TRAVIS (aka The Cost Of Freedom) (1991)

Alamo Village Then & Now.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: TRAVIS (aka The Cost Of Freedom) (1991)

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:48 am

RLC-GTT wrote: I do not know who the reenactment coordinator was. Kevin?

Go back and read the credits. You are a credit-reader, aren't you? ;)
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Nefarious wrote:How did the reenactors get chosen for this project, Rich? I never even heard of it until years later.

Um.... Do you read credits??? :lol: It says, "Kevin Young, Coordinator." That is how the reenactors got chosen. LOL.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Seriously, a movie company selects key people. Those key people select their crews, usually based on past experiences and dependability.
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:54 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Seriously, a movie company selects key people. Those key people select their crews, usually based on past experiences and dependability.

Well then THERE goes the neighborhood! :o :x :twisted:
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:11 am

:lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:11 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
Nefarious wrote:How did the reenactors get chosen for this project, Rich? I never even heard of it until years later.

Um.... Do you read credits??? :lol: It says, "Kevin Young, Coordinator." That is how the reenactors got chosen. LOL.

Hah! Touche'! You got me there, Rich. I reckon Kevin was just recruiting from amongst the locals.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:17 am

Nefarious wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:

Hah! Touche'! You got me there, Rich. I reckon Kevin was just recruiting from amongst the locals.

... be at ease for he is amongst us! :o :twisted:
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:18 am

I was a-hopin he'd chime in!
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 pm

I know this has been on before, but I thought some might not have seen it. The trailer for Travis (now called The Cost of Freedom) shot at Alamo Village when Happy Shahan was still alive. It was a well-done docudrama about 45 minutes long. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IahaoU7IgI
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:27 am

NefariousNed wrote:Thanks to tman, here's promotional trailer for THE COST OF FREEDOM: http://youtu.be/6IahaoU7IgI

Watched this again tonight. It was great seeing Rich, Jack, Benton, and Kevin in action, as well as the
set being utilized so well.

The reason, "Cost Of Freedom" is a tad pricey is that it is meant as a scholastic tool for history teachers
and contains a separate disc of quizzes, essay questions and teacher tips. It was never meant to be viewed
by the general public. Ever have to buy a text book for class?They are a bit pricey. So just consider "Cost
Of Freedom" as a sort of video textbook.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:47 am

This was produced in 1991 by Grace Products Corporation of Richardson, Texas, with a grant from a Dallas organization. The original title was "Travis." It was created as a video for schools to use to promote the use of the public library -- books! The young girl playing the lead (who gets propelled back to the battle of the Alamo every time she opens the book on Travis in her very weird public library) is the director's daughter -- and was quite capable in the part and professional. Benton was a good Travis. I ran the video later for friend Frank Dobbs (writer and associate producer of "Gone to Texas"), and he was very impressed with the quality of the battle using so few reenactors. He said he wanted some of his colleagues to see it to finally understand (1) what a real rendering reenactors could give rather than costumed extras and (2) how genuine a film battle could be with so few people if only they would use full battle sound effects rather than just the on-camera guns going off. This was an all-night shoot -- one night only. Happy checked in on the company in early evening and the director went to him and said, "You're a good Baptist. Pray for no rain for us tonight." Without missing a beat, Happy responded, "I'm a better rancher. I'm praying for rain."
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:51 am

One of the key people responsible for landing the grant and urging that the company contact Happy about using Alamo Village was Harold Byrd, who owns the ranch then connected to the Shahan Ranch on the south -- and much of the Greenville Avenue - Lover's Lane area of Dallas. He also started the Biblical Arts Center in Dallas, according to what I understand. Harold's wife is a Menger, and his late brother was Carruth Byrd, a high-roller in Dallas.
RLC-GTT

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:10 am

Wow, never seen that before. Thought it was quite good and well played by all, especially the young lady. Thanks for posting it, Ned. Rich, thanks for commenting on it. I enjoyed that very much.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:54 am

I got to play a cameo as Dr. Pollard -- digging a bullet out of a poor unfortunate volunteer with a Bowie Knife. Fortunately, the gruesome part was only shown by a shadow on the wall.
RLC-GTT

Previous

Return to Alamo Village Brackettville.