Auctioning Off The Personal Property of John Wayne

Discuss Topics About " Movies & Television "

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Auctioning Off The Personal Property of John Wayne

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:49 am

Joseph Musso attended the Heritage auction with positive results.

SAYS JOE:

Thanks to Heritage Auctions for photographing the hat backwards with its crown pushed up and for saying that the hat was from only "Legend of the Lost," I was able to get the John Wayne cavalry style hat from "Fort Apache," "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon," Rio Grande," Hondo," and "Rio Bravo" at the first low bid ( with the buyer's premium). I also got JW's cavalry kepi from "Fort Apache, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and "Rio Grande," because they made an even bigger mistake by saying it was worn by Hoot Gibson in "The Horse Soldiers." These were the two items in the auction that I wanted the most since those titles are among my favorite JW films. And I didn't have to hock the farm and my arm and leg to do it.

A while after I won the items, but while the auction was still going on at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Century City, CA, John Wayne's son, Ethan, congratulated me and said that they'd found out too late about the other films they were used in. With the exception of Aissa, JW's other still living children, Patrick, Melinda and Marisa and his oldest granddaughter, Anita, were amongst his family in attendance, as well as at the private reception last Monday evening. They served a great lunch and dinner, Au gratis, during the auction. It was a long day, but a real JW day with his family and amongst all his memorabilia. It would be the last time all his personal items would be together.

JW's other headgear was properly identified and went for considerably more than the items I bought. Another similar cavalry style hat from his later films, "The Cowboys," "Big Jake" and "The Train Robbers," sold for $119,500. His beret from "The Green Berets" brought $179,250. His other cowboy hats averaged between $30-50,000. His only holster and gun belt in the auction (from "Elderado"), sold for $77,675. His vests went from $20-70,000. His boots went from $4-18,000. His saddle sold for $71,700. His eye patch from "True Grit" went for $47,800. His driver's license brought $89,625. His personal writing desk went for $56,762.50. All told, the auction brought in over $5,000,000.

However, JW's cavalry hat is now resting comfortably on his "Rio Bravo" red bib shirt and his kepi is on his "Fort Apache" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" cavalry tunic in my abode.

Joe
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:31 pm

The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby AlamoMo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks for posting these links Ned

There has been a lot of coverage and interest over here in the UK

Regards

Mo
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby cc nolen on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:17 pm

They are going to have to re-zone Joe Musso's home.....because it really is a Museum.. :lol:
cc nolen

Postby MartyB on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 am

Of interest...

http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?s ... IdNo=70001

More Wayne memorabilia going on sale in December...from our friends over at Heritage Auctions...
Attachments
zart-9_o6_CrockettCoatWayneAlamo.jpg
zart-9_o6_CrockettCoatWayneAlamo.jpg (80.98 KiB) Viewed 802 times
zart-9_o6_CrockettCoatWayneAlamo2.jpg
zart-9_o6_CrockettCoatWayneAlamo2.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 801 times
zart-9_o6_CrockettCoatWayneAlamo3.jpg
zart-9_o6_CrockettCoatWayneAlamo3.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby findem_killem on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Does anyone know if Wayne had more than one of these jackets made for The Alamo? Seems like I saw this jacket in other movies but the fringe was cut short. If I can remember which movie/movies I will post it.
findem_killem

Postby wconly on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Man oh man...this is one time I wish I had some money to blow! I have always loved that particular jacket. Oh well...one can dream! W>
wconly

Postby JoeFDNY146 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Nefarious wrote:Joseph Musso attended the Heritage auction with positive results.

SAYS JOE:

Thanks to Heritage Auctions for photographing the hat backwards with its crown pushed up and for saying that the hat was from only "Legend of the Lost," I was able to get the John Wayne cavalry style hat from "Fort Apache," "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon," Rio Grande," Hondo," and "Rio Bravo" at the first low bid ( with the buyer's premium). I also got JW's cavalry kepi from "Fort Apache, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and "Rio Grande," because they made an even bigger mistake by saying it was worn by Hoot Gibson in "The Horse Soldiers." These were the two items in the auction that I wanted the most since those titles are among my favorite JW films. And I didn't have to hock the farm and my arm and leg to do it.

A while after I won the items, but while the auction was still going on at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Century City, CA, John Wayne's son, Ethan, congratulated me and said that they'd found out too late about the other films they were used in. With the exception of Aissa, JW's other still living children, Patrick, Melinda and Marisa and his oldest granddaughter, Anita, were amongst his family in attendance, as well as at the private reception last Monday evening. They served a great lunch and dinner, Au gratis, during the auction. It was a long day, but a real JW day with his family and amongst all his memorabilia. It would be the last time all his personal items would be together.

JW's other headgear was properly identified and went for considerably more than the items I bought. Another similar cavalry style hat from his later films, "The Cowboys," "Big Jake" and "The Train Robbers," sold for $119,500. His beret from "The Green Berets" brought $179,250. His other cowboy hats averaged between $30-50,000. His only holster and gun belt in the auction (from "Elderado"), sold for $77,675. His vests went from $20-70,000. His boots went from $4-18,000. His saddle sold for $71,700. His eye patch from "True Grit" went for $47,800. His driver's license brought $89,625. His personal writing desk went for $56,762.50. All told, the auction brought in over $5,000,000.

However, JW's cavalry hat is now resting comfortably on his "Rio Bravo" red bib shirt and his kepi is on his "Fort Apache" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" cavalry tunic in my abode.

Joe

These are the Two Hats From the auction Joe
Attachments
9686455_1_l.jpg
9686455_1_l.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 706 times
9686440_1_l.jpg
9686440_1_l.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 707 times
"LEST WE FORGET"
JoeFDNY146

Postby JoeFDNY146 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:05 am

Think this is the above Hat??? Joe
Attachments
ashley11nov9.jpg
ashley11nov9.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 678 times
"LEST WE FORGET"
JoeFDNY146

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:42 pm

Just a rough guess but I don't think so. It looks more like the one from "Big Jake". I thought the one in the picture was pretty much damged by Sammy Davis while filming "Sergeants 3" after Duke lent it to him.
Fargo Fenwyck

John Wayne Hat at Auction

Postby wconly on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:50 am

Bid high! Bid fast! I think I might pass on this one. Would be cool to own, but a bit out of my league: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... 2294665312

W>
wconly

Previous

Return to Movies & Television