James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Alamo Village Then & Now.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: James A. Michener's Texas (1995)

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:07 am

The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:08 am

"Look at me", says Bowie. Then, "Goodbye."
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:09 am

Jack Nicholson's got nothing on this Bowie.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:10 am

James Bowie (David Keith) looks down at his handiwork.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:11 am

Seems like it was a lark for old Jim.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:11 am

Binding up his wounds.
NefariousNed

Postby gtj222 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:48 am

To me, his hair always looked like something Dolly Parton would wear. :roll:
gtj222

Postby Davy on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:58 am

Nefarious wrote:Image
Jack Nicholson's got nothing on this Bowie.

Heeerrees Jimmy! :o :twisted:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Seguin on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:53 am

Nice screen caps! That was some knife fight in Mitchener´s Texas. :shock:
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:37 pm

For all its drawbacks, TEXAS at least presented the story from Steve Austin's viewpoint for a change and
Patrick Duffy did a pretty good job of it, in my opinion.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Grant Show was okay as William Barret Travis, for the lines they gave him and the lack of character development, but what
was with those chin whiskers?
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Stacey Keach was also a surprisingly good Sam Houston.
NefariousNed

Postby K Hale on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 am

Nefarious wrote:Image
For all its drawbacks, TEXAS at least presented the story from Steve Austin's viewpoint for a change and
Patrick Duffy did a pretty good job of it, in my opinion.

So there has been an Alamo(-related) movie with Austin in it! I may need to rent it just for that.

As for those Bowie screen caps... jeez... and I thought Gates of the Alamo was slightly over the top. Little did I know this was out there. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby quincey morris on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:17 am

The Last Command and Man of Conquest both have Stephen Austin in them.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:10 am

quincey morris wrote:The Last Command and Man of Conquest both have Stephen Austin in them.

True, but he is not featured in those films. In this one, he even gets the love interest.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:56 am

Nefarious wrote:
quincey morris wrote:The Last Command and Man of Conquest both have Stephen Austin in them.

True, but he is not featured in those films. In this one, he even gets the love interest.

....which just really negated everything Patrick Duffy brought to the role. I mean the guy was a celibate. Texas was his mistress. But no, Aaron Spelling Television had to give him a sex story. All said, Patrick really cared to do the Austin character well. And, big surprise, the guy is 6'-4" tall!

So did Stacy Keach with Houston. And, by the way, when he slaps Anthony Michael Hall and shoves him into the storeroom, he deliberately jumped that scene. The slap was deliberately too early and pretty dern hard. Hall sort of got on everybody's nerves -- and I still have a few of the giant cue cards the PA's had to make for him.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 am

The other nicest guy on the set other than Patrick was John Schneider. Kind, warm and cheerful fellow.
RLC-GTT

Postby quincey morris on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Nefarious wrote:

Really-featured-I did not know that. So sorry for the mistake. I wonder how Duffy and those folks were like to work with?
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby K Hale on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:53 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
Nefarious wrote:

....which just really negated everything Patrick Duffy brought to the role. I mean the guy was a celibate. Texas was his mistress. But no, Aaron Spelling Television had to give him a sex story.

Who was the love interest? It seems to me Austin had a thing for his cousin Mary Holley, and she in return. It's a shame they were, uh, related. Not that that was necessarily a barrier in those days.
So did Stacy Keach with Houston. And, by the way, when he slaps Anthony Michael Hall and shoves him into the storeroom, he deliberately jumped that scene. The slap was deliberately too early and pretty dern hard. Hall sort of got on everybody's nerves -- and I still have a few of the giant cue cards the PA's had to make for him.

Before I even finished reading this paragraph, I was already thinking to myself, "Well, who hasn't wanted to slap Anthony Michael Hall?"
K Hale

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:39 pm

K Hale wrote:Who was the love interest? It seems to me Austin had a thing for his cousin Mary
Holley, and she in return. It's a shame they were, uh, related. Not that that was
necessarily a barrier in those days.

Mattie Quimper (Chelsea Field), a fictional character who also steals the affections
of another fictional character, Benito Garza ( Benjamin Bratt).

Benjamin Bratt (Benito), Chelsea Field (Mattie) and
Patrick Duffy (Austin)
NefariousNed

Postby K Hale on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Chelsea Field! I know her. Her father, Will Botfield, trained Saddlebreds in California and kept them at the same barn where
I boarded my horse. She came out to ride occasionally, nice lady.
K Hale

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:12 pm

I thought Chelsey was nice, but I don't have many memories as to why I thought so. She was certainly beautiful and very sweet to everybody. Good actress, but it was a TV movie, so there was little *acting excitement* on the set. Everybody was just doing a job.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Lashawn Wardlaw (now McIvor), Happy's granddaughter, was casting director for extras on Texas and it was a particularly difficult show for extras casting demands. Alamo Village played 8 different towns in the movie, five of which had big street scenes. The director quite correctly didn't want to see the same obvious people on the street in San Antonio as in Memphis or Victoria. Thus, with a local extras pool of 100 to 200 people, it was hard for Lashawn to provide the variety they needed. Plus she had been asked to provide several dozen bit players with speaking parts as well which came from the most qualified of this group. Then, for a week or so, they were scheduling these scenes of different towns very close together and she had to really scramble. The greatest panic was when they told her during a day shoot with full extras that they were going to also shoot the double wedding reception that same night rather than at a later date as planned -- and they wanted totally different extras that she hadn't hired or even found yet! We were in the middle of our gunfight summer entertainment (between scenes) and, after one of the afternoon shows, Tulisha (Lashawn's mom) paraded in front of the audience of tourists and asked how many wanted to be in the movie that night -- that it would mean staying late late (perhaps all night). These were normal folks who had vacation agendas, but she got a whole bunch who stayed and solved it later. Absolutely amazing -- and I could have NEVER asked it of them.

