EVOLUTION OF THE BOWIE KNIFE

Archivist John Farkis.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: EVOLUTION OF THE BOWIE KNIFE

Postby Seguin on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:56 am

NefariousNed wrote:Would a scimitar be considered a clip point, or double clip point? At any rate, the style
has been around for years. Might the Bowie Brothers have read "The Arabian Knights"?
I'm sure Travis and Houston probably did.

I should think there can only be one clip point on a knife or scimitar. Pretty cool blade on that scimitar!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:11 pm

warren wrote:Chris - Is that a maker's mark in your color picture of Able's No. 1, and what does it say or represent? From first glance, It is very similar in looks and location on that weird knife I found that had the three brass studs in the blade.

Warren; the photo I posted of the famous Ables # 1 is a replica of the original.
The hallmark you see on the blade is a RM. The knife was made for me by Rich McDonald of Hillsboro OH.
Here is the original Ables # 1. Enjoy...
Attachments
abels # 1 - A.JPG
abels # 1 - A.JPG (31.61 KiB) Viewed 538 times
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:18 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Would a scimitar be considered a clip point, or double clip point? At any rate, the style
has been around for years. Might the Bowie Brothers have read "The Arabian Knights"?
I'm sure Travis and Houston probably did.

Sure would Ned. Thats a good looking sword.
The whole idea of James Bowie or Rezin Bowie inventing the "clip" point is just another Myth in the Bowie saga.
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:45 pm

There has been a book printed about the enormous Bowie Knife Display at the Historic Arkansas Museum (HAM) ~ in Little Rock back in 2014.
It was put together by Mark Zalesky and Bill Worthen. Most of you know Mark Z. is the editor of KNIFE MAGAZINE and Bill just retired as Curator
of the HAM.
--> There will be a book signing this coming Sunday (Dec. 3rd.) at the HAM from 1:pm - 4:pm.
Mark will have some of his antique knives on display, and I will have around 20 replicas also. --> The Museum is quite a place to see as well.
Join us if you can.
Chris...
PS: Right now I have no info on how to purchase a copy of the book. You can contact the Historic Arkansas Museum for details.
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Here is the information on the Historic Arkansas Museum in Little Rock.
H.A.M.
200 East Third Street
Little Rock, Arkansas. 72201
Phone: 501-324-9351

Book Signing; Sunday, December 3rd from 1:pm - 4:pm
cc nolen

Postby Seguin on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:00 am

cc nolen wrote:There has been a book printed about the enormous Bowie Knife Display at the Historic Arkansas Museum (HAM) ~ in Little Rock back in 2014.
It was put together by Mark Zalesky and Bill Worthen. Most of you know Mark Z. is the editor of KNIFE MAGAZINE and Bill just retired as Curator
of the HAM.
--> There will be a book signing this coming Sunday (Dec. 3rd.) at the HAM from 1:pm - 4:pm.
Mark will have some of his antique knives on display, and I will have around 20 replicas also. --> The Museum is quite a place to see as well.
Join us if you can.
Chris...
PS: Right now I have no info on how to purchase a copy of the book. You can contact the Historic Arkansas Museum for details.

That´s great! You´re welcome to post a few pages from the book when you get it.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 pm

cc nolen wrote::lol: Well, I guess I do Hog this Thread. - The pics are real nice Ned. The one knife that is real interesting in the table photo is in the lower right portion of the picture. It has some early castings at the pommel and ferrule. It looks like it has an Ivory slab handle....wish I could have seen the blade.
The attachment HeritageDay2017-12.jpg is no longer available
The attachment HeritageDay2017-11.jpg is no longer available

Thanks for your time, and work to get us these photos. :? Dinner on me, when I see ya! :D
Also, I am digging deep about the statement that I made saying John Bowie was married to Elijah Stewart's daughter. Stewart was a worker at James Black's Forge. I have discovered that John was married to Nancy Scroggins, and then a second time to America Watkins.
I have a message out now to Joe Musso and I will post the findings. --> I also ask Steve Snieder to give input if he reads this post....as well as Jack Edmondson and anyone else who can help with this question....Many thanks in advance. ***More to come.
Chris...

IT TOOK A WHILE TO GET JOE MUSSO TO SEND ME INFORMATION OF THE WIVES OF JOHN BOWIE. HERE WE GO. :D
Attachments
musso jb.JPG
musso jb.JPG (110.6 KiB) Viewed 256 times
cc nolen

Postby AlamoAaron on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 pm

Does anyone know the dimensions of the Bowie knife carried by Jason Patric in the 2004 Alamo?
AlamoAaron

Postby cc nolen on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:44 pm

I surely do.
The Bowie Knife carried by Jason Patrick was modeled after the famous Musso Knife now owned by the Alamo.
It is a little smaller than the Musso Knife.
The 2004 Bowie has a 5 inch handle and a 12 & 3/4 inch blade. The width of the blade at widest point is 3 inches. It has a 4 and 1/2 inch clip and the blade is 3/16 thick with a brass strip of 6 and 3/4 in along the spine.
The S-guard is 5 1/4 across.
Below is a photo of the 2004 copy I had done for me by Rich McDonald of Hillsboro Ohio. Hope this helps.
Chris...
Attachments
2004 knife 3.JPG
2004 knife 3.JPG (40.5 KiB) Viewed 91 times
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:46 pm

The 2004 knife in use.......
Attachments
bowie 04 -.JPG
bowie 04 -.JPG (32.97 KiB) Viewed 89 times
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:49 pm

This is the knife photograph when it left the shop of Tony Swatton the original maker....Note; it had an antique finish done at the studio by the prop master Don Milolivitch.
Tony Swatton owns Sword and Stone - Hollywood Reproductions...
Attachments
2004 knife 2.JPG
2004 knife 2.JPG (25.16 KiB) Viewed 85 times
cc nolen

Postby AlamoAaron on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:32 pm

cc nolen wrote:I surely do.
The Bowie Knife carried by Jason Patrick was modeled after the famous Musso Knife now owned by the Alamo.
It is a little smaller than the Musso Knife.
The 2004 Bowie has a 5 inch handle and a 12 & 3/4 inch blade. The width of the blade at widest point is 3 inches. It has a 4 and 1/2 inch clip and the blade is 3/16 thick with a brass strip of 6 and 3/4 in along the spine.
The S-guard is 5 1/4 across.
Below is a photo of the 2004 copy I had done for me by Rich McDonald of Hillsboro Ohio. Hope this helps.
Chris...

Thanks, Chris!
AlamoAaron

Postby cc nolen on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm

You are very welcome...........If you want one made, contact Rich McDonald or Mark Banfield. ;) they are on the Net.
Attachments
bowie 04 - 1.JPG
bowie 04 - 1.JPG (38.84 KiB) Viewed 30 times
cc nolen

Previous

Return to Alamo Research.