Everything Travis

Archivist John Farkis.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Everything Travis

Postby K Hale on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Perhaps putting it in proper context where it can be understood will help people know better, instead of leaving it where people might be getting the wrong idea about what it is.
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby cc nolen on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 pm

K Hale wrote:Perhaps putting it in proper context where it can be understood will help people know better, instead of leaving it where people might be getting the wrong idea about what it is.

Good point - but, it seems to me that putting up a plaque or some sort of notice that the fight to continue Slavery was crushed, would be alot easier than tearing down monuments to Americans that fought and dyed for what they thought right. ALSO, please keep in mind. Slavery was legal when the war broke out.
Ive often wondered why it took so long for Abe to free the slaves? why didnt he do so in 60 when he was voted in?
I hate the very word, Slavery, but there was a lot of things going on during those times that folks turn away from now.
The Zulus had more slaves than the entire population of the South
The stronger African tribes sold natives to the Slave Traders
The Bowies brought new slaves into the country and were paid for catching runaways. They were not alone.
Our former Presidents and leaders owned Slaves.
I'll stop there, but the list is forever.
Chris...(if I forget; Happy Birthday on Friday! ) :D
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:12 pm

warren wrote:Your children and grandchildren are being taught by a generation of teachers and professors that hate America and Texas.

Warren; Everyone knows I get all bent out of shape every once in a while, but they know I'll think things through and log back on with a little more since. ;)
I have to say, we still have a lot of dedicated Teachers in our schools that teach our kids of today as well as they can. Some even go the extra mile.
I get asked from time to time to bring some Bowie Knives to our High Schools History Club meetings. I was shocked at the first time when I learned there were 328 kids in the History Club! :o Of course, we had a couple of Deputies because I deal in weapons, but the students were all very well taught and had a deep desire to learn of our Country's history. The Teachers I dealt with want to teach, as well. After I led off with Glenn Effiler's sound track of the Dawn Battle of the Alamo, you could hear a pin drop in the Auditorium. :D
Trust me Amigo, there is still a great will to learn in our Youth and thank God, a will to teach as well. :D
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby K Hale on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Rather than respond, I will just say.. I am tired. Tired of the same old shit.
K Hale

Postby K Hale on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:14 pm

Everything I say will just be a "liberal explanation," right?
K Hale

Postby cc nolen on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:20 pm

:o I'm surprised at you! Kristi Hale walking off from a fight! :lol:
If its true feelings then lay um out there! Doesnt matter if its liberal, conservative, or crazy! Just dont bean me with a piece of coal next time we see each other!
Did you not like my Slavery input, my spiff on teachers, or both??? :roll:
cc nolen

Postby K Hale on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:12 pm

cc nolen wrote:ALSO, please keep in mind. Slavery was legal when the war broke out.

What is the relevancy of this?

Ive often wondered why it took so long for Abe to free the slaves? why didnt he do so in 60 when he was voted in?

Because he had no authority to do anything of the kind.

I hate the very word, Slavery, but there was a lot of things going on during those times that folks turn away from now.
The Bowies brought new slaves into the country and were paid for catching runaways. They were not alone.

Again I must ask what the relevancy is?
K Hale

Postby cc nolen on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 pm

K Hale wrote:
cc nolen wrote:ALSO, please keep in mind. Slavery was legal when the war broke out.

What is the relevancy of this?

Because he had no authority to do anything of the kind.

Again I must ask what the relevancy is?

trying to point out that the Guys these statues honor were not breaking the law when they sided with Slavery.
He was President of the USA. He could have put forth a bill to Congress.
Just trying to get across that those times were different than today. Slavery was accepted in many parts of the world. Today its a curse, but it still happens.
cc nolen

Postby K Hale on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:06 pm

I just can't.
K Hale

Postby Buckshot on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:28 pm

There was a time when "liberalism" was encouraged, especially in our country. It stimulated one to engage in a debate examining both sides of a doctrine. It was a new concept, unique to the "American" colonies, as opposed to Europe. Any simple colonial could mount the stand in a public square and voice his opinion without fear of retribution or violence; free to criticise anything, including Her Majesty's governance. It should still be that way. William Penn was a great 'Liberal". He was the first White man of any importance who understood the ways of the Lenape people and advocated for them, and respected them.
What went wrong?
Buckshot

