took it from there and dressed it with props from our prop room and other places around the village. Very believable when you walked in. Wouldn't have minded living there myself -- with or without Chelsea. :lol:
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby K Hale on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 am

RLC-GTT wrote:The exterior of the cave was filmed on Sycamore Creek on Bill Moody's Ranch or on a ranch up on the lower Devils River above Del Rio (not sure which, but I think Moody's). You see Benjamin Brat and Chelsea Field making entrances and exits there, probably all shot on one day. The company built the interior of the cave (their make-shift home) in our make-shift soundstage at Alamo Village (MelRoy Building -- the second two-story across from the Cantina where our current hotel lobby set is). It was all blown and molded Styrofoam with wild walls and only the suggestion of a top, open for lighting instruments. Set decorator Carla Curry (The Alamo '04) took it from there and dressed it with props from our prop room and other places around the village. Very believable when you walked in. Wouldn't have minded living there myself -- with or without Chelsea. :lol:

Well, cool! BYO Cave!
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
User avatar
K Hale
 
Posts: 9171
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:17 pm
Location: Texas

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:37 am

Jeff Bearden said today that he was in "Texas" as part of Sam Houston's cavalry at San Jacinto. He even doubled for Stacy Keach as Houston in one mounted scene. Guess we'll have to go back and see if we can pick him out.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 53130
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby AlamoAaron on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:18 am

This movie is filled with great and mediocre performances. Patrick Duffy as Austin is superb. Stacy Keach was the best Houston since Richard Dix in Man of Conquest. David Keith as Bowie was brutal but good--despite the hair--and Grant Show as Travis and John Schneider as Crockett were just plain dull. Just my opinion.
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:23 am

AlamoAaron wrote:This movie is filled with great and mediocre performances. Patrick Duffy as Austin is superb. Stacy Keach was the best Houston since Richard Dix in Man of Conquest. David Keith as Bowie was brutal but good--despite the hair--and Grant Show as Travis and John Schneider as Crockett were just plain dull. Just my opinion.


I agree, Duffy was a good Austin. It was about time the "Father Of Texas" got prominently featured in a film.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 53130
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:33 am

NefariousNed wrote:
AlamoAaron wrote:This movie is filled with great and mediocre performances. Patrick Duffy as Austin is superb. Stacy Keach was the best Houston since Richard Dix in Man of Conquest. David Keith as Bowie was brutal but good--despite the hair--and Grant Show as Travis and John Schneider as Crockett were just plain dull. Just my opinion.


I agree, Duffy was a good Austin. It was about time the "Father Of Texas" got prominently featured in a film.

And, believe it or not, Duffy is 6'4" tall! I thought he did great, but I see Austin very differently. Stacy was a good Houston -- and a super nice guy. (As was Duffy). Bowie, Crockett and Travis were completely miscast -- although John Schneider was lots of fun to have around and did the part well. Alas, there's always one, and that was Anthony Michael Hall. He seemed to have gotten on everybody's nerves. So much so that, when Stacy Keach slapped him for the scene, he really slapped him hard -- and about two lines before he was supposed to. The look of surprise on Hall's face is genuine!
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby AlamoAaron on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:14 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:And, believe it or not, Duffy is 6'4" tall! I thought he did great, but I see Austin very differently. Stacy was a good Houston -- and a super nice guy. (As was Duffy). Bowie, Crockett and Travis were completely miscast -- although John Schneider was lots of fun to have around and did the part well. Alas, there's always one, and that was Anthony Michael Hall. He seemed to have gotten on everybody's nerves. So much so that, when Stacy Keach slapped him for the scene, he really slapped him hard -- and about two lines before he was supposed to. The look of surprise on Hall's face is genuine!

Wow, wait a minute. If Duffy is 6-4, and Larry Hagman (J r Ewing) on Dallas was taller than him--Hagman must have been a tall fellow himself!
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:45 am

More than likely, they used the old Hollywood technique of putting Hagman on an applebox for his 2-shots with Patrick. There IS NO height in movies. It is created with appleboxes and the camera angle. ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby cc nolen on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:51 pm

I will bring you a box to Bexar in March :o or you might have your own as seen here. :lol:
Attachments
hhd-23.JPG
hhd-23.JPG (118.77 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10520
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:27 am

Actually, Chris only comes up to my shoulder. 8-)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby cc nolen on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:19 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Actually, Chris only comes up to my shoulder. 8-)

_____________________________________
:o :o :o LOL! Now I need help getting up from the floor LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I carry a bucket with me all the time! :shock:
Attachments
rich.JPG
rich.JPG (62.4 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10520
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:37 pm

cc nolen wrote:I carry a bucket with me all the time! :shock:

Nah, Chris. You've got a lot of years left in you. :lol:
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:35 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:
AlamoAaron wrote:This movie is filled with great and mediocre performances. Patrick Duffy as Austin is superb. Stacy Keach was the best Houston since Richard Dix in Man of Conquest. David Keith as Bowie was brutal but good--despite the hair--and Grant Show as Travis and John Schneider as Crockett were just plain dull. Just my opinion.


I agree, Duffy was a good Austin. It was about time the "Father Of Texas" got prominently featured in a film.

And, believe it or not, Duffy is 6'4" tall! I thought he did great, but I see Austin very differently. Stacy was a good Houston -- and a super nice guy. (As was Duffy). Bowie, Crockett and Travis were completely miscast -- although John Schneider was lots of fun to have around and did the part well. Alas, there's always one, and that was Anthony Michael Hall. He seemed to have gotten on everybody's nerves. So much so that, when Stacy Keach slapped him for the scene, he really slapped him hard -- and about two lines before he was supposed to. The look of surprise on Hall's face is genuine!


Rich, I went on IMDb and looked Patrick Duffy up and he's listed at 6'2", only a 2 inch difference, but still taller than I thought he was. Larry Hagman listed at 6'1". Definitely taller than I thought. Though he was only about 5'8".
TexianAtHeartII
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am
Location: Westland, Mi

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby AlamoAaron on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:41 am

NefariousNed wrote:Image
Bowie is helped across the line by Crockett and Travis. (Notice how the PRICE OF FREEDOM statues are still in the church
niches? When did they come down, Rich?)


Though they all look terrible, I love this scene of defiance for the cause of liberty.
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby Pudman on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm

I was at the site within a few days of filming. Charred wood in the compound from pyres. Holes outside the palisade from cannonade. No statues.
Pudman
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:37 pm
Location: Natchez, Mississippi

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:56 pm

Those statues were put in the niches for Texas. Their set decoration. But they probably got them from the same place that POF got theirs -- and, of course, both were much too small. It took a Michael Corenblith to correct that. ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Previous

Return to Alamo Village Brackettville.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest