ALAMO: THE PRICE OF FREEDOM (1987)

Alamo Village Then & Now.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: ALAMO: THE PRICE OF FREEDOM (1987)

Postby AlamoAaron on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:21 am

NefariousNed wrote:Image
Falling back across the San Antonio River.

I dare say, the San Antonio river/bridge looked a bit more impressive in the 2004 Alamo than here... :?
AlamoAaron

Postby AlamoAaron on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:23 am

Seguin wrote:He looks much older than Crockett´s 49 years. :o - But I guess Brian Keith has made a precedence for old actors playing Crockett. :D

Well, you know, in my opinion, he looks YOUNGER than Brian Keith...and the fact that he wasn't going bald helped, too. ;)
AlamoAaron

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:34 am

AlamoAaron wrote:
Falling back across the San Antonio River.

I dare say, the San Antonio river/bridge looked a bit more impressive in the 2004 Alamo than here... :?

Aaron, I think the jury is still out on how the bridge of 1836 actually looked. As for the "river", the production team for APOF actually dug
a circular trench and then had pumps circulating the water so that the "river" would be constantly flowing. A few months after the film
wrapped, Happy Shahan had the river filled in once more. If you visit the spot just outside Alamo Village proper today, there are still traces
of where the APOF river once was.
The "river" being filled in, 1987.

As for THE ALAMO 2004, the bridge was built across a little creek far to narrow for even the San Antonio River.
SanAntonioRiverBridgeAlamo2004.jpg
SanAntonioRiverBridgeAlamo2004.jpg (42.45 KiB) Viewed 6210 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:13 am

The Alamo '04 bridge was designed based on Gary Zaboly's drawing in Blood of Noble Men. That, in turn, was an interpretation of the drawing of a broken down bridge at the actual site that was done by William Bollaert in 1843. It is possible that it was the original 1836 bridge, even though flood waters took out bridges at this spot pretty regularly. However, this seems to have been a wagon bridge, and contemporary accounts refer to it as a footbridge -- and in one case, a fallen tree by which people could cross the river. The Imax footbridge design at Alamo Village appears to have been based on the bridge drawn by LaBastida on the actual map he created for Santa Anna, so there is arguable logic for their building it the way it appears in photo. On The Alamo '04, production designer Michael Corenblith chose to follow Gary's lead (a viable concept) because it also provided the production company with a greatly needed bridge for movie vans and cars to quickly buzz back and forth between sets without having to negotiate the gully or go all the way around it. So, historically, both styles of movie bridges are routed in genuine historical possibility. Ned said it best (and with fewer words -- LOL). "The jury is still out."
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoAaron on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:59 am

Finally saw this...very well done, especially the death of Crockett. Wasn't too impressed with Bowie, though. Good movie overall.
AlamoAaron

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:37 am

AlamoAaron wrote:Finally saw this...very well done, especially the death of Crockett. Wasn't too impressed with Bowie, though. Good movie overall.

Me neither. Terrible "actor" for Bowie. I didn't even care for Crockett. It was a political move. The non-actor was Merrill Connally and was Governor John Connally's brother -- it was just as stupid (IMO) as Wayne having the first real dialog in his epic movie delivered by acting incompetent Bill Daniel, Gov. Price Daniel's brother. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoAaron on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:30 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
AlamoAaron wrote:Finally saw this...very well done, especially the death of Crockett. Wasn't too impressed with Bowie, though. Good movie overall.

Me neither. Terrible "actor" for Bowie. I didn't even care for Crockett. It was a political move. The non-actor was Merrill Connally and was Governor John Connally's brother -- it was just as stupid (IMO) as Wayne having the first real dialog in his epic movie delivered by acting incompetent Bill Daniel, Gov. Price Daniel's brother. :roll:

Well, I don't think Bill Daniel did that bad of a job...better than Brian Keith... ;)
AlamoAaron

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:37 am

Well, no. Brian Keith could at least act, even if he wasn't right for the part and didn't care.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:40 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Well, no. Brian Keith could at least act, even if he wasn't right for the part and didn't care.