Postby cc nolen on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Maybe when we see each other again in March You can explain your point of view to me. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion. I know you get frustrated with some of my rants, and you may not believe this, but I value your opinion. Sometimes it has made me change my views on certain things.
I think if I was a Black Citizen I would not like the fact of honoring those that had my Ancestors in chains. I know I would be furious about the first Leaders of our Country being Slave Owners, but I would hope that I would understand we cant white wash our past.
Maybe the statues belong on the battlefields where those men fought and died for their beliefs, but not destroyed.
Have a nice day.
Chris...
PS: I pray it doesnt snow!! :shock:
Attachments
HH - 18.JPG
HH - 18.JPG (109.82 KiB) Viewed 580 times
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey!!! I just noticed, we match in the photo!!! :shock: ........ :lol: :lol:
cc nolen

Postby warren on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:37 pm

I regret posting my opinion above, because I posted in anger over something I had seen that very day, and it led to an unfair generalization. I will refrain from personal opinions on the board that aren't relevant to the topic. Back to Travis, but I have to see if I can get something scanned and posted correctly.
warren

Postby Seguin on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Whole thing reminds me of the USSR! They have been destroying Statues, Buildings, books, photos and much more for years!!

That´s true. I don´t know about statues but certainly churches and rewriting history leaving out communist who were seen as rebels and even deleting them from photos too. However, when the USSR was no more the Russians did away with the many statues of Lenin and Stalin, just like Iraq did away with statues of Saddam Hussein (you probably remember the footage of US soldiers tearing down a huge statue of Saddam, just like you probably remember footage of US soldiers blowing up huge Swastikas in Germany at the end of WW II). I´m not comparing confederate statues to those statues I´ve mentioned. I just want to point out getting rid of statues (and symbols) is not something new. In the case of the confederate statues they´ll only be moved to more suitable spots, not destroyed. So it´s a far cry from what happened in the USSR.

Hell Folks, we have people in our United States Congress who are making statements like: > I'm scared Trump is gonna get us in a War if Korea hits us with a Nuclear Bomb! WTF!!!

I find it hard to believe a Congressman said that because it does´nt make sense the US should´nt retaliate if it´s hit with a nuclear bomb. That would be like saying we won´t defend ourselves if we´re attacked. Who would say such a thing? But I don´t find it hard to believe if a Congressman said he feared Trump would start a (nuclear) war with North Korea. Many people fear, with good reason or not, Trump might start a war with North Korea.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:10 pm

I hope you are correct Hans, but I have not seen or heard of what is happening to these statues.
Now they are going after Jackson in the Square.
Nuts!
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby fjcamper on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Hiding and Revising History

Yes, it's old. Egyptian dynasties often destroyed images, plaques, etc., of the prior regime.

I first saw with my own eyes historical revisionism as a high school student in 1963, long before we were looking for such acts. My history book told me that at start of WWII, German invaded Poland from one side while Russian merely "occupied" the other side. Big difference in the subliminal impact between "invaded" and "occupied." After Korea, the American press began focusing on the evils of capitalism more than the evils of communism. The difference was not semantics. It was part of a attitude-changing of the public by the schoolbook publishers. At the student level.

Next, at the Moundsville Museum in Alabama, we had elaborate dioramas of DeSoto's troops attacking local Indian villages. And real, rusty Spanish breastplates and swords on display. I bought postcards of the diorama. Coming back years later, the diorama was gone. The armor and weapons were gone. Museum brochures now stated that DeSoto's men never got this far north. I asked the woman at the guest desk where did everything go? She told me she had no idea. She hadn't worked there that long.

Then, in a related incident, The Castillio at San Augustine FL had access to the old fort's dungeons, and lurid stories of the Indians and others who had died in them. On my subsequent visits, the dungeon access was blocked away, the signs about them were removed, and finally, an official story that bones found in the so-called dungeons were from animals. Finally, the dungeon access was buried and sodded, and the story was there were never any dungeons at all.