Also, the mariachis you see playing for the wedding were dubbed later by good musicians. By three in the morning, we were sooooooooooooo sick of listening to that same ONE song played by totally tone-deaf musicians that their lives were in danger. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby K Hale on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:38 pm

RLC-GTT wrote: after one of the afternoon shows, Tulisha (Lashawn's mom) paraded in front of the audience of tourists and asked how many wanted to be in the movie that night -- that it would mean staying late late (perhaps all night). These were normal folks who had vacation agendas, but she got a whole bunch who stayed and solved it later.

Talk about opportunity knocking. I'd have found it well worth putting up with poorly-rendered mariachi music for a dozen hours...
K Hale

Postby quincey morris on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:37 am

RLC-GTT wrote:I thought Chelsey was nice, but I don't have many memories as to why I thought so. She was certainly beautiful and very sweet to everybody. Good actress, but it was a TV movie, so there was little *acting excitement* on the set. Everybody was just doing a job.

Actually, she sat around the set between takes figuring which airline flight would get her out of Texas fast enough.

Scott Swenson, by the way, was the person who brought in the coreTexian re-enactors for the project. Marco Gonzales brought in those for the core of the Mexican Army.
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:19 am

quincey morris wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:I thought Chelsey was nice, but I don't have many memories as to why I thought so. She was certainly beautiful and very sweet to everybody. Good actress, but it was a TV movie, so there was little *acting excitement* on the set. Everybody was just doing a job.

Actually, she sat around the set between takes figuring which airline flight would get her out of Texas fast enough.

Scott Swenson, by the way, was the person who brought in the coreTexian re-enactors for the project. Marco Gonzales brought in those for the core of the Mexican Army.

Kevin, do you remember how many of each?
RLC-GTT

Postby quincey morris on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:56 am

About 10 to 20.
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby Seguin on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:51 am

Who was the love interest? It seems to me Austin had a thing for his cousin Mary Holley, and she in return. It's a shame they were, uh, related. Not that that was necessarily a barrier in those days.

It still is´nt illegal, but the risk of having a handicapped child is twice as big as for couples who are not cousins.

Funny story! I´ll remember it next time I watch "Texas". :D

Patrick Duffy was´nt too bad as Stephen Austin (although I sometimes expected J.R. to pop up anytime :D ). I liked the movie, but I wish they had´nt blended fiction into the story.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:38 am

Seguin wrote:Patrick Duffy was´nt too bad as Stephen Austin (although I sometimes expected J.R. to pop up anytime :D ). I liked the movie, but I wish they had´nt blended fiction into the story.

Um...... This was a miniseries based on Michener's novel -- a fictional story with a smattering of fact. Awesome as the novel due to Michener's overall real world; pure junk as the miniseries with a few redeeming elements like Keach, Field, Duffy and John Schneider, even though his Crockett was silly.
RLC-GTT

Postby quincey morris on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:44 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
Seguin wrote:Patrick Duffy was´nt too bad as Stephen Austin (although I sometimes expected J.R. to pop up anytime :D ). I liked the movie, but I wish they had´nt blended fiction into the story.

Um...... This was a miniseries based on Michener's novel -- a fictional story with a smattering of fact. Awesome as the novel due to Michener's overall real world; pure junk as the miniseries with a few redeeming elements like Keach, Field, Duffy and John Schneider, even though his Crockett was silly.

and resulted in a nice little book by Michener called The Eagle and the Raven.
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby Davy on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Um...... This was a miniseries based on Michener's novel -- a fictional story with a smattering of fact. Awesome as the novel due to Michener's overall real world; pure junk as the miniseries with a few redeeming elements like Keach, Field, Duffy and John Schneider, even though his Crockett was silly.

According to IMDB the Mich Texas dvd is clocked at 180 miutes ... I have it, but have not watched it min a while. :D

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 pm

When he is threatend by a passel of lowlifes who brand him for a horsethief, Benito Garza pulls this knife to defend himself.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 pm

Jim Bowie steps in to tell the thugs to back down.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:55 pm

"You some kind of Mex lover," one thug accuses Bowie. "He married one, " another thug adds.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:59 pm

"Boys, are we gonna just stand here and stare at each other, or have at it?"
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:00 am

The thugs begin to have their misgivings.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 am

Bowie slices them up in good order, leaving one for Benito to toy with.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:02 am

Bowie owns the field.
NefariousNed

Postby K Hale on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 am

That is one feral-looking Bowie. :shock:
K Hale

Postby Davy on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:28 am

K Hale wrote:That is one feral-looking Bowie. :shock:

Yepper now iffen someone had just given him a bit of a harcut! :lol:

Davy
Davy

PreviousNext

Return to Alamo Village Brackettville.