EVOLUTION OF THE BOWIE KNIFE

Archivist John Farkis.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: EVOLUTION OF THE BOWIE KNIFE

Postby K Hale on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

cc nolen wrote:Bowie Display in the Old Alamo Library.
Took a while, but we got permission to take some photos....but then it was too dark. :roll:

Aw man! I asked the guy for permission but was denied. :/
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

K Hale wrote:
Took a while, but we got permission to take some photos....but then it was too dark. :roll:

A rule in progress?
RLC-GTT

Postby K Hale on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
K Hale wrote:

A rule in progress?

Maybe. I even asked if it was OK to take photos without flash. Dude said no photos.
K Hale

Postby cc nolen on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 pm

We had to go get Dr Winders. The Folks at Blade Mag. and Knife Mag. had asked if we could get some pics. They are trying to do a story on the exhibit.
To bad we didnt have a good camera...just a cell phone, and it was too dark. :(
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Grand Opening is this Sunday with ribbon cutting and cake. Perhaps they will be lax on photo restrictions.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby K Hale on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 pm

cc nolen wrote:We had to go get Dr Winders. The Folks at Blade Mag. and Knife Mag. had asked if we could get some pics. They are trying to do a story on the exhibit.
To bad we didnt have a good camera...just a cell phone, and it was too dark. :(

That's what I need, a media badge! 8-)
K Hale

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:04 am

Good idea!
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:00 am

The one in the middle looks a bit weird or atypical for a Bowie knife. It´s probably pretty rare.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Seguin wrote:

The one in the middle looks a bit weird or atypical for a Bowie knife. It´s probably pretty rare.

Those made by Samuel Bell are all very rare. He was famous for making the small dirk or dagger style knife. His workmanship was second to none.
His knives are sought after by collectors all over the World.
I have held the big one at the top. It use to belong to Mark Zalesky. He was kind enough to let me inspect the beauty in Natchez a few years back.
Chris...
Attachments
natchez # 3.JPG
natchez # 3.JPG (121.52 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Hey!! I just noticed my mug shot (Avatar) is gone! :o ...Guess folks got tired of looking at it and did away with it??? :shock:
Didnt mean to continue to scare folks but its the only face I have. At least I'm not two faced or I wouldnt have used that one!!! :lol: :lol:
What happened Ned? duhhh?
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby K Hale on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:33 pm

I can see it. Same one as always. Not scary, ha!
K Hale

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:16 pm

I can still see it, too, Chris. Perhaps it's merely a temporary tear in the space-time continuum. Happens all the time. It's caused by alien space ships that travel faster than the speed of light.
I met a space alien once. I expected him to have green or light gray skin, but he was as dark as life guard in the middle of a hot summer. So, I asked him about his skin color, and here's what he said.
SPACE ALIEN: "I'M TAN FROM THE SUN."
RICHARD: "I'M RICHARD FROM THE EARTH."
Space aliens are everywhere. I bet one even went to see the Bowie knife exhibition at the Alamo. Then again, maybe I've been in the sun too long. :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby cc nolen on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:53 pm

That's strange...I don't see it anymore. Hmmm, You may be right Richard. 8-)
Just a square that says Avatar on it.
Are those guys green or yellow Richard? :roll: ....Only me :shock:
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:18 pm

cc nolen wrote:That's strange...I don't see it anymore. Hmmm, You may be right Richard. 8-)
Just a square that says Avatar on it.
Are those guys green or yellow Richard? :roll: ....Only me :shock:

Are you on your home computer, or Ipad and smart phone? I know when my old dinosaur PC is running slow, picture images will take a long time to load.

Now, back to Bowie knives.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:06 pm

Seguin wrote:The one in the middle looks a bit weird or atypical for a Bowie knife. It´s probably pretty rare.

cc nolen wrote:Those made by Samuel Bell are all very rare. He was famous for making the small dirk or dagger style knife. His workmanship was second to none.
I have held the big one at the top. It use to belong to Mark Zalesky. He was kind enough to let me inspect the beauty in Natchez a few years back.
Chris...

That is really cool. 8-) I don't think I've every held in my hand anything worthy of being put on display in a museum. However, I must tell you that the knife you gave me is kept next to a John Wayne photo on a living room shelf. Every visitor to my house is shown that knife, and then I show them the picture of John Wayne which I always say is a picture of my father. That big knife usually draws an expression of awe, and the picture of "my father" usually brings on a grin. :D
SantaClaus

Postby Seguin on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:47 am

cc nolen wrote:
Seguin wrote:

Those made by Samuel Bell are all very rare. He was famous for making the small dirk or dagger style knife. His workmanship was second to none.
Chris...

