NEW ALAMO VILLAGE PAGE ON FACEBOOK

Alamo Village Then & Now.

Moderator: NefariousNed

NEW ALAMO VILLAGE PAGE ON FACEBOOK

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:13 am

Penny Campbell-Loewen (a past employee of Alamo Village and colleague) has just created ALAMO VILLAGE REUNION, a new page on FACEBOOK. It is designed as a reminiscence of the place, the people and the legacy. Lots of wonderful pictures (please do not pilfer). Do check it out. The link is:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alamo-Vil ... 7331212610
RLC-GTT

Re: NEW ALAMO VILLAGE PAGE ON FACEBOOK

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:19 am

Nice Rich. So, how does one become a friend with the page so that they can post photos and stories?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:04 pm

I just saw it on Facebook and signed up. Lots of great photos there!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:49 pm

But how do you join? Merely clicking that you "Like" something does not make you a member---or do it?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Nefarious wrote:Nice Rich. So, how does one become a friend with the page so that they can post photos and stories?

Ain't sure. I think all you have to do is click the button that says you "like" it. Penny's not sure. She said she was having mucho troublo setting it up -- thought she failed until a few responded that we could see the photos. She's still working at it and said she's got a lot more photos to post. As my Alamo Village world has been movies and the Alamo, Penny's has been Country & Western music and singing. Happy managed her for a while. She is a fantastic song-writer and singer herself and has continued to write and peddal her works to major singers in Nashville.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:40 pm

Penny's definitely having trouble setting this (these) up, and I would only confuse the issue if I tried to explain it. That said, I think she set up two pages. One is "Alamo Village" and is for all rememberances. The other is "Alamo Village Reunion" and is for past employees (a spin-off of her webpage by the same name). Thus, while all are welcome, our goofy (my word) John Wayne one-liner repartee is out of place there. Waiting to see what Penny solves, and anybody who might be able to help her, jump in with suggestions. I just don't understand Facebook -- and I'm beginning to think I don't want to bother figuring it out.
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm not a fan of facebook. Had to have my computer cleaned twice from a virus that could only have come from there. It's the ads that get you and if you click the wrong place to delete ad, you're in a world of hurt.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby AlamoMo on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:35 pm

I know where your coming from on this
" Facebook " deal Ron !!!!

It was only last year that mine and Gill's
account along with a few of our friends
over here had the accounts hacked into
and the problems that caused were beyond
a joke and since then we have left " Facebook "
well alone.
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Seguin on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:09 am

Nefarious wrote:But how do you join? Merely clicking that you "Like" something does not make you a member---or do it?

For all intents and purposes it does. I believe it´s got something to do with how to set up the page. By using the "Like" option you indicate it´s a sort of a fan page. One could use the "Membership" model instead though. I think it´s up to the creator of the page which model to use, but may also have something to do with Facebook´s rules for setting up the various models. At least the way a page works is the same regardless of the model.

It was only last year that mine and Gill's
account along with a few of our friends
over here had the accounts hacked into
and the problems that caused were beyond
a joke and since then we have left " Facebook "
well alone.

Tell me about it! Somebody hacked my account once and started to make posts on my friends pages in my name saying they could buy legal herbs to smoke at a specific website, and recently I kept getting fake messages from an Alamo buff saying I could get a free Iphone if clicked on the link to a certain webpage. Not to mention our fellow forum member,Alamo Al, who´s computer died after getting a virus on Facebook. All I can say is, do not click on anything on Facebook if you´re in the least bit in doubt if it´s legit! That said, most of the time Facebook works just fine, but like everywhere else on the internet there´s always the risk of catching a virus or getting hacked.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:33 am

Here's another Alamo Village tribute page on Facebook, "Save The Duke's Alamo Film Site".
Some of us here are already there. But for those of you who aren't, have a look-see.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/278810036458/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:54 am

NefariousNed wrote:Here's another Alamo Village tribute page on Facebook, "Save The Duke's Alamo Film Site".
Some of us here are already there. But for those of you who aren't, have a look-see.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/278810036458/