I later discovered -- right there in San Augustine -- how Moundsville and the Castillio histories were changed. The Spanish Cultural Embassy in San Augustine published records of grants to historical locales in the US and Mexico to improve and maintain them. The grants helped sanitize history.

The point here is revisionism is a constant. And it will be aimed at the Alamo.

Think truck or car bomb.

FJC
fjcamper

Postby Rick on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:21 pm

And many of those revisionists come armed with agendas and preconceived notions, especially the authors of history textbooks.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby Seguin on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:30 am

Rick wrote:And many of those revisionists come armed with agendas and preconceived notions, especially the authors of history textbooks.

A good example are the revisionist (pro Nazi) books which claim there were no gas chambers in Auschwitz and no extermination of the Jews, gypsies, etc.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby warren on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Several of my clients (who have since passed away) were Nazi concentration camp survivors. I've always wanted to ask these holocaust deniers whether they thought these old people just one day decided, just for fun you know, to tattoo serial numbers on their arms.
warren

Postby cc nolen on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Not much to do with William Travis....but I knew Mr Sol Rosenburg and I saw his tattoo. It was real folks. :(
cc nolen

Postby fjcamper on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi CC,

This has everything to do with Travis and with our freedom and country.

Tyranny takes many forms. It can be Santa Anna absolving the constitution of 1824 which led, step by step, to the battle of the Alamo, to leftist and radicals battling in the street to deconstruct our founding fathers. You saw how fast Antifa went from Confederate monuments to Thomas Jefferson.

To those people, you have no right to exist.

And you see how quickly the frightened politicians of the besieged counties gave in. Travis saw this too, that it is always easier to give in than fight. To most, he was just a hot headed radical.

The Alamo itself as brick and mortar symbol is on the line now, hated by the left, and they are coming for it. We've safely admired Travis, Bowie, and Crockett from afar since we've become aware of what the Alamo represents. Now it's our turn.

Like the movie intro states, the eternal choice of free men. Endure oppression or resist.

FJC
fjcamper

Postby K Hale on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 pm

Some days I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
K Hale

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:13 am

K Hale wrote:Some days I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Welcome in the club!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 am

warren wrote:Several of my clients (who have since passed away) were Nazi concentration camp survivors. I've always wanted to ask these holocaust deniers whether they thought these old people just one day decided, just for fun you know, to tattoo serial numbers on their arms.

I don´t think they were obsessed with serial numbers. The serial number tattoos were in themselves an indication those people were marked for extermination. You don´t tattoo serial numbers on prisoners you want to set free at some point.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby SantaClaus on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:05 am

Seguin wrote:
warren wrote:Several of my clients (who have since passed away) were Nazi concentration camp survivors. I've always wanted to ask these holocaust deniers whether they thought these old people just one day decided, just for fun you know, to tattoo serial numbers on their arms.

I don´t think they were obsessed with serial numbers. The serial number tattoos were in themselves an indication those people were marked for extermination. You don´t tattoo serial numbers on prisoners you want to set free at some point.

If Travis had a tattoo, I wonder what it would have said. :?:
Maybe his chest was tattooed, "Victory or Death". ;)
SantaClaus

Postby cc nolen on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Kristi; I still cant get your Avatar photo. Maybe I can paste this one on there.
Chris...
Attachments
hhd-21.JPG
hhd-21.JPG (130.08 KiB) Viewed 265 times
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Girl!! Watch that knife!!! :lol:
cc nolen

Postby warren on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm sorry this is off topic -but I would like to salute this man and his brother, who were both friends and clients of mine. Anytime I think I've had it tough, I read Monty Kuper's obituary. Here it is and it is really worth the read: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/housto ... =154023271. He rarely talked about his past life, choosing to focus on the future.

When I think of my friends that had the serial number tattoos (Monty didn't, Leon did), I realize they would have been young healthy men at the time of entering the camps. They were not immediately gassed and therefore used as slave labor, and that and luck allowed to them to survive the end of the war.
warren

Postby cc nolen on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 pm

K Hale wrote:Some days I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

C'mon Kristi....give us your opinion. You have me wondering if you are laughing or crying. :lol: :cry: .
tell it as you see it.
Of course, I am also wondering how we got from WBT to WW-2 in just a few posts??? :shock: Probably my fault, hell...everything else is. :lol:
Go ahead; The floor is yours. Chris...
cc nolen

Postby fjcamper on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 pm

CC, et. al.