I´ll bet one of his knives cost a few hundred bucks (cough-cough). It sure looks special. I wonder if it feels good holding it since the handle is a bit special too.

Hey!! I just noticed my mug shot (Avatar) is gone! :o ...Guess folks got tired of looking at it and did away with it??? :shock:
Didnt mean to continue to scare folks but its the only face I have. At least I'm not two faced or I wouldnt have used that one!!! :lol: :lol:
What happened Ned? duhhh?
Chris...

Don´t worry, Chris! Your avatar is two faced as always. :D
Attachments
Chris-Avatar4.jpg
Chris-Avatar4.jpg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:43 pm

Jack and I have had a few conversations about handles of knives made before the Civil War. A lot of the real artistic style knives have rather small handles.
Maybe it is because we are larger now?
The Bell Bowies all have rather small handles. The one I am having copied is not too small but sill smaller than one would think with a 13 inch blade.
Chris...
PS: check out this one... :D
Attachments
Capture.JPGsam bell 1.JPG
Capture.JPGsam bell 1.JPG (49.32 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
cc nolen

Postby Seguin on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:05 am

It looks absolutely great!

The Bell Bowies all have rather small handles. The one I am having copied is not too small but sill smaller than one would think with a 13 inch blade.

No reason to make a handle larger than necessary. Of course, a handle should fit a large hand too.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:04 pm

A lot of Samuel Bell's work was on silver and art knives. Some look like daggers. ;)
Attachments
hans dirk.JPG
hans dirk.JPG (50.56 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Seguin wrote:It looks absolutely great!

No reason to make a handle larger than necessary. Of course, a handle should fit a large hand too.

I think Chris was mentioning the handle because the ones on the Musso Bowie, Sweet Bowie, and Neill Bowie are all unusually large.
Attachments
MussoBowieKnife.jpg
MussoBowieKnife.jpg (100.85 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
WilliamSweetKnife.jpg
WilliamSweetKnife.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
NeillBowieKnife.jpg
NeillBowieKnife.jpg (17.82 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks Ned....You are correct. Maybe it was just the different makers. It seems the same maker made the Musso
and Neill Knives but the W O Sweet Knife is different in many ways. It uses iron fittings instead of brass and the
handle is oak, not maple. The blade has a little different shape, but this could be from more use.

Some of the Searles and Schively knives have smaller handles as well as most of the Sheffield Knives that hit the US
during the late 1830s. Some of these had real small handles. Some local Blacksmith made knives were very big, like
the Ables # 1 as you can see below in the picture. Enjoy.
Chris...
Attachments
a 3.JPG
a 3.JPG (34.56 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
cc nolen

Postby The Colonel on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Bell Bowies are an interesting subset of the Bowie Knife world. The 2014 Bowie Knife exhibit at the Historic Arkansas State Museum had something like eight Bell Bowies on display. Samuel Bell was originally from Pennsylvania, born in 1798. He moved from Pittsburgh to Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1819. In 1851 he relocated to San Antonio, Texas. Bell and his two sons established what was to become known as the Bell Jewelry Company. Samuel Bell died in 1882 and is buried in San Antonio City Cemetery No.1. (On Commerce Street, across from the site of the Powder House.) Legend has it that at San Jacinto Sam Houston wore a pair of silver spurs made by Samuel Bell during his Knoxville days.

Mark Zalesky said that the building where Samuel Bell had his first San Antonio shop is still standing on East Commerce Street. When crossing the San Antonio River heading towards San Fernando Church, it is the first building on the right (north side of East Commerce and west side of the river). I don’t believe I have any photos but here is something from Google Earth. Notice the proximity to the site of the Veramendi home on Soledad Street.

BellShop-1.jpg
BellShop-1.jpg (109.02 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

I am only approximating the location of the Veramendi home. The structure actually went into what is now Soledad Street.
See the Veramendi Palace topic for more accurate information.

BellShop-2.jpg
BellShop-2.jpg (107.38 KiB) Viewed 1441 times

I had intended to look into this location further while in San Antonio, but didn't get around to it--although I've walked past it many times.
Can't help but think I ought to buy something from here.
Do not be uneasy about me. I am among friends.
The Colonel

Location: Between Possum Kingdom & Hickory Tavern, South Carolina

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:58 pm

Nice post, Colonel Corwyn!

More knives here,Chris: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=214&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=680#p172526
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:40 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Nice post, Colonel Corwyn!