I would've been happy if he had just played Henry Frapp at the Alamo.
Attachments
BrianKeith-HenryFrapp.jpg
BrianKeith-HenryFrapp.jpg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby DocWylie on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:10 am

I kinda liked Merrill Connally as Crockett...in a blowhard sort of way. I didn't know the connection to John Connally though. Now, the next time I watch it that's all I'll be thinking of. :lol:
DocWylie

Postby gtj222 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:38 am

Actually Merrill Connally was in a few really good movies. Rush, with Jason Patrick (Jim Bowie in 2004 Alamo), Heaven and Hell, North vs South, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and The Sugarland Express. And a few more.
gtj222

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:49 am

The flying buttresses on the granary at Mission San Jose influecned the one at the back of the Alamo church in "Alamo, The Price Of Freedom".
NefariousNed

Postby Rick on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:59 am

RLC-GTT wrote:

"Doo pawdun, General Hewstun. May Ah owa-duh the men to bivowak? These las' too foahced mahchez rathuh took it out a them."
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby gtj222 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:03 am

Actually Merrill Connally was in a few really good movies. Rush, with Jason Patrick (Jim Bowie in 2004 Alamo), Heaven and Hell, North vs South, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and The Sugarland Express. And a few more.
gtj222

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:11 am

And his delivery of the line "Ahd lahk ta point out, suh, that Col. Boie has a hundred volunteers, wheaas young Travis hearh has less than thety regulars" was delivered with the talent of an amateur trying to remember his line. I'm sure that this -- in the opening scene of the movie -- caused some folks to get up and walk out.
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoAaron on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:12 am

So, I'm under the impression that Governor Connolly wasn't too popular...
AlamoAaron

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:19 am

The governor probably was, but this was his brother -- who was governor of Guam by appointment. Just wasn't an actor. Wayne placed him in the film because of political connections and because he was the link to getting the Texas Longhorns from ranchers. That's all fine, but, for goodness sakes, don't give him major dialog and an up-front position -- in the opening scene. As Michael Wayne said in the video, "My dad was loyal to a fault. If you were his friend, you could do no wrong."
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:34 am

Free-Holy Beans.
NefariousNed

Postby DocWylie on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:23 am

He wore a nice jacket, though. :lol:
DocWylie

Postby NefariousNed on Sun May 08, 2016 12:03 pm

The freshly stretched cowhide barricade that blocked the doorway of the Alamo church in APOF.
With Charlie Morfin Jr., Jack Edmondson, and Charlie Morfin Sr.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sun May 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Bill Chemerka in the Crockett outfit. He would be doubling for Merrill Connolly as Crockett's body in the
blowing up of the church doorway barricade in APOF. (Is that Beekeeper's keg to the left there?!)
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 09, 2016 10:55 pm

Sure looks like a smaller version of Beekeeper's keg. "Flies in the buttermilk! One-half by one-half!" :lol:

And Bill looks like Crockett's saying, "What am I doing here?"
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:21 am

Larry Grimsley as a soldado.
Attachments
APOFShako.jpg
APOFShako.jpg (128.41 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:18 pm

In this chaotic scene near the finale of the film, Mexican soldiers peal away from the vicinity of the church doorway as the 18 pounder is
about to be fired at the barricade that is blocking the passage. Larry, Jerry, Craig, and I were among the soldados on the palisade side
of the doorway and later collected souvenirs of the blasted door frame, as plaster shards and slivers had flown everywhere in the set
pyrotechnic discharge.
Attachments
AlamoThePriceOfFreedomBattleFinale.jpg
AlamoThePriceOfFreedomBattleFinale.jpg (55.97 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
NefariousNed

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:22 am

NefariousNed wrote:In this chaotic scene near the finale of the film, Mexican soldiers peal away from the vicinity of the church doorway as the 18 pounder is
about to be fired at the barricade that is blocking the passage. Larry, Jerry, Craig, and I were among the soldados on the palisade side
of the doorway and later collected souvenirs of the blasted door frame, as plaster shards and slivers had flown everywhere in the set
pyrotechnic discharge.

Ned, sounds like you guys had a real blast.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby AlamoAaron on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:23 am

NefariousNed wrote:In this chaotic scene near the finale of the film, Mexican soldiers peal away from the vicinity of the church doorway as the 18 pounder is
pyrotechnic discharge.

In "Alamo Movies" Frank Thompson mentions that in a scene where the chapel doors are shot away that a stuntman's face was ripped by a wire. Remember or hear of that?
AlamoAaron

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:36 am

AlamoAaron wrote:
pyrotechnic discharge.

In "Alamo Movies" Frank Thompson mentions that in a scene where the chapel doors are shot away that a stuntman's face was ripped by a wire. Remember or hear of that?