It was started by friend Grady Bishop, who worked with me in the early eighties at Big D, Texas, the fast-foods version of Alamo Village and Old Tucson near Ferris, 16 miles S.E. of Dallas. He later worked for Happy Shahan at Alamo Village for part of a summer and then began to actively pursue a career as a stunt man and stunt coordinator for movies, TV and theme parks. His lifetime idols have been folks like Dean Smith, Chuck Roberson, Jocko Mahoney, Harry Carey, Jr., and of course John Wayne and John Ford.
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Not a bad list of Idols....True American Idols! :D
cc nolen

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:15 am

And Grady got to work with some of them too.
RLC-GTT

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:39 am

Whenever I see someone names Grady, I immediately think of Rod Taylor's character in The Train Robbers. His name was Grady and I thought the best character in the movie. "something to do".
TexianAtHeartII

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:29 pm

https://www.facebook.com/AlamoVillage

Here's an Alamo Village Facebook page that I just became aware of. (Created September 15, 2015) A fundraiser, no less. Their goal seems to be $200,000. That's a spit
in the ocean to the amount that will actually be needed to even begin restoration, let alone purchase the Village. Do you know the Darrell Balli who is behind this page,
Rich? And who would be needed on board to even authorize such a fundraiser? Treva?

EDIT: I did a little online research on Darrell Balli: Darrell Balli is listed as a Director with Amx/Abe-Reimers, Inc in Texas. The address on file for this person is P. O.
Box 180123, Austin, TX 78718 in Travis County.

Is it a coincidence that Mr. Balli works for a Reimers, the family associated with the Alamo set in Dripping Springs?
Attachments
SaveAlamoVillageFacebookPage1.jpg
SaveAlamoVillageFacebookPage1.jpg (100.31 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
SaveAlamoVillageFacebookPage2.jpg
SaveAlamoVillageFacebookPage2.jpg (118.93 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
NefariousNed

Postby MartyB on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:58 pm

It reeks of S-C-A-M...
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:27 am

I thought more people on this forum would be curious about such a Facebook page asking for money to save Alamo Village.

Here's a "visitor" post I made on the page. Wonder if it will get deleted?
Attachments
SaveAlamoVillagePost.jpg
SaveAlamoVillagePost.jpg (60.19 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:18 am

I saw this already, and it definitely has nothing to do with us. ALAMO VILLAGE DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS FUND-RAISER. Neither did David Jones.
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:33 pm

It indeed smells of a " Scam " but please be careful until someone involved comes forward
to actually explain their reasons for trying to raise such an amount of cash.

Regards

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:19 pm

AlamoMo wrote:It indeed smells of a " Scam " but please be careful until someone involved comes forward
to actually explain their reasons for trying to raise such an amount of cash.

Regards

Mo

Thanks, Mo. Good suggestion.
RLC-GTT

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:23 am

That does sound like a scam, but the GoFundMe site is legit. A lot of people are using it to raise money for loved ones funeral expenses and such when they can't afford it themselves. I even have a relative who started a campaign on there for people to fund her so she could buy a car. I didn't donate and from what I heard, she was successful, got the car and either her or her boyfriend wrecked it. I guess some have legit reasons to raise money on there, but you're sure gonna get your share of nitwits looking for a few bucks for any old reason they can think of. And you're most certainly going to see scammers trying to pull fast ones and take advantage of peoples giving nature.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:02 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:I saw this already, and it definitely has nothing to do with us. ALAMO VILLAGE DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS FUND-RAISER. Neither did David Jones.

Rich, Ned, anybody else,
Is there anything new to report concerning that SAVE ALAMO VILLAGE site? I've read your comments above, and saw Rich's post to the site making it crystal clear that it's not authorized by the Shahan owners. Ned, You said that the guy is somebody that works for the Dripping Springs set owners, or at least is using his name. Has anyone called that telephone number or written to the P.O. Box address that you found?
Let me know if there's any updates.
Richard McC
p.s. If this is a scam, someone needs to be chastised.
SantaClaus

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:18 pm

"Save Alamo Village" says they are working with David Jones.
Attachments
SaveAlamoVillageFacebookPage.jpg
SaveAlamoVillageFacebookPage.jpg (35.92 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:41 am

RLC-GTT wrote:I saw this already, and it definitely has nothing to do with us. ALAMO VILLAGE DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS FUND-RAISER. Neither did David Jones.
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:32 pm

This just gets more interesting and interesting as it goes along !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Seguin on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:06 am

Take him up on his offer to talk to him and David Jones on the phone and see what happens. ;)
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Return to Alamo Village Brackettville.