More knives here,Chris: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=214&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=680#p172526

Thanks Ned....the 2 Coffin Handle Knives on the left in the photo are really nice. Thanks for taking time to photo these. Everyone loves Bowie Knives....as you can tell by the new Exhibit. :D
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Seems like all the new Knife Makers go with some sort of re-curve design in their blade. The
Great Louisiana Maker, Shiva Ki did this many years ago, and still says the sharpest blades
have the dip in the blade. His knives are scarey sharp!
I will always love making the replicas of old antique knives, but this new stuff interest me to
no end. Pretty, too. :D
Attachments
abc 5.JPG
abc 5.JPG (66.36 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:23 pm

From The Master: Shiva Ki. - as the guy on the new History Channel Show says: " It will Kill! " ** By the way, it comes on tonight (Forged in Fire) and starts a new season on the 11th. :D Check it out if you have the History Channel.
Attachments
Capture.JPGshiva ki.JPG
Capture.JPGshiva ki.JPG (46.19 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Well, I have all the info on my project after the Bell Bowie is complete. It will be the Congreve - Sheffield Bowie from the 1830s.
My Old Pal, Bob Giles will be the Smith on this beauty. It has a 12 inch blade and a 4 3/4 in handle of cow horn. More to come as it gets under way.
Chris...
Attachments
con-bowie.JPG
con-bowie.JPG (44.94 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Looking the other way.
Mark Zalesky reminded me it was number two in Bob Abel's Bowie Knife book and low and behold there it was, right next to the famous Abel's # 1. So I had all the info on the knife in one source. That does not happen often... Thanks Mark Z.
Attachments
con-bowie 2.JPG
con-bowie 2.JPG (40.97 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
cc nolen

Postby Seguin on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 am

cc nolen wrote:Well, I have all the info on my project after the Bell Bowie is complete. It will be the Congreve - Sheffield Bowie from the 1830s.
My Old Pal, Bob Giles will be the Smith on this beauty. It has a 12 inch blade and a 4 3/4 in handle of cow horn. More to come as it gets under way.
Chris...

It looks great! The blade is almost as long as the one on the Musso Bowie which i believe is 13 3/4 inches.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Correct again Hans. This blade has that sway in it as well....which is rare for the 1830s.
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Well, my Sam Bell Blade is forged and looking good. Still a long way to go. :D
Attachments
bell 11.JPG
bell 11.JPG (162.9 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:41 pm

What's the story with this knife, Chris? Is it a Rezin Bowie presentation knife?

(From Real West Magazine, July, 1960, pg. 53)
Attachments
ThomasTunstallBowie.jpg
ThomasTunstallBowie.jpg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 929 times
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:00 am

NefariousNed wrote:What's the story with this knife, Chris? Is it a Rezin Bowie presentation knife?

(From Real West Magazine, July, 1960, pg. 53)

And who engraved it? It does´nt have to be Bowie. It could have been done at a much later date.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Known as the Tunstall Bowie it was made by James Black and presented to Tunstall by Rezin Bowie on the White River near Batesville AR.
The Knife was part of the beautiful exhibit that was put on at the Historic Arkansas Museum in Little Rock a couple of years back.
Seems each time the knife changed hands, the new owner had something engraved.
Beautiful guardless coffin Bowie Knife.
Chris...
Attachments
show 6.jpg
show 6.jpg (130.89 KiB) Viewed 833 times
cc nolen

Postby Seguin on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:22 am

Seems each time the knife changed hands, the new owner had something engraved.

I see! Funny, how each new owner had something engraved. I´ve never heard of such a thing before.

Beautiful guardless coffin Bowie Knife.

It somehow seems appropriate for a fighting knife to have a coffin-shaped handle. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:48 pm

I didnt have a very good Rio Grande Knife in My Collection so I had Lucas Bullington make me one. These knives were used a lot from the 1840s
and even up until present time. Some of the Conspirators that killed Lincoln carried this style knife and even John Wilkes Booth.
Nice work by Lucas Forge. Check him out if ya get the chance.
Chris...
Attachments
Capture.JPGrio 1.JPG
Capture.JPGrio 1.JPG (93.32 KiB) Viewed 701 times
cc nolen

Postby Seguin on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:06 am

It looks great. It sure got a wide blade.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Pretty much a straight spear pointed knife, but it sure has been popular for the last 160 years.
Attachments
camp8.JPG
camp8.JPG (43.98 KiB) Viewed 591 times
cc nolen

Postby Seguin on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:18 am

The shape of the knife on the right reminds me of a bayonet.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Fri May 05, 2017 3:17 pm

I was trying to get The Liver Eating Johnson Knife ready to give to John Hennant this past March. Mr John loves the old frontier mountain men and he gave me some written info on the knife that belonged to Johnson. Johnson was the wild Mountain Man which his stories inspired the movie, Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford in the lead role. We are now in touch with the Museum that holds the original and getting the specs on the knife. The build is on!
Chris...
Attachments
johnson.JPG
johnson.JPG (66.68 KiB) Viewed 449 times
cc nolen

PreviousNext

Return to Alamo Research.