Yes, in the smoke, darkness, and confusion we blindly ran right by him up the ramp, oblivious to his condition. I believe he had to be airlifted to hospital.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:52 am

Colonel Davy wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:Oh, and the Casey Biggs Travis shot gun is the property of Colonel Davy Mocniak. You'll have to ask him how he acquired it.
Jerry Laing, holding the shotgun that Casey Biggs used as Travis in APOF.

Regarding the Travis Casey Biggs shotgun from APOF, I purchased it through Kevin Young, when he was the manager of the IMAX bookstore. He was handling the sale for the actual owner. I acquired the shotgun in the summer of 1990. The last time Kevin attended "High Holy" days before his untimely passing, he was in the company of Casey Biggs and I arranged for a photo to be signed in order to accompany the shotgun display. I also asked Kevin if the weapon had appeared in the T.V. mini- series Texas. He replied in the affirmative. By the way Ned, nice photo of Jerry!---- Colonel Davy

I wonder who ended up with Colonel Davy's APOF Travis shotgun?
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:55 am

Looking from the north transept towards the cannon ramp in the apse prior to filming.
Attachments
APOF-ChurchInterior1.jpg
APOF-ChurchInterior1.jpg (148.58 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:35 am

Another view of the apse cannon battery in the APOF Alamo church. Note the cannon tube lying half-way down the ramp.
Attachments
APOF-ChurchInterior2.jpg
APOF-ChurchInterior2.jpg (101.08 KiB) Viewed 4430 times
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Great pix, Ned. And I love the moodiness of the light and all that rough earth.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Original APOF Souvenir Booklet and 25th Anniversary edition.
Attachments
APOFSouvenirBooklet.jpg
APOFSouvenirBooklet.jpg (174.27 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
APOF-25ththAnniversaryBooklet.jpg
APOF-25ththAnniversaryBooklet.jpg (115.38 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:14 am

Well, so much for the place where they actually filmed it. And a morphed image of the real Alamo to boot. Squeezed horizontally. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Thirty years later it continues to inspire.
Attachments
APOF-ExpressNews.jpg
APOF-ExpressNews.jpg (19.71 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
NefariousNed

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:43 pm

Hate to admit it, I've never seen the Price of Freedom. I'll make time for it this year.
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:28 pm

You'd better!
RLC-GTT

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:40 am

SantaClaus wrote:Hate to admit it, I've never seen the Price of Freedom. I'll make time for it this year.

Santa, it's time you gave yourself a Christmas present. See it.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby SantaClaus on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:34 pm

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
SantaClaus wrote:Hate to admit it, I've never seen the Price of Freedom. I'll make time for it this year.

Santa, it's time you gave yourself a Christmas present. See it.

Not only did I see it twice during my week-long HHD's visit to San Antonio, I came back on Saturday, March 11, with my wife and her daughter and our granddaughter, and we all watched it together, for my 3rd time. This was a day trip, for my grade 3 granddaughter who is required to visit museums and give in-class reports. We started things off with the "Battle for Texas Experience" at 10 a.m., at the IMAX "Alamo: The Price of Freedom" at 11, followed by a visit to the Alamo, with me as their tour guide. They got the whole deal, including a complete walk of the Alamo perimeter, visits to the Alamo church, the gift shop diorama, and the long barrack with its short movie. I had prepared her for the visit during the drive down from Austin. My stepdaughter drove, and I gave a mini lecture in the back seat, using George Nelson's "The Alamo. An Illustrated History" and Stephen Hardin's "The Alamo 1836, Santa Anna's Texas Campaign" as visual aides.
That little girl was plum tuckered out by the time we drove home, and fell asleep wearing her new coonskin cap in the car. I think "Alamo: The Price of Freedom" was the best visual aid of all. I really like that movie. I know my granddaughter liked it, and I know that she will always remember the Alamo.
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:27 am

And you heard Bill Chemerka in Price of Freedom give his Waynamo "homage" line: "Crockett! North wall!!!" :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:43 am

RLC-GTT wrote:And you heard Bill Chemerka in Price of Freedom give his Waynamo "homage" line: "Crockett! North wall!!!" :lol:

Yep, I heard him say it, loud and clear. I was so into the movie that, when I heard Bill's. "Crockett! North wall!!", I instinctively stood up and turned to the rows of people behind me and shouted, "Half of you men, throw up a barricade here! Throw up a barricade!" Then I shouted a command to Loretta. She yelled back, "No, I'm not going to guard the front gate, and don't call me 'Bee-Keeper',...hiccup!...Excuse me.'". :lol:
SantaClaus

PreviousNext

Return to Alamo Village Brackettville.