The subject jumped from Travis to WWII because of politics.

My guess is most of the forum posters would like to get away from politics and just apolitically continue on as we were.

The problem is politics will eventually come to you, like it or not.

FJC
fjcamper

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:51 am

Thank you. Every time I go here, just hoping to see something about Travis, it is totally unrelated stuff that I sort of come to the forum TO GET AWAY FROM! Please!
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:27 am

SantaClaus wrote:
Seguin wrote:

If Travis had a tattoo, I wonder what it would have said. :?:
Maybe his chest was tattooed, "Victory or Death". ;)

Or full of tattoos of all the women he had been "intimate" with. He was a bit of a lover boy - "That´s Elvira on my left chest and Lulu on my right. On my thighs you have Esmeralda and Juanita, and on my back you have Gertrude, Sophie and Sally. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:44 am

warren wrote:I'm sorry this is off topic -but I would like to salute this man and his brother, who were both friends and clients of mine. Anytime I think I've had it tough, I read Monty Kuper's obituary. Here it is and it is really worth the read: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/housto ... =154023271. He rarely talked about his past life, choosing to focus on the future.

When I think of my friends that had the serial number tattoos (Monty didn't, Leon did), I realize they would have been young healthy men at the time of entering the camps. They were not immediately gassed and therefore used as slave labor, and that and luck allowed to them to survive the end of the war.

My granddad and uncle were in the Neuengamme concentration camp outside Hamburg. They were in the resistance and the Nazis caught them in late 1944. They arrived in the camp in December and by February my uncle was dead from some disease, probably dysentery. He was 19 years old. My granddad survived thanks to the Swedish "white buses" which rescued Scandinavian prisoners at the end of the war after agreement with top SS Nazi, Himmler. The Swedes found him unconscious in a pile of dead bodies. he had be put there because the Nazis though he was as good as dead anyway. After the war my uncles body (as well as other Scandinavian bodies) was dug up and identified by his dental records. It was shipped to Denmark and buried in a special cemetery for people of the resistance. I have some of the official documents such as the letter telling my grandma her son had died and a letter from the Red Cross telling her what food items she could send to her husband and son. The Danish prisoners were lucky in that respect because no other prisoners could receive food packages. It was´nt much though and only once a month or so, but it helped keeping them alive while they performed slave labor on very meager food rations which could hardly be called food. They were lucky if it amounted to 1100 calories a day and doing hard work you need at least 2400 calories a day. No wonder, they soon looked like walking skeletons.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Mark Lemon is working hard to have the "Death of Travis" painting for us at HHD's in San Antonio. This year Brian and his Team have changed the day to Sunday the 4th of March for the Alamo Society Symposium at The Menger. > I will try and schedule our little "Bowies at the Perch" for sometime on Saturday the 3rd of March. More to come as it gets closer.
The Death of Travis painting has been in the works for some time now but I know Mark's work is worth the wait. Hard to believe this all started back in 2013 with Mark and I sitting at a Bar drawing images on napkins. :lol:
Try to be in San Antonio in March of 2018. I believe it will be a great time for all. :D
Chris...
PS: I have asked Mark to share his work with us on the Forum. I hope he will, as he did with Crockett and Bowie.
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:25 pm

cc nolen wrote:Mark Lemon is working hard to have the "Death of Travis" painting for us at HHD's in San Antonio. This year Brian and his Team have changed the day to Sunday the 4th of March for the Alamo Society Symposium at The Menger. > I will try and schedule our little "Bowies at the Perch" for sometime on Saturday the 3rd of March. More to come as it gets closer.
The Death of Travis painting has been in the works for some time now but I know Mark's work is worth the wait. Hard to believe this all started back in 2013 with Mark and I sitting at a Bar drawing images on napkins. :lol:
Try to be in San Antonio in March of 2018. I believe it will be a great time for all. :D
Chris...
PS: I have asked Mark to share his work with us on the Forum. I hope he will, as he did with Crockett and Bowie.

Well, don't forget that it already has its own thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1891&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=120#p173408
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 pm

10/4 Ned. :D
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Perhaps this will be my last Travis Park post in this thread. I know including happenings at the park here
have made this thread go way off topic, but I just thought it was a good and positive thing that, in such a
short time, the park has become a place where people from all walks of life want to gather once more in
harmony.

Jazz’SALive Festival Enlivens Weekend in Travis Park
Jeffrey Sullivan for THE Rivard Report 10 hours ago
TravisParkJazzFestival2017.jpg
TravisParkJazzFestival2017.jpg (73.64 KiB) Viewed 46 times

Jazz fans and curious visitors alike were downtown listening to the tunes playing at Travis Park on Friday and Saturday during the 34th annual
Jazz’SALive music festival. Five groups of jazz artists performed for hundreds of visitors situated in the park to hear the concert.

The two-day festival featured food, drink, and shopping booths and engaging community events along with live music that played well into the
night. Organized by the San Antonio Parks Foundation and the City’s Parks and Recreation Department, the event is the city’s official jazz
music festival.

Famous jazz musicians have been featured at the festival for years. Some former headliners include Dave Brubeck, Dianne Reeves, and Wayne
Shorter, to name a few.

Kevin Eubanks headlined the festival this year and played songs from his newly released album East West Time Line. The release follows an 18-
year long career with the Tonight Show Band.

“He’s really made a name for himself as a guitarist at The Tonight Show,” said KRTU General Manager JJ Lopez. KRTU is San Antonio’s local
jazz station and one of the festival’s media sponsors. The radio station broadcast the performances live to 91.7 listeners tuning into the
concert around the city.

“He’s a very respectable jazz musician, even before The Tonight Show,” Lopez continued. “When [the new album] arrived everybody was
thrilled because it was really exciting, adventurous, a little gritty, and that’s what we like at KRTU.”

Aaron Prado Sextet, Adrian Ruiz Quintet, Jose Amador and NATIAO, and the U.S. Air Force Band of the West Dimensions in Blue with Wayne
Bergeron also played the main stage Saturday. Groups of people clustered on folding chairs and picnic blankets laid out near shady trees.

Visitors walking through the newly renovated Travis Park, now displaying bright plant life and colorful flowers in the center mound, enjoyed
food and drinks from booths temporarily lining the square. Beer stands stood next to vendors selling mini tacos, gorditas, kabobs, paella,
and turkey legs. Funnel cakes weren’t far away either.

An instrument petting zoo, organized by the Youth Orchestra of San Antonio (YOSA), was a highlight with the festival’s youngest visitors.
Punctuating the jazz tracks carrying through the park were brief notes coming from violins, violas, and cellos that orchestra members had
brought and community members experimented with.

“Instrument petting zoos are actually a really great way for young musicians, and older musicians as well, to kind of just try out a variety of
different instruments,” said Tyler Benware, operations manager for YOSA. “It’s a nice chance for us to get out in the community and just
let people who wouldn’t normally play an instrument have that experience.”

After more than three decades of performances, the festival has become a staple for some of the city’s most enthusiastic jazz fans.

“It has its subtle changes, it adapts to new demographics, or it may experiment with doing a few things,” Lopez said. “But overall I think
it’s a great success.”

Jeffrey Sullivan is a Rivard Report editorial intern. He graduated from Trinity University with a degree in Political Science.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby SantaClaus on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:12 pm

An instrument petting zoo at a jazz festival in Travis Park. I'd never before heard of an instrument petting zoo. Sounds cool, man. Real cool. 8-)

Never associated jazz with Travis. Now Crockett, he's different. You can easily imagine hearing Davy playing his jazzed up fiddle on the walls of the Alamo. Davy Crockett playing jazz and doin' the hoochie coochie. The King of the Wild Frontier and The Jack of Jazz. But Travis seems a little too stiff collared and tight to get down and go all loosey goosey. Bowie liked all kinds of music, and was renowned for his skill of hitting all the sharp notes. ;)
SantaClaus

Previous

Return to Alamo